Dr Jon Jureidini
Jon Jureidini is a child psychiatrist at the Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide where he works with ill and disabled children and their families. He has also trained in philosophy (PhD, Flinders University), critical appraisal (University of British Columbia) and psychotherapy (Tavistock Clinic). He heads the University of Adelaide's:
- Critical and Ethical Mental Health (CEMH) research group within the Robinson Research Institute, carrying out critical appraisal, meta-research, teaching, and advocacy in order to promote safer, more effective and more ethical research and practice in mental health
- Paediatric Mental Health Training Unit (PMHTU, adelaide.edu.au/pmhtu), providing training and support to GPs, allied health professionals, teachers and counsellors in non-pathologising approaches to primary care mental health.
Jureidini learnt most of what he knows about psychiatry growing up in a pub, from being a father, from reading novels, and from Michael Leunig's cartoons.
PhD, MB BS, FRANZCP
Awards & Achievements
- 1986 South Australian Health Commission Scholarship for Specialist Study Overseas
- 1999 Robert J Stoller Foundation Prize for a post-doctoral author
- 2006 Margaret Tobin Award for ‘excellence in the provision of services to people with a mental illness who are most in need or most at risk'
- ARC Linkage Grant: 2015-2017
Della P, Walsh J, Jureidini J, Driving health care efficiencies and patient care outcomes by improving communication in acute to primary transitions of care, $480,000
- Channel 7 Children's Research Foundation Grant: 2013-2014
Roberts R, Strohm K, Jureidini J, Giallo R, Robb J. Evaluation of a group program for siblings. $70,000
- ARC Linkage grant (LP110100035): 2011-2014
Slade D, Manias E, Battersby M, Scheeres H, Della P, Jureidini J et al. Effective clinical handover communication: improving patient safety, experiences and outcomes. $718,000
- Canadian Women's Health Network: 2008-2009
Mintzes B, Jureidini J.SSRI use in pregnancy. $CA12,000
- ARC Large Grant (A726): 2000-2003
Jureidini J. Narrative and Psychopathology: the role played by narrative in understanding patterns of development and breakdown in psycho-social functioning. $80,000
- Jureidini J & Dunbar M. (Book chapter, in press) Medical malpractice: Child and adolescent psychiatry. In Encyclopaedia of forensic and legal medicine. Second edition. Eds J Payne-James, R Byard. Oxford: Elsevier
- Jureidini J. Let children cry. Med J Aust. 2014 Nov 17;201(10):612-3.
- Jureidini JN, Nardo JM. Inadequacy of remote desktop interface for independent reanalysis of data from drug trials. BMJ. (letter) 2014 Jul 9;349:g4353. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g4353
- Tufanaru C, Jureidini J Antidepressant Medication and Spontaneous Abortion "No Significant Association"? Clinically Significant Association! JAMA Psychiatry. (letter) 2013,70(12):1373-1374.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A, Jureidini E. Combination Pharmacotherapy for Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents: Prevalence, Efficacy, Risks and Research Needs. Pediatric Drugs 2013,15:377-391
- Lee HE, Jureidini J. Emerging psychosis in adolescents--a practical guide. Aust Fam Physician. 2013, Sep;42(9):624-7
- Jureidini J. Psychodynamic minimalism Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2013, 47: 678
- Raven M, Jureidini J, Stuart G. Transparency and accountability in early psychosis intervention research. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2013, 47: 680-68
- Spielmans G, Jureidini J, Healy D; Purssey R. (letter) Inappropriate Data and Measures Lead to Questionable Conclusions JAMA Psychiatry. 2013,70(1):121
- McHenry L, Jureidini J. On the Proposed Changes to the Credibility Gap in Industry-Supported Biomedical Research: A Critical Evaluation Ethical Human Psychiatry and Psychology 2012,14: 156-161
- Jureidini J, Raven M. Healthy Kids Check: Lack of transparency and misplaced faith in the benefits of screening. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2012,46(10) 924-927
- Jureidini J. Explanations and unexplanations: restoring meaning to psychiatry. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2012,46: 188-191.
- Raven M, Stuart GW, Jureidini J. (commentary) 'Prodromal' diagnosis of psychosis: Ethical problems in research and clinical practice. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2012,46(1):64-5.
