|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Dr Darren Trott
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
I completed my veterinary degree at Murdoch University and worked in small animal practice for eight years. Following an honours project on Listeria moncytogenes I became interested in the ecology of infectious diseases and completed a PhD with Prof David Hampson on intestinal spirochaetes (awarded in 1998). After completing a three year post-doc at the National Animal Disease Center in Ames, Iowa, USA, I accepted a lectureship at The University of Queensland (UQ) School of Veterinary Science in 2000. I taught veterinary microbiology to veterinary undergraduates at UQ for 10 years and conducted research on gastrointestinal diseases and microbial ecology and antimicrobial resistance in companion animals and livestock. I joined The University of Adelaide School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences in January 2010 and my research areas have expanded to also include the development of new antimicrobials for superbug infections.
BSc (Hon) (1991)
BVMS (Hon) (1990)
Veterinary bacteriology and mycology
Antimicrobial chemotherapy, prudent use, infection control and mitigation of resistance
Veterinary diagnostic microbiology
1) Antimicrobial resistance and virulence in zooanthroponotic bacterial pathogens (extraintestinal pathogenic E. coli and MRSA)
2) New antimicrobial agents for superbug infections
3) Gastrointestinal microbial ecology in iconic Australian wildlife (koalas and dugongs)
4) Hindgut bacterial ecology, laminitis and colonic cancer
5) Contract research for pharmaceutical companies (antimicrobial susceptibility profiling for APVMA registration of new drugs , characterization of new antimicrobial agents, animal models of bacterial disease)
1. Litster, A, Moss, SM, Honnery, M, Rees, R and DJ Trott (2007) Prevalence of bacterial species in cats with clinical signs of lower urinary tract disease: Recognition of Staphylococcus felis as a possible feline urinary tract pathogen. Vet. Microbiol. 121, 182-8.
2. Wu X-Y, Chapman TA, Trott DJ, Bettelheim KA, Do TN, Driesen S, Walker MJ and JC Chin (2007) Comparative analysis of virulence genes, genetic diversity and phylogeny between commensal and enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli from weaned pigs. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73, 83-91.
3. Sidjabat, HE, Hanson ND, Smith-Molland, E, Bell, J, Gibson, J, Filippich, L and DJ Trott (2007) Identification of plasmid mediated ESBL and AmpC β-lactamases and other associated resistance genes in Enterobacter cloacae isolated from dogs. J. Med. Microbiol. 56, 426-434.
4. Milinovich, GJ, Trott, DJ, Burrell, PC, Croser, EM, Al Jassim, RAM, Morton, JM, van Eps, AN and CC Pollitt (2007) Fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis of hindgut bacteria associated with the development of equine laminitis. Environ. Microbiol. 9, 2090-2100.
5. Litster, A, Moss, SM, Honnery, M, Rees, B Edingloh, M and DJ Trott (2007) Clinical efficacy and palatability of pradofloxacin 2.5% oral suspension for the treatment of bacterial lower urinary tract infections in cats. J. Vet. Intern. Med. 21, 990-995.
6. Mizuno, T, Ploeg R and DJ Trott (2007) A new concept to stimulate mucosal as well as systemic immunity by parenteral vaccination as applied to the development of a live attenuated Salmonella enterica serovar Dublin vaccine Vet. Res. 38, 773-794.
7. Trott, DJ, Moss, SM, See, A and RA Rees (2007) Evaluation of disc diffusion and MIC testing for determining susceptibility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates to topical enrofloxacin/silver sulfadiazine. Aust. Vet. J. 85, 464-466.
8. Milinovich, GJ, Burrell, PC, Pollitt, CC and Trott, DJ (2008) Streptococcus henryi sp. nov. and Streptococcus cabalis sp. nov.: Two novel streptococci isolated from horses with oligofructose induced laminitis. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 58, 262-268.
9. Mizuno, T, McLennan, M and DJ Trott (2008) Intramuscular vaccination of young calves with a Salmonella Dublin metabolic-drift mutant provides superior protection to oral delivery. Vet. Res. 39, 26.
10. Mikkelsen, D, Milinovich, G, Burrell, P, Huynh S, Pettett, L, Blackall, LL, Trott, DJ and PS Bird (2008) Phylogenetic analysis of Porphyromonas species isolated from the oral cavity of Australian marsupials. Environ. Microbiol. 10, 2425-2432.
