Postgraduate Essay Prize and Bursuries
George Yule Essay Prize
The George Yule Prize will be awarded to the best essay written by a postgraduate in connection with the Sixth ANZAMEMS Conference, 7-10 February, 2006. The following conditions apply.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled for postgraduate study at a university in Australia or New Zealand, and proof of enrolment will be required on submission of the essay.
- Any essay submitted should be no more than 3500 words long (excluding footnotes), on a topic of the writer's choice within the fields of medieval and early modern studies. Each essay should be adequately footnoted and documented, with a bibliography. Essays, together with a statement of enrolment status (proof must be available upon request), should be sent as e-mail attachments to the conference convenors, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The word-limit applies to the written version of the paper. The aural version must be strictly limited to a delivery length of 20 minutes.
- The essay will be judged by a panel consisting of the President (ex officio) and two other members of ANZAMEMS, one of whom will be either the editor, or the deputy editor, of Parergon.
- The winner will receive a travel bursary for assistance in attending the conference (amount to be determined), $500 in prize money, and a year's free subscription to Parergon.
(i) Should the winner be a currently paid-up subscriber to Parergon, the year's free subscription will commence on the expiry of the current subscription.
(ii) Should the winner be resident in the conference host city, the travel bursary may be applied to other travel connected with study.
- The prize will be presented at the conference dinner, and the winner will present the paper at a plenary session of the conference. (The winner will receive a complimentary ticket for the annual dinner.)
- The writer of the winning paper will be encouraged to submit the paper for publication in Parergon, subject to the usual process of refereeing.
The deadline for submissions is 15 December 2006.
Postgraduate/ Recent Graduate Travel Bursaries
Both ANZAMEMS and the ARC Network for Early European Studies (NEER) have funds available for current or recent postgraduates who are currently unwaged, to sponsor them to attend the conference and deliver a paper at a session. The NEER funds are reserved for Australian-based candidates. It is hoped that there will be 15-20 bursaries available in total at about $500 each, but the number and amount of funding available will be determined in due course after the ANZAMEMS and NEER committees consider the applications. See also further below about the Kim Walker Bursary.
Applicants must be:
-in less than .5 of full employment
-currently enrolled in a postgraduate programme, or have graduated with a postgraduate degree (MA by research or Ph.D) within the last two years. (Proof of enrolment or date of graduation is required.)
-(NEER bursaries are reserved for postgraduates based in Australia)
In the event of there being more than eligible applicants than can be supported, the ANZAMEMS Conference Committee will select and notify the winners on the basis of the distance to be traveled to Adelaide. The decision of the committee is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Details of how successful applicants are to receive their bursaries will be finalised in due course.
Kim Walker Postgraduate Travel Bursary
One of the travel bursary applicants will be selected for the Kim Walker Travel Bursary of $500. The successful applicant for this bursary will be a New Zealand postgraduate in particular need who is giving a conference paper , with preference given to those working on the subject of Early Modern Women’s writing. If you think you are eligible for this bursary please indicate so on the application form.
Applications should consist of an e-mail with name, e-mail address, postal address, institution where enrolled or previously enrolled, title of paper, abstract, proof of enrollment or recent graduation, and be sent by e-mail to the conference convenors, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.