- Jureidini J. Key opinion leaders in psychiatry: A conflicted pathway to career advancement. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2012,46: 495-7
- Mares S, Jureidini J. (Book chapter) Child and adolescent refugees and asylum seekers in Australia: The ethics of exposing children to suffering to achieve social outcomes. In Mental Health and Human Rights Eds M Dudley, D Silove, F Gale. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Jureidini J. (letter) Targeted primary care-based mental health services for young Australians MJA 2012,196 (10) 627
- Allen DM, Parry PI, Purssey R, Spielmans GI, Jureidini J, Rosenlicht NZ, Healy D, Feinberg I. (letter) BRIDGE Study Warrants Critique. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012;69(6):643-645. doi:10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2012.118
- Rogers W, Raven M, Zutlevics T, Jureidini J. (letter) Guidance offers little in the way of ethics or transparency BMJ 2012;344:e2910
- Jureidini J, Raven M. (letter) Novel melatonin-based treatments for major depression. Lancet. 2012,379(9812):216-7
- Urato A, Mintzes B, Mangin D, Jureidini J. (letter) SSRIs and Pregnancy: Failing to Warn Patients of Risks. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2011,118(3):708)
- Jureidini J, Burnside J. Children in Immigration Detention: a case of Reckless Mistreatment. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health 2011,35:304-306.
- Tsai A, Rosenlicht N, Jureidini J, Parry P, Spielmans G, Healy D. Aripiprazole in the maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder: A critical review of the evidence and its dissemination into the scientific literature. PLoS Medicine. PLoS Med. 2011 May;8(5):e1000434. Epub 2011 May 3.
- Jureidini J, McHenry L. Conflicted medical journals and the failure of trust. Accountability in Research 2011,18:45 - 54
- Jureidini J, Parry P, Houen C, Battersby M. (letter) Bipolar disorder supplement needed broader perspective Med J Aust 2011,194 (6): 326
- Jureidini J, Raven M. In debate: The increased use of antidepressants has contributed to the worldwide reduction in suicide rates. British Journal of Psychiatry 2010,196: 429-433
- McHenry L, Jureidini J. Privatization of knowledge and the creation of biomedical conflicts of interest. Journal of Ethics in Mental Health 2009,4(Sept. Suppl.):1-6.
- Jureidini J, McHenry L. Key opinion leaders and pediatric antidepressant overprescribing. Psychotherapy & Psychosomatics 2009,78(4):197-201.
- Jureidini J. How do we safely treat depression in children, adolescents and young adults? Drug Safety 2009,32(4):275-282.
- Jureidini J. (Book chapter) Mind magic. In Rethinking ADHD. From brain to culture. (pp349-359) Eds S Timimi, J Leo. London: Palgrave Macmillan 2009.
- Jureidini J, Clothier R. (Letter) Elsevier should divest itself of either its medical publishing or pharmaceutical services division. Lancet 2009,374(9687):375.
- McHenry L, Jureidini J. Industry-sponsored ghostwriting in clinical trial reporting: A case study. Accountability in Research 2008,15:152-167.
- Jureidini J, Mintzes B, Raven M. Does direct-to-consumer advertising of antidepressants lead to a net social benefit? Pharmacoeconomics 2008,26(7):557-566.
- Jureidini J, McHenry L, Mansfield P. Clinical trials and drug promotion: Selective reporting of study 329. International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine 2008,20:73-81.
- Mintzes B, Jureidini J. (Letter) Should paroxetine be used to treat depression during pregnancy? American Journal of Psychiatry 2008,165: 1487.
- Timimi S, Jureidini J, Leo J. (Letter) NICE recommendations are not evidence based and could expose many to unnecessary harm. BMJ 2008,337:a2284.
- Jureidini J, Donald T. (Letter) The rise and fall of Roy Meadow. Australasian Psychiatry 2008,16(5):370-2.
- Jureidini J. (Letter) MJA policy on sponsored supplements. MJA 2008,188:260.
- Jureidini J, Mintzes B. (Letter) Does venlafaxine maintenance therapy prevent depression recurrences or drug discontinuation reactions? Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2008,69:865-866.
- Parry P, Allison S, Jureidini J, McEvoy P, Ward S, Callary J, Powrie R, Hein S, Swift G, Amos J, Ashforth P, Philp M, Wells B, Dignam P, Tregenza S. (Letter) Pediatric bipolar disorder is a controversial diagnosis. Australian & NZ Journal of Psychiatry 2008,42:91.
- Jureidini J. (Book chapter) It is not courage. In Acting from the heart. Australian advocates for asylum seekers tell their stories. (pp150-151) Eds S Mares, L Newman. Sydney: Finch, 2007.
- Jureidini J. (Letter) The black box warning: Decreased prescriptions and increased youth suicide? American Journal of Psychiatry 2007,164:1907.
- Jureidini J. (Letter) Depression in adolescents: Study was not a trial of antidepressants. BMJ 2007, 335:221.
- Jureidini J. Disease-mongering: a response. Monash Bioethics Review 2006,25(3):24-25.
- Jureidini J. Response. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 2006,3:195-196.