11. Symonds, EP, Trott, DJ, Bird, PS and P Mills (2008) Growth characteristics and enzyme activity in Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis isolates. Mycologia 116, 143-147.
12. Gibson, JS, Morton, JM, Cobbold, RN, Sidjabat, HE, Filippich LJ and DJ Trott (2008) Multidrug-resistant E. coli and Enterobacter extraintestinal infection in thirty-seven dogs. J. Vet. Int. Med. 22, 844-850.
13. Tree, JJ, Ulett, GC, Ong, CY, Trott, DJ, McEwan, AG and MA Schembri (2008) Trade-off between iron uptake and protection against oxidative stress: deletion of cueO promotes UPEC virulence in a mouse model of urinary tract infection. J. Bacteriol. 190, 6909-6912.
14. Milinovich, GJ, Burrell, PC, Pollitt, CC, Klieve, AV, Blackall, LL, Ouwerkerk, D, Woodland, E and DJ Trott (2008) Microbial ecology of the equine hindgut during oligofructose-induced laminitis. ISME J. 2, 1089-1100.
15. Litster AL, Moss SM and DJ Trott (2008) Urinary tract infection in cats. J. Small Anim. Pract. 49, 548.
16. Litster, AL, Moss, SM, Platell, J and DJ Trott (2009) Occult bacterial lower urinary tract infections in cats – urinalysis and culture findings. Vet. Microbiol. 136, 130-134.
17. Sidjabat HE, Chin JJ-C, Chapman, T, Wu, K, Ong, CY, Ulett, GC, Schembri, MA, Johnson, JR and DJ Trott (2009) Colonisation dynamics and virulence of two clonal groups of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from dogs. Microb. Infect. 11, 100-107.
18. Jordan, D, Chin JJ-C, Fahy, VA, Barton, MD, Smith MG and DJ Trott (2009) Antimicrobial use in the Australian pig industry - results of a national survey. Aust. Vet. J. 87, 222-229.
19. Gibson JS, Cobbold RN, Heisig P, Sidjabat HE, Kyaw-Tanner MT and DJ Trott (2010) Identification of Qnr and AAC(6')-1b-cr plasmid-mediated fluoroquinolone resistance determinants in multidrug-resistant Enterobacter spp. isolated from extraintestinal infections in companion animals. Vet. Microbiol., 143, 329-336.
20. Smith MG, Jordan D, Chapman TA, Chin JJ, Barton MD, Do TN, Fahy VA, Fairbrother JM and DJ Trott (2010) Antimicrobial resistance and virulence gene profiles in multi-drug resistant enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli isolated from pigs with post-weaning diarrhoea. Vet. Microbiol. 145, 299-307. [IF 3.256].
21. Gibson JS, Cobbold RN and DJ Trott (2010) Characterization of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from extraintestinal clinical infections in animals. J. Med. Microbiol. 59, 592-598.
22. Milinovich GJ, Klieve AV, Pollitt CC and DJ Trott (2010) Microbial events in the hindgut during carbohydrate-induced equine laminitis. Vet. Clin. North Am. Equine Pract., 26, 79-94.
23. Platell JL, Cobbold RN, Johnson JR and DJ Trott (2010) Clonal group distribution of fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli among humans and companion animals in Australia. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 65, 1936-1938.
24. Gibson JS, Morton JM, Cobbold RN, Filippich LJ and DJ Trott (2011) Risk factors for multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli rectal colonization of dogs on admission to a veterinary hospital. Epidemiol. Infect. 139, 197-205
25. Gibson JS, Cobbold RN, Kyaw-Tanner MT, Heisig P and DJ Trott (2011) Fluoroquinolone resistance mechanisms in multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli isolated from extraintestinal infections in dogs. Vet. Microbiol. 146, 161-6.
26. Thompson MF, Totsika M, Schembri MA, Mills PC, Seton EJ and DJ Trott (2011) Experimental colonization of the canine urinary tract with the asymptomatic bacteriuria Escherichia coli strain 83972. Vet. Microbiol. 147, 205-8.
27. Gibson JS, Morton JM, Cobbold RN, Filippich LJ and DJ Trott (2011) Risk factors for dogs becoming rectal carriers of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli during hospitalization Epidemiol. Infect. 139, 1511-21
28. Litster AL, Thompson MF, Moss SM and DJ Trott (2011) Feline bacterial urinary tract infections: An update on an evolving clinical problem. Vet J. 187, 18-22.
