Professor Gregory (Greg) McCarthy
Greg McCarthy teaches in the fields of popular culture and Australian public policy. His research deals with politics and film, exploring the ways in which politics in its multifarious forms is represented in cinema and what political meaning we can draw from these representations. His work on public policy included an extended analysis of policy failure as explored in his book Things fall Apart: a history of the State Bank of South Australia (2002).
- Public policy
- State Bank of South Australia Royal Commission
- The politics of childcare
- Political economy of South Australia
- Telling Tales: the State Bank of South Australia , Australian Scholarly Publishing, November, 2001.
Chapter in Books
- "Class and the Left" in P. Nursey-Bray and C. Bacchi, Left Directions, University of Western Australia Press, November, 2001.
- "The Savings Bank of South Australia" and "Banking in South Australia ", entries in The Wakefield Companion to South Australia edited by Wilfred Press and Kerrie Round, Wakefield Press, November 2001
- "Applying the Gag", P. Corcoran and V. Spencer (eds.) Disclosures , London, Ashgate, June 1999.
- "The State Bank of South Australia: Lessons for the Future," in Roy Green & Rodin Genoff eds., Making the Future Work: Crisis and Change in the South Australian Economy (Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1993).
Journal Articles & Published Papers
- "Caught between Empires: ambivalence in Australian films", Critical Arts , Autumn, 2001
- "The HIH Royal Commission: the tangled Web of Truth, Australian Journal of Public Administration , Vol.60, 3, September 2001.
- "Political Correctness: Pauline Hanson and the Construction of Australian Identity" (with Dr Pal Ahluwalia), Australian Journal of Public Administration , September 1998.
- "The 1997 South Australian Election: History Never Repeats", Legislative Studies , Autumn, 1999.
- "A Postmodern Republic for a (West Meets East) Post-colonial State," Artlink , Vol .13, No. 3 (1998), pp. 10-13.
- "From Regulation to Deregulation: The Politics of the Float of the Dollar" (with Dave Taylor), Australian Journal of Politics and History , 1994.
- "The Recession and the Arts," Artlink , Vol. 12, No. 3 (Spring 1992).
- "Native and Settler in Australian Political Imagination" (with Dr Pal Ahluwalia) Australasian Political Science Association Annual Conference, University of Sydney, September 1999.
- "Political Ambivalence in Australian Films", Australasian Political Science Association Annual Conference, Australian National University, September 2000.
- "The Bannon Decade: The Politics of Restraints in South Australia," Journal of the Historical Society of South Australia , No. 21, 1993, pp. 155-159.
Entry last updated: Friday, 21 Sep 2012
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this