- Mansfield PR, Lexchin J, Wen LS, Grandori L, McCoy CP, Hoffman J, Ramos J, Jureidini J. Educating health professionals about drug and device promotion: Advocates' recommendations. PLoS Med 2006,3(11): e451.
- Darbyshire P, Muir-Cochrane E, Fereday J, Jureidini J, Drummond A. Engagement with health and social care services: Perceptions of homeless young people with mental health problems. Health & Social Care in the Community 2006, 14:553-562.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A. Overuse of antidepressant drugs for the treatment of depression. CNS Drugs 2006,20:623-632.
- Chur-Hansen A, Koopowitz L, Jureidini J, Abhary S, McLean S. An interdisciplinary course for trainee psychiatrists: feedback and implications. Australasian Psychiatry 2006,14:186-91.
- Muir-Cochrane E, Fereday J, Jureidini J, Drummond A, Darbyshire P. Self-management of medication for mental health problems by homeless young people. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 2006,25:163-170.
- Jureidini J, Mansfield P. (Book chapter) The scope of the problem of the relationship between drug companies and doctors. In Critical voices in child and adolescent mental health. (pp 29-39) Eds S Timimi, B Maitra. London: Free Association 2006.
- Tonkin A, Jureidini J. (invited editorial) Wishful thinking: Antidepressant drugs in childhood depression. British Journal of Psychiatry 2005,187:304-305.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A. (invited editorial) Suicide and antidepressants in children. Australian Prescriber 2005,28:110-111.
- Jureidini J. (Book chapter) Medical malpractice: Child and adolescent psychiatry. In Encyclopaedia of forensic and legal medicine. (pp 251-254) Eds J Payne-James, R Byard, T Cory, C Henderson. Oxford: Elsevier, 2005.
- Mansfield P, Raven M, Jureidini J. (Letter) Depressed youth, suicidality and antidepressants. MJA 2005,183(5):275.
- Raven M, Rogers W, Jureidini J. (Letter) Partnerships between academic psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry. Australasian Psychiatry 2005,13:83-84.
- Jureidini J. Does dissociation offer a useful explanation for psychopathology? Psychopathology 2004,37:259-265.
- Mares S, Jureidini J. Psychiatric assessment of children and families in immigration detention. Clinical, administrative and ethical issues. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health 2004,28:520-6.
- Currie G, Jureidini J. Narrative and coherence. Mind and Language 2004,19:409-427.
- Jureidini J. WHR Rivers: Metapsychology and Dreams. Australian Journal of Psychotherapy 2004,223:42-61.
- Rogers W, Mansfield P, Braunack-Mayer A, Jureidini J. The Ethics of Pharmaceutical Industry Relationships with Medical Students. MJA 2004,180:411-414.
- Jureidini J, Doecke C, Mansfield P, Haby M, Menkes D, Tonkin A. Efficacy and safety of antidepressants for children and adolescents. BMJ 2004,328:879-83.
- Timimi S, Moncrieff J, Jureidini J, et al. A critique of the international consensus statement on ADHD. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review 2004,59-63.
- Donald T, Jureidini J. Parenting Capacity. Child Abuse Review 2004,13:5-17.
- Dudley M, Jureidini J, Mares S, Newman L, Phillips N, Powrie R, Rosen A, Silove D, Steel Z, Tennant C. (Letter) In protest. Australian & NZ Journal of Psychiatry 2004,38:978-979.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A, Mansfield P. (Letter) TADS study raises concerns. BMJ 2004,329:1343.
- Currie G, Jureidini J. Art and delusion. Monist 2003,86:556-578.
- Jureidini J. Is there a role for placebo analgesia? NZMJ 2003,116 (1179). URL: http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/116-1179/541/.
- Eminson M, Jureidini J. The development of research and prevention strategies in MSBP abuse. Child Abuse and Neglect 2003,27(4):413-420.
- Calvert P, Jureidini J. Restrained rehabilitation: an approach to children and adolescents with unexplained signs and symptoms. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003,88:399-402.
- Goldwater P, Braunack-Mayer A, Power R, Henning P, Gold M, Donald T, Jureidini J, Finlay C. Childhood tetanus in Australia: ethical issues for a should-be-forgotten preventable disease. MJA 2003,178:175-177.
- Jureidini J, Shafer A, Donald T. ‘Munchausen by proxy syndrome': not only pathological parenting but also problematic doctoring? MJA 2003,178:130-132.
- Spurrier N, Staugas R, Sawyer M, Wakefield M, Ruffin R, Jureidini J, Arney F, Baghurst P. Health-service use by children with asthma over a 6-month period. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2003,39:15-21.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A. (Letter) Paroxetine in major depression. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2003,42:514.
