Sending us Samples?
AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) has very strict guidelines with regard to the importation of biological goods. If you intend sending us samples and wish to avoid unnecessary delays, then please read the following:
We have import permits for genetic material - extracted DNA from non-virulent micro-organisms; sera blood or tissue samples from most animal species; bone, horn or tusk (including human teeth & bone); soil samples & related material; and water samples. If your samples fall into any of the above classifications, please follow the below steps, otherwise contact our office for acceptance with regard to sending other material.
- Your shipment must be accompanied by a signed and dated declaration letter on business letterhead stating what goods are enclosed including a samples list and a copy of our AQIS import permit(s). Apply here to obtain a copy. The declaration letter should also state:
- what animal/soil/plant and what part of the animal/plant/soil is enclosed;
- the country of origin / where it was sourced;
- how the goods were packed, eg. in 20mls or 20gms for each individual sample. Ideally they should be packed in clean new packaging such as falcon tubes or zip lock bags and must be free of contamination. Please note: AQIS may apply stringent sterilisation processes on samples if they discover samples are not packed accordingly;
- what AQIS permit number(s) the samples are being imported with; and
- declare that the goods are non-hazardous (if that is the case), have no commercial value (NCV), and are for in vitro use only at the ACAD laboratory.
- Place the declaration letter and AQIS permit in an envelope and affix to the outside of the parcel (this means outside the mail bag if one is used). Mark the envelope 'ATTENTION AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE'. If posting via a courier DO NOT place the documents inside the address pouch as this has caused issues in previous occasions, like paperwork falling out of the pouch. It is also advisable to write the import permit number directly on the outside of the package/decleration envelope.
- Mark the parcel if it is to be refrigerated upon arrival, eg MUST BE REFRIGERATED UPON DELIVERY.
Our shipment address is:
Attention: Name of the ACAD staff you are dealing with
Australian Centre for Ancient DNA (ACAD)
The University of Adelaide
North Terrace Campus
C/o Molecular Life Sciences Building
Gate 8 off Victoria Drive
ADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5005
For any queries relating to delivery of samples, please contact our Office here
Note for ACAD staff, please ask your overseas collaborator for their country's policy/protocols to export samples from Australia and into the relevant country.
Sample collection guideline for ancient human specimens
The Australian Centre for Ancient DNA has complied a sample collection guideline relating to ancient DNA analysis of human specimen associated with the National Geographic Society's Genographic Project.
The document provides some project background information and protocols that should be followed when sampling for ancient human remains. Interested researchers who use this information in written or verbal communication are asked to cite the following website, www.adelaide.edu.au/acad/samples or acknowledge the authors. Click here to download the guide.