Professor Grant Townsend
Professor of Dental Science
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5968|
Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences Building
- BDS (The Univeristy of Adelaide) 1972 - Topped all years
- BScDent (Hons) (The University of Adelaide) 1973, 1st Class
- PhD (The University of Adelaide) 1976
- DDSc (The University of Adelaide) 1994
BOOK CHAPTERS AND CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS 2001 - 2005
- WINNING TA and TOWNSEND GC 2001 ANZDENTAL: A multi-school network for developing and sharing of PBL packages. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Problem-based Learning in Dental Education, Malmo, Sweden.
- TOWNSEND GC, WINNING T, WETHERELL J, MULLINS G and GREENWOOD F 2001 Evaluation of the Adelaide PBL dental curriculum - the value of a dental school teaching portfolio. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Problem-based Learning in Dental Education, Malmo, Sweden.
- BROWN T and TOWNSEND G 2001 Dentofacial morphology, growth and genetics: a study of Australian Aborigines. In: Perspectives in Human Growth, Development and Maturation (eds) P Dasgupta and RC Hauspie, Kluver Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp 109-122.
- HUGHES T, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2001 Dental arch form in young Australian twins. In: Dental Morphology 2001, (ed) A Brook, Sheffield, UK pp. 309-319
- LEKKAS D, TOWNSEND G, WINNING T and MULLINS G 2001 Experiences of dental students undertaking a hybrid PBL course. Proceedings of the 3rd Asia Pacific Conference on PBL, Yeppoon, Queensland, pp 244-265.
- TOWNSEND G, WINNING T, MULLINS G, WETHERELL J and GREENWOOD F 2001 Problem-based learning in dentistry – the Adelaide Experience: what type of person do you want as your dentist? Proceedings of the 3rd Asia Pacific Conference on PBL, Yeppoon, Queensland, pp 416-424.
- SKINNER V, WINNING T and TOWNSEND G 2001 Using concept maps to investigate changes in the organization and integrate of students’ knowledge. Refereed Proceedings of the Power of Problem-based Learning (eds) P Little and P Kandlebinder, pp 134-148.
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2004 Adult dental problems – part 1, and Dental problems in children and young adolescents – part 2. In: Australian Doctor’s How to Treat, Yearbook 2004, (ed) N Meehan, Elsevier, pp117-128.
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2005 Anatomy of the oral cavity and dentition, Chapters 16-26. In: Textbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Anatomy, Histology, and Embryology. (ed) SR Prabhu, Oxford University Press, pp 91-154.
- LIVERSIDGE H and TOWNSEND G 2005 Tooth formation in Australian Aborigines. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 405-410.
- MAYHALL J and TOWNSEND G 2005 The changing crown morphology of maxillary first molars and its effect on the efficiency of mastication. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 97-104.
- TOWNSEND G, HUGHES T and RICHARDS L 2005 The dentitions of monozygotic twin pairs: focusing on the differences rather than the similarities. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 337-352.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2005 The masticatory muscles of the Japanese Monkey Macaca fuscata. Proceedings of the XVIIIth International Primatological Society Congress, Adelaide, Australia, pp 1-10.
- MULLINS G, WETHERELL J, TOWNSEND G, WINNING T and GREENWOOD F 2001 Problem-Based Learning in Dentistry: The Adelaide Experience Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 171 pp. 2nd printing, David Lovell Publishing, Ringwood, 2003
- RICHARDS LC and TOWNSEND GC (eds) 2001 Proceedings of the T Draper Campbell Symposium Craniofacial Biology Research Group, Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide University, Australia.
- RICHARDS LC, TOWNSEND GC and KAIDONIS J 2003 Assessing Tooth Wear. Dental School, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 24pp.
- TOWNSEND G 2004 Learning Anatomy Applied to Dentistry: an Enjoyable Journey Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 236pp.
- GARG A and TOWNSEND G 2001 Anatomical variation of the sphenomandibular ligament. Aust Endo J 27:22-24.
- BELL E, TOWNSEND G, WILSON D, KIESER J and HUGHES T 2001 Effect of Down syndrome on the dimensions of dental crowns and tissues. Am J Hum Biol 13:690-698.
