Ms Judith Thomas
|Org Unit||School of Education|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 6064|
Nexus 10 Tower - Marjoribanks Wing
M.Ed[TESOL], Deakin University, Victoria
M.Litt, UNE, NSW
Graduate Diploma of Teaching [Secondary], Townsville College of Advanced Education, Queensland
B.A, University of Melbourne, Victoria
Language Methodology & Curriculum; French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Modern Greek & Russian,Spanish Methodologies & Curriculum; ESL Methodology & Curriculum.
Guest Lectures for Graduate Diploma of Education: "Asia:Government policies and trends and influences on curriculum" April 2013 & 2014; "Choosing resources and content" March 2013 & 2014;"Curriculum", May 2012 - 2014 for Bachelor of Teaching; Refugees in Australia",March 2012.
Presented at the School of Education HDR Seminar on '' Experiences With Student Interviews", November 26, 2012.
Co-presented 'Dinka' at the Adelaide Language Festival May 2014
Co-presented 'Aboriginal Languages Workshop' July 2014.
Presented at the Chinese Language Teachers' Association on 'Professional Partnerships' with GDE Chinese students-August 2014.
Presented at The School of Education HDR Seminar on "From Side-Path to Key Theme in PhD research: the case of Dinka literacy" April 4 2016.
- February 2017 PhD thesis submission of " From Southern Sudan to Adelaide: Learning Journeys of Refugee Secondary Students".
- May 2017 Adapting and creating a new Model : "Investigating Refugee Secondary Student Perspectives on Models of Engaging Learning & Teaching (MELT)", www.melt.edu.au.
- May-June 2017 Writing a short paper for the IMELT International conferenc ein Adelaide, December 2017.
- May-June 2017 Writing an article; "Language and Identity for South Sudanese secondary students in Adelaide".
- Completed an article on "From Side-Path to Key Theme in PhD research: the case of Dinka literacy" for submission. March 2016.
- Completed work on a Professions Grant Project: 'Online Teaching Tool for Classroom Dialogue' leading to a publication: 2014
- Completed work on a Professions Grant Project on 'Tracking Students' Use of Data' on MyUni: Semester 2,2014.
- Co-presented on' RSDF and Autonomy' REACHE meeting July 2014.
- Co-presented at HERGA Conference, University of Adelaide September 25, 2014 'Principles underlying the development of an online tool to support classroom skills in beginning secondary school teachers'.
- Submitted article on the above topic to the HERGA Conference 2014.
- Attendance at AEF Conference in Melbourne August 12-14 2013 provided a further opportunity for associated research and networking.
- Other Research interests include investigating English literacy needs of refugee young people in South Australian schools.
- Asian Literacy and the Australian Curriculum is another key interest for research for a proposed Professions Research Project with Dr Nina Maadad.
- Inclusion of Arabic & Vietnamese Methodology & Curriculum to Graduate Diploma of Education; Education and Trade with China; International Students & Literacy Learning; Learning Identities; Cultural Theories; Literacies; ESL educators; 21st Century Competencies.
- Membership of the UNISA MultiLiteracies Global Englishes (MGE) Group: Interest in Trans National Research
- Volunteering for SA & NT Inc: English literacy work and refugee secondary student consultation for the forthcoming arrival of Syrian Refugees to South Australia.
Presentation of a joint poster with Dr Nina Maadad "What are the Challenges and Rewards of Informal Learning of the Arabic Language?", LCNAU 2013 Conference, ANU, Canberra, July 3-5 2013.
DEC 2013 "Online Teaching Tool for Writing School Reports"
JULY 2014 Publications under review on "Informal Learning of the Arabic Language"; " Shifting Spectrum of Autonomy using the RSDF" and 'Interculturalism'.
AUG 2014 Writing a PhD Publication on" The Family in Sudan"
APRIL 2016 Completed an article on Dinka Language literacy for South Sudanese secondary refugee students ready for publication.
MAY 2016 Co-authored with Willison, J & Sabir, F:"Shifting dimensions in students' autonomy in research and employment", Taylor & Francis Online.
SA TESOL, MLTASA, SAFTA, Alliance Francaise, Adelaide, ARA, AEF, ACARA, SACE,LCNAU; UNISA MultiLiteracies Global Englishes (MGE) Group.
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/judith.thomas