29. Thompson, MF, Litster, AL, Platell, JL and DJ Trott (2011) Canine bacterial urinary tract infections: New developments in old pathogens. Vet. J. 190, 22-7
30. Jordan D, Simon J, Fury S, Moss S, Giffard P, Maiwald M, Southwell P, Barton MD, Axon JE, Morris SG and DJ Trott (2011) Carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by veterinarians in Australia. Aust. Vet. J. 89, 152-9.
31. Platell JL, Johnson JR, Cobbold RN and DJ Trott (2011) Multidrug-resistant pathogenic Escherichia coli of sequence type ST131 in animals and food. Vet. Microbiol. 153, 99-108.
32. Govendir M, Norris JM, Hansen, T, Wigney, DI, Muscatello, G, Trott, DJ and R Malik (2011) Susceptibility of rapidly growing Mycobacteria and Nocardia isolates from cats and dogs to pradofloxacin. Vet. Microbiol. 153, 240-245.
33. Platell, JL, Cobbold, RN, Johnson, JR, Heisig, A, Heisig, P, Clabots, C, Kuskowski, MA and DJ Trott (2011) Commonality among fluoroquinolone-resistant sequence type ST131 extraintestinal Escherichia coli isolates from humans and companion animals in Australia. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 55, 3782-3787.
34. Platell, JL, Cobbold, RN, Wetzstein, H-G, Leitner, M and DJ Trott (2011) Phylogenetic grouping, antibiotic resistance profile, fluoroquinolone susceptibility and ST131 status of canine extraintestinal Escherichia coli isolates from submissions to a Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory 2005-2008. J. Vet. Sci. Tech. doi: 10.4172/2157-7579.S6-001.[New open access journal-invitation to contribute to special issue].
35. Bateman, FL, Moss, SM, Trott, DJ and MA Shipstone (2012) Biological efficacy and stability of diluted ticarcillin-clavulanic acid in the topical treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections. Vet. Dermatol. 23, 97-102.
36. Platell, JL, Cobbold, RN, Johnson, JR, Clabots, CR and DJ Trott (2012) Fluoroquinolone-resistant extraintestinal Escherichia coli clinical isolates representing the O15:K52:H1 clonal group from humans and dogs in Australia. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. Feb 29. [Epub ahead of print]
37. Johnson, JR, Nicolas-Chanoine, MH, DebRoy, C, Castanheira, M, Robicsek, A, Hansen, G, Weissman, S, Urban, C, Platell, J, Trott, D, Zhanel, G, Clabots, C, Johnston, BD and MA Kuskowski (2012) Comparison of Escherichia coli ST131 pulsotypes by epidemiologic traits, 1967-2009. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 18, 598-607.
38. Thompson, MF, Schembri, MA, Mills, PC and DJ Trott (2012) A modified three-dose protocol for colonization of the canine urinary tract with the asymptomatic bacteriuria Escherichia coli strain 83972. Vet. Microbiol. Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print]
39. Platell, JL, Trott, DJ, Johnson, JR, Heisig, P, Heisig, A, Clabots, CR, Johnston, B and RN Cobbold (2012) Prominence of an O75 clonal group (clonal complex 14) among non-ST131 fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli causing extraintestinal infections in humans and dogs in Australia. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. Apr 23. [Epub ahead of print]
40. Trott, DJ (2012) β-lactam resistance in Gram-negative pathogens isolated from animals. Curr. Pharm. Des., (in press)
41. Eigland, KA, Lanyon, JM, Trott, DJ, Ouwerkerk, D, Blanshard, W, Milinovich, GJ, Gulino, L-M, Martinez, E, Merson, S and AV Klieve (2012) Bacterial community structure in the hindgut of wild and captive dugongs, Dugong dugon. Aquatic Mammals 38, (in press)
Member of the Animal Health Australian Infectious Diseases Advisory Panel (since 2010).
AIDAP is an independent panel of companion animal veterinary specialists sponsored by Pfizer Animal Health. It is currently developing evidence-based policy and procedures to advise companion animal veterinarians in Australia on the treatment of infectious diseases in dogs and cats, particularly to mitigate the development of antibiotic resistance. AIDAP has conducted the first survey on antibiotic prescribing practices by Australian companion animal veterinarians in over 20 years (results to be published shortly) and is currently developing antibiotic prudent use guidelines for the recommended treatment of the most common infectious diseases in dogs and cats in Australia.
Copyright © 2010 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 16/08/2012 M&SC
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M