- Jureidini J, Mansfield P, Menkes D. (Letter) The Statin Wars. Lancet 2003,362:1855.
- Jureidini J, Mansfield P. (Letter) The journal and drug advertising Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2003,37:495.
- Jureidini J, Tonkin A. (Letter) Clinical practice guidelines for depression in young people MJA 2003,178:300.
- O'Brien G, Jureidini J. Dispensing with the dynamic unconscious. Philosophy, Psychology and Psychiatry 2002,9:141-154.
- O'Brien G, Jureidini J. The last rites of the dynamic unconscious. Philosophy, Psychology and Psychiatry 2002,9:161-166.
- Jureidini J, Taylor D. Hysteria: Pretending to be sick and its consequences. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2002,11:123-128.
- Jureidini J. (Letter) Does the International Consensus Statement on ADHD leave room for healthy scepticism? European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2002,11:240.
- Currie G, Jureidini J. Delusion, rationality, empathy. A Commentary on Davies et al. Philosophy, Psychology and Psychiatry 2001,8:159-162.
- Jureidini J. Perversion: Erotic form of hatred or exciting avoidance of reality? Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis 2001,29:195-211.
- Jureidini J, Donald T. (Book chapter) Child abuse specific to the medical system. In Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. Current Issues in Assessment, Treatment and Research (pp39-47) Eds G Adshead, D Brooke. London: Imperial Press, 2001.
- Jureidini J. Pathological play. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2000,5:606-612
- Jureidini J. (Letter) Epidemic of schizophrenia in children or inappropriate prescribing? MJA 2000,173:555-556.
- Sharma S, Llewellyn K, Jureidini J. Alcohol use by parents of children presented to a paediatric emergency department. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 1999,35:196-198.
- Green J, Sullivan A, Jureidini J. Shortcomings in psychosocial history taking in a paediatric emergency department. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 1998,34:188-191.
- Jureidini J. Some reasons for concern about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 1996,32:119-121.
- Donald T, Jureidini J. Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome: Child Abuse in the Medical System. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Health 1996,150:753-758.
- Donald T, Jureidini J. (Letter) Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1996,74(2).
- Moylan D, Jureidini J. (Book chapter) Pain Tolerable and Intolerable. In: The Imaginative Body: Psychodynamic Therapy in Health Care. Eds A Erskine, D Judd. Whurr, London, 1994.
- Jureidini J. Obstetric factitious disorder and Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease 1993,181:135-137.
- Jureidini J. Rehabilitation of young adolescents severely disabled after psychosis: A clinical study. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal 1991,14:104-109
- Jureidini J. Adolescent Development. (Book chapter) In Mental Health & Illness: A Textbook for students of Health Sciences Eds R Kosky, H Eshkevari, V Carr. London: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1991.
- Jureidini J. (Letter) Qualifications and academic institutions. Australian & NZ Journal of Psychiatry 1991,25:451-452.
- Jureidini J. Projective Identification in general psychiatry. British Journal of Psychiatry 1990,157:656-660.
- Jureidini J. Psychotherapeutic implications of severe physical disability. American Journal of Psychotherapy 1988,42:297-307.
Selected non-refereed work
- Jureidini J. To be a Decent Citizen, Ockham's razor, ABC Radio National, 20 April 2014. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/to-be-a-decent-citizen/5388978
- Jureidini J. Gifts, including a nice Grange, do induce bias. Medical Observer 27th May, 2014.
- Jureidini J. Insight into how pharma manipulates research evidence: a case study. The Conversation, 5 April, 2012.
- Jureidini J. Against Compromise Ampersand Magazine. Issue 3: 66-69, 2011.
- Raven M, Jureidini J. Misleading claims in the mental health reform debate. On Line Opinion http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=10793&page=0 August 9, 2010.
- Mintzes B, Jureidini J. Exposure to SSRI antidepressants in pregnancy. How should we measure net benefit? Women & Environments Spring 2009:29-32.
- Jureidini J. (Foreword) Dying for a Cure by R Beddoe. Random House, Sydney, 2007.
Jureidini is spokesman for Healthy Skepticism, which aims to counter misleading drug promotion, chair of Australian-Palestinian Partnerships for Education and Health, and on the board of Siblings Australia, an organisation that advocates for individuals with ill and disabled siblings.
Expertise for Media Contact
|Categories||Psychology & Psychiatry|
|Expertise||Children's play; munchausen by proxy syndrome; children with physical illness and disability; ADHD; attention deficit; childhood depression; child psychiatry; refugee issues; refugees; pharmaceutical industry; depression|
|Mobile||0418 897 530|
|After hours||(08) 8269 5996|
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 8 Feb 2017
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this