- DEMPSEY P and TOWNSEND GC 2001 Genetic and environmental contributions to variation in human tooth size. Heredity 86:685-693.
- WETHERELL J, RICHARDS L, SAMBROOK P and TOWNSEND G 2001 Management of acute dental pain: a practical approach for primary health care providers. Aust Prescriber 24(6):144-148.
- HUGHES T, THOMAS C and TOWNSEND G 2001 A study of occlusal variation in the primary dentition of Australian twins and singletons. Archs oral Biol 46:857-864.
- BENNETT S and TOWNSEND G 2001 Distribution of the mylohyoid nerve: anatomical variability and clinical implications. Aust Endo J 27(3):109-111.
- NAKAHARA S, KAMEDA T, TAKAHASHI M, KAMEDA A and TOWNSEND GC 2001 Re-examining occlusal changes in the development of the Australian Aboriginal dentition – what have we learned as orthodontists? Orthodontic Waves 60:347-353.
- McKENNA C, JAMES H, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2002 Tooth development standards for South Australia. Aust Dent J 47:223-227.
- BELL E, KAIDONIS J and TOWNSEND G 2002 Tooth wear in children with Down syndrome. Aust Dent J 47:30-35.
- RANJITKAR S, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2002 A radiographic assessment of the prevalence of pulp stones in Australians. Aust Dent J 47:36-40.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, NAKAJIMA K, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2002 Comparative anatomy of the buccinator muscle in cat (Felis domestica). Anat Rec 267:78-86.
- HUGHES T, RICHARDS LC and TOWNSEND G 2002 Form, symmetry and asymmetry of the dental arch: orthogonal analysis revisited. Dent Anthrop 16:3-8.
- REED M, CLAFFEY N, ALLEN B, BEELEY J, BEEMSTERBOER P, CARRASSI A, FILIPPI E, LICARI F, MUNCK C, NAGY G, RASS MA, SANZ M, SEKIGUCHI E and TOWNSEND G 2002 Toward global convergence of education, training, quality, outcome and assessment. Europ J Dent Educ 6 (Suppl 3):78-83.
- SYMONS A, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND GC 2002 Dental characteristics of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Dent Child Sept-Dec:277-283.
- KAIDONIS J, GRATIAEN J, BHATIA N, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2003 Tooth wear prevention: a quantitative and qualitative in vitro study. Aust Dent J 48:15-19.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS LC, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S and SCHWERDT W 2003 The value of twins in dental research Aust Dent J 48:82-88.
- DIAMANTI J and TOWNSEND G 2003 New standards for permanent tooth emergence in Australian children Aust Dent J 48:39-42.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L and HUGHES T 2003 Molar intercuspal dimensions: genetic input to phenotypic variation. J Dent Res 82:350-355.
- TOWNSEND GC 2003 Comment on the paper Can biomedical science be made relevant in dental education? Eur J Dent Educ 7:56-59.
- KIESER J, TOWNSEND G and QUICK A 2003 The Down syndrome patient in dental practice, part 1: Pathogenesis and general and dental features. New Zealand Dent J 99:5-9.
- KAIFU Y, KASAI K, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS L 2003 Tooth wear and the design of the human dentition: a perspective from evolutionary medicine. Yearbook Phys Anthropol 46:47-61.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Cervical vertebral maturation as a predictor of the adolescent growth spurt. Aust Orthod J 19:25-32.
- TOWNSEND GC AND WINNING T 2003 Adult dental problems–part 1. Australian Doctor, How to Treat, 18th July:29-36.
- TOWNSEND GC AND WINNING T 2003 Dental problems in children and adolescents–part 2. Australian Doctor, How to Treat, 25h July:29-36.
- RICHARDS LC, KAIDONIS J and TOWNSEND SC 2003 A model for the prediction of tooth wear in individuals. Aust Dent J 48:259-262.
- CORRUCCINI RS and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Decline in enamel hypoplasia in relation to fluoridation in Australians. Am J Hum Biol 15:795-799.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Hand-wrist and cervical vertebral maturation indicators – how can these events be used to time Class 11 treatments? Aust Orthodont J 19:33-45.
