Alternatives to the Use of Animals in Research
- ALTEX: Alternatives to Animal Experimentation
From the European Society for Alternative Methods to Animal Experiments (MEGAT)
- Altox.org (2008)
Validated/Accepted Alternative Methods.
- Altweb: Alternatives to Animal Testing on the Web
The Johns Hopkins Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing (CAAT) aims to find new methods to replace the use of laboratory animals in experiments, reduce the number of animals tested, and refine necessary tests to eliminate pain and distress.
- Future Improvements: Replacement in Vitro Methods Balls M. (2002) ILAR 43(Suppl.)
- Replacement of Animal Procedures: Alternatives in Research, Education and Testing Balls M. (1994) Laboratory Animals 28:193-211.
- European Union Reference Laboratory for Alternatives to Animal Testing (EURL-ECVAM)
A scientific information service on advanced alternative methods in biomedical sciences.
- Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments
The long-term goal of the organisation is the total elimination of laboratory animal use, through the development, validation and acceptance of replacement alternative methods.
InterNICHE is an open and diverse network comprising students, teachers and animal campaigners. The network focuses on animal use and alternatives within biological science, medical and veterinary medical education.
- Medical Advances Without Animals Trust
The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs) provides a UK focus for the promotion, development and implementation of the 3Rs in animal research.
Netherlands Knowledge Centre On Alternatives to Animal Use (NKCA) is the central point in the Netherlands for coordinating research and disseminating information on alternatives to animal experiments. The site has links to information and resources for alternatives to animal use.
The NTP Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM) and the Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods (ICCVAM).
- The UCDavis Center for Animal Alternatives
The centre places special emphasis on disseminating up-to-date information concerning animal alternatives through every level of public and private education. It also seeks to provide investigators who use animals with information on the most current methods for improving all aspects of animal care during their work.
- The Norwegian Reference Centre for Laboratory Animal Science & Alternatives