Mr Howard Parkinson
|Org Unit||Elder Conservatorium of Music|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5129|
|Location||Floor/Room 8 05 , Schulz Building , North Terrace|
Howard joined the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra as Principal Trombone in 1980. In 1985 he successfully auditioned for Principal Bass Trombone, a position he still holds.
Howard’s teenage years were spent in Sydney where he studied both trombone and pipe organ at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music High School, and the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Howard studied trombone with Geoffrey Bailey, Baden McCarron and Ron Prussing.
Howard has always had a keen interest in teaching brass, and has taught consistently over the past 35 years. Many of Howard’s students are playing in professional orchestras and service bands both in Australia and overseas.
Howard has been Head of Brass studies at the Elder Conservatorium of Music since 2002.
One of the highlights of his career was representing Australia in the World Philharmonic Orchestra in Rio de Janiro in 1986.
Other music activities have included :-
- taught trombone and euphonium at the Flinders Street School of Music Adelaide TAFE for over 20 years. During this time he gave regular solo recitals, and lectured in various brass related areas.
- conducted various professional ensembles, brass ensembles, wind ensembles, trombone choirs, brass bands and choral ensembles
- was a finalist in the 1979 ABC Concerto Competition
- broadcast for the ABC – both as a soloist and chamber player
-performed ,recorded, broadcasted, toured with the Adelaide Brass Quintet
- played with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Sydney Elizabethan Trust Orchestra (now Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra), Melbourne Elizabethan Trust Orchestra (now State Orchestra of Victoria), Sydney Philharmonia, Australian Chamber Orchestra, Adelaide Chamber Orchestra, The Renaissance Players and the Seymour Ensemble.
- has tutored for National Music Camp and Pan Pacific Music Camps.
- is a regular tutor for the Adelaide Youth Orchestra and Adelaide Sinfonia
- conducted the Alexander Orchestra at the South Australian Music Camp (4 yrs)
- conducted Adelaide Sinfonia 2008/9
As an active member of the Salvation Army, Howard conducts the Ingle Farm Salvation Army Band and is involved with the young players brass program.
Howard regularly does workshops for local brass bands and other community groups – both as a conductor and a brass “mentor”.
Both of Howard’s children are professional musicians. Heath is a french hornist with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, and Skye is a vocalist freelancing in Sydney.
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/howard.parkinson