Gareth Pritchard joined the School of History and Politics in January 2011 after previously working in universities in Britain (University of Glamorgan and University of Wales) and New Zealand (University of Canterbury). His teaching at Adelaide focuses on the history of Europe in the twentieth century, and above all on modern Russian history and the history of Europe after World War II.
• The social history of European politics since 1943
• Political protest movements since 1944
• Minority nationalisms in contemporary Europe
• Language rights and political conflict
• European Communism
• Niemandsland: The History of Unoccupied Germany, 1945-46 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, forthcoming).
• The Making of the GDR (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2004).
• Power and the People: A Social History of Central European Politics, 1945-56 (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2005).
Chapters in edited volume
• ‘The Lübeck Bible’, in Jones, C., Clement, J. and Mathews, B. (eds), Treasures of the University of Canterbury Library (Christchurch: University of Canterbury Press, forthcoming).
• 'Social Democracy in post-war East Germany', in Callaghan, J. and Favretto, I. (eds), Transitions in Social Democracy' (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2006), pp.93-106. [ISBN 978-0-7190-7467-7]
• ‘Women and the Left in post-war East Germany’, in Breuning, E., Lewis, J. and Pritchard, G. (eds), Power and the People: A Social History of Central European Politics (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2005), pp.235-51. [ISBN 0719070686 (HB), 0719070694 (PB)]
• ‘Workers and the Socialist Unity Part of Germany in the summer of 1953’, in Major, P. and Osmond, J. (eds), The Workers’ and Peasants’ State: Communism and Society in East Germany under Ulbricht, 1945-71 (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2002), pp.112-29. [ISBN: 0-7190-6289-6]
• ‘Young People and Youth Movements in the Soviet Zone of Occupied Germany’, in Pynsent, R. (ed.), The Phoney Peace (London: SSEES Publications, 2000), pp.149-61. [ISBN: 0-903425-01-7]
• ‘National Identity in a United and Divided Germany’, in Bideleux, R. and Taylor, R., (eds.), European Integration and Disintegration, Routledge, 1996), pp.154-73. [ISBN: 0-415-13741-1]
Articles in scholarly journal
• 'The occupation of Germany in 1945 and the politics of Germany history', in History Compass, Vol.7, No.2 (2009), pp.447-73.
• ‘The Fall of the Berlin Wall’, in Europe - New Zealand Research Series, No.1, Vol.4, pp.22-29 (2009).
• ‘Schwarzenberg 1945: Antifascists and the “third way” in German politics’, in European History Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 4 (2005), pp.499-522.
Entry last updated: Saturday, 15 Sep 2012