- WINNING T, SKINNER V, TOWNSEND G, DRUMMOND B and KIESER J 2004 Developing problem-based learning packages internationally: an evaluation of outcomes. Internat Educ Teach Innov 41:125-144.
- GAGLIARDI A, WINNING T, KAIDONIS J, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND G 2004 Association of frontal sinus development with somatic and skeletal maturation in Aboriginal Australians: a longitudinal study. Homo, J Comp Hum Biol 55:39-52.
- WETHERELL J, WINNING T and TOWNSEND GC 2004 Localized asymmetry in human dental crown form – an interesting case Dent Anthropol 17:18-23.
- KONDO S and TOWNSEND GC 2004 Sexual dimorphism in crown components of mandibular deciduous and permanent molars in Australian Aborigines. Homo, J Comp Hum Biol 55:53-64.
- TOWNSEND GC and WINNING T 2004 Guest editorial: Problem-based learning: 3rd International Symposium. Eur J Dent Educ 8:49-50.
- CORRUCCINI RS, TOWNSEND GC and SCHWERDT W 2005 Correspondence between enamel hypoplasia and odontometric bilateral asymmetry in Australian twins. Am J Phys Anthropol 126:177-182.
- APPS M, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND G 2004 The effect of birthweight on tooth size variability in twins. Twin Res 7:415-420.
- EGUCHI S, TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T and KASAI K 2004 Genetic contribution to dental arch size variation in Australian twins. Arch Oral Biol 49:1015-1024.
- WINNING T, LIM E and TOWNSEND GC 2005 Student experiences of assessment in two problem-based dental curricula: Adelaide and Dublin. Assess Eval Higher Educ 30:489-505.
- LIU P, RANJITKAR S, KAIDONIS J, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS LC 2004 A system for the acquisition and analysis of three-dimensional data describing dental morphology. Dent Anthrop 17(3): 70-74.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S and SCHWERDT W 2005 Epigenetic influences may explain dental differences in monozygotic twin pairs. Aust Dent J 50:95-100.
- LITTLETON J and TOWNSEND G 2005 Linear enamel hypoplasia and historical change in central Australia. Aust Dent J 50: 101-107.
- EGUCHI S, TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T and KASAI K 2004 Genetic and environmental contributions to variation in the inclination of human mandibular molars. Orthod Waves 63: 95-100.
- CHRISTO J, BENNETT S, WILKINSON T and TOWNSEND G 2005 Discal attachments of the human temporomandibular joint. Aust Dent J 50: 152-160.
- KONDO S, TOWNSEND G and KANAZAWA E 2005 Size relationships among permanent mandibular molars in Aboriginal Australians and Papua New Guinea Highlanders. Am J Hum Biol 17:622-633.
- KONDO S, TOWNSEND G and YAMADA H 2005 Sexual dimorphism of cusp dimensions in human maxillary molars. Am J Phys Anthropol 128: 870-877.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND G 2005 A retrospective assessment of a group of Class II non-extraction treatments. World J Orthodont 6:331-342.
- KONDO S and TOWNSEND G 2006 Associations between Carabelli trait and cusp areas in human permanent maxillary first molars. Am J Phys Anthropol 129:196-203.
- NETHERWAY D, ABBOTT AH, GULAMHUSEINWALA N, McGLAUGHLIN K, ANDERSON P, TOWNSEND G and DAVID D 2006 Three-dimensional computed tomography cephalometry of plagiocephaly: asymmetry and shape analysis. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(2):201-210.
- RAJION Z, TOWNSEND G, NETHERWAY D, ANDERSON P, YUSOF A, HUGHES T, SHUIAB I, HALIM A, SAMSUDIN A and DAVID D 2006 A three-dimensional computed tomographic analysis of the cervical spine in unoperated infants with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(5):513-518.
- RACE JP, TOWNSEND GC and HUGHES TE 2006 Chorion type, birth weight discordance and tooth-size variability in Australian monozygotic twins. Twin Research and Human Genetics 9(2):285-291.
- TOWNSEND G, HUGHES T and RICHARDS LC 2006 Gaining new insights into how genetic factors influence human dental development by studying twins. Int J Anthropol 21:67-74.
- LEW K and TOWNSEND G 2006 Failure to obtain adequate anaesthesia associated with a bifid mandibular canal: a case report. Aust Dent J 51:86-90.
- DOOLAND K, TOWNSEND G and KAIDONIS J 2006 Prevalence and side preference for tooth grinding in twins. Aust Dent J 51(3):219-224.
- RANJITKAR S, LIN NH, MACDONALD R, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2006 Stature and skeletal maturation of two cohorts of Austrlain children and young adults over the past two decades. Aust Ortho J 22:47-58.
- LIN NH, RANJITKAR S, MACDONALD R, HUGHES T, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2006 New growth references for assessment of stature and skeletal maturation in Australians. Aust Ortho J 22:1-10.
- RAJION Z, TOWNSEND G, NETHERWAY D, ANDERSON P, HUGHES T, SHUIAB I, HALIM A, SAMSUDIN A, McLEAN N and DAVID D 2006 The hyoid bone in Malay infants with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(5):532-538.
- KHAMIS MF, TAYLOR JA, SAMSUDIN AR and TOWNSEND GC 2006 Variation in crown morphology in Malaysian populations. Dent Anthropol (In press)
- WINNING T and TOWNSEND G 2006 Problem-based learning (PBL) in dental education:what’s the evidence for and against … and it is worth the effort? Aust Dent J (In press)
- TOWNSEND GC, RICHARDS LC, MESSER L, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S, SEOW K, GOTJAMANOS T, GULLY N and BOCKMANN M 2006 Genetic and environmental influences on dentofacial structures and oral health: studies of Australian twins and their families. Twin Research and Human Genetics (In press)
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2006 Tooth size, occlusal curvatures and molar progression in macropodids. Proceedings of the Australian Mammalogy Society (submitted)
- KHAMIS MF, TAYLOR J, SAMSUDIN AR and TOWNSEND G 2006 Dental metric variation in populations from the Malaysian Peninsula. Int J Dent Anthropol (in preparation)
- TOWNSEND G 2006 Comparing identical twin pairs – a research model for busy clinicians. Dental Insights 19: 11-13.
- YAMADA H, KONDO S, HANAMURA H and TOWNSEND G 2006 Compensatory tooth size interactions in individuals with hypodontia. Archs Oral Biol (to be submitted)
- LAW V, SEOW K and TOWNSEND G 2006 Factors influencing oral colonization of mutans streptococci in young children. Aust Dent J (submitted)
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2006 Problem-based learning in a professional school: fighting against the tide to maintain quality. International Union of Schools of Oral Health, Newsletter 18:30-35.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G, HIRATA K 2006 The masticatory muscles of the Great-Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus). Anat Record (in press)
- SKINNER V, WINNING T, TOWNSEND G and MULLINS 2006 Dental students perceptions of their problem-based learning environment. HERDSA News 28(2):19-21.
- NARAYANA T, RANJITKAR S, KAIDONIS J, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS L 2006 Wear prevention in dentine: an in vitro study. J Dent (to be submitted)
- HUGHES T, BOCKMANN M, SEOW K, GOTJAMANOS T, GULLY N, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2006 Strong genetic control of emergence of human primary incisors. J Dent Res (submitted)
- Australian Dental Association, 1973-82, 88-
- International Association for Dental Research, 1973-
- IADR, Craniofacial Biology Group, 1989-
- Dental Education Research Group, 1996-
- The Assoc’n of Australian and New Zealand University Dental School Teachers, 1977-1993
- Australian Society of Periodontology, 1973-80
- Australasian Association of Schools of Dentistry, 1994-
- Human Genetics Society of Australia, 1973-80
- Pacific Science Association, 1991-1999
- International Association of Human Biologists, 1978-
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists, 1978-
- Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine Study Group, 1973-74
- Forensic Science Society, 1973-76, 1980-87
- Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society, 1988-1995
- Fellow of the Human Biology Council, 1981-
- New York Academy of Sciences, 1982-94
- Dental Anthropological Association, 1990-
|Expertise||Development of teeth; teeth development; teeth twins; teeth; dentistry; twins (development of teeth)|
|Notes||Alt phone: (08) 8303 5256|
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/grant.townsend