Professor Mark Bartold
I received my Bachelor of Dental Surgery from the University of Adelaide in 1979. In 1980 I received my Bachelor of Science in Dentistry with First Class Honours and in 1983 graduated Doctor of Philosophy. I qualified for Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons in the Special Stream of Periodontics in 1991. In 1996 I qualified for the degree of Doctor of Dental Science on the basis of a collection of published research papers. I am a Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry, the International College of Dentists and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. In 2004 I became a Member of the Order of Australia for my contributions to periodontal research and teaching.
I am the current supervisor of the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Periodontics) postgraduate training program.
I am principally interested in the biology of the periodontal connective tissues in health, disease and regeneration. Research activities also focus on the relationship between periodontal disease and its effect on systemic health.
Current active areas of research include:
- Tissue engineering of periodontal tissues using cell seeding into bioresorbable matrices. This includes specific studies on the role of matrix components in the regeneration of periodontal structures
- Characterization and utilization of periodontal mesenchymal stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells of periodontal origin
- The relationship between periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Development of novel drugs to modulate pathologic bone loss in periodontitis
- The use of fish oil as an adjunct to periodontal treatment
Selected Recent Publications:
- Chan RC, Marino V, Bartold PM. The effect of Emdogain® and platelet derived growth factor on the osteoinductive potential of hydroxyapatite tri-calcium phosphate. Clinical Oral Investigations 16: 1217-1227; 2012.
- Xiong J, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Epithelial cell rests of Malassez contain unique stem cell populations capable of undergoing epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Stem Cells and Development 21: 2012-2025; 2012.
- Mrozik KM, Gronthos S, Menicanin D, Marino V, Bartold PM. Effect of coating Straumann Bone Ceramic with Emdogain on mesenchymal stromal cell hard tissue formation. Clinical Oral Investigations 16: 867-878; 2012.
- Doyle CJ, Bartold PM. How does stress influence periodontitis. Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology 14: 25-32; 2012.
- Du Bois A, Kardachi B, Bartold PM. Is there a role for the use of volumetric cone beam computed tomography (CBVT) in periodontics? Australian Dental Journal 57(Suppl 1): 103-8; 2012.
- Hynes KE, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Clinical utility of stem cells for periodontal regeneration. Periodontology 2000 59: 203-227; 2012.
- Cantley M, Bartold PM, Fairlie D, Rainsford K, Haynes D. Histone deacetylase inhibitors as suppressors of bone destruction in inflammatory diseases. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 64: 763-74; 2012.
- Zahnd G, Vray D, Sérusclat A, Alibay D, Bartold M, Brown A, Durand M, Jamieson L, Kapellas K, Maple-Brown L, O'Dea K, Moulin P, Celermajer D, Skilton M. Longitudinal displacement of the carotid wall and cardiovascular risk factors: associations with aging, adiposity, blood pressure and periodontal disease independent of cross-sectional distensibility and intima-media thickness. Ultrasound Med Biol. 38: 1705-1715; 2012.
- Ge S, Mrozik KM, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Isolation and characterization of mesenchymal stem cells from healthy and inflamed gingival tissue: potential use for clinical therapy. Regenerative Medicine 7: 819-832: 2012.
- Abbott JR , Marino V, Bartold PM. Human cadaveric histomorphological and metallurgical analysis of dental implants following 12.5 years of service. Clinical Oral Implants Research Epub 26 Nov 2012.
- Choo T, Marino V, Bartold PM. Effect of PDGF-BB and beta-tricalcium phosphate (β-TCP) on bone formation around dental implants: a pilot study in sheep. Clinical Oral Implants Research 24: 158-166; 2013.
- Bates CE, Marino V, Fazzalari NL, Bartold PM. Soft tissue attachment to titanium implants coated with growth factors. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 15: 53-63; 2013.
- Gannon SC, Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Hirsch R, Bartold PM. Azithromycin suppresses human osteoclast formation and activity in vitro. Journal of Cellular Physiology 228: 1098-1107; 2013.
- Harvey G, Fitzsimmons T, Dharmapatni K, Marchant C, Haynes D, Bartold PM. Expression of peptidylarginine deiminase –2 and -4, citrullinated proteins and anti-citrullinated protein antibodies in human gingiva. Journal of Periodontal Research 48: 252-261; 2013.
- Kaur S, White S, Bartold PM. Periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review. Journal of Dental Research 92: 399-408; 2013.
- Bartold PM, Van Dyke TE. Periodontitis: a host-mediated disruption of microbial homeostasis. Unlearning learned concepts. Periodontology 2000 62: 203-17; 2013.
- Bartold PM, du Bois AH, Gannon S, Haynes DR, Hirsch RS. Antibacterial and immunomodulatory properties of azithromycin treatment implications for periodontitis. Inflammopharmacology 21: 321-338; 2013.
- Marchant C, Smith MD, Proudman S, Haynes DR, Bartold PM. Effect of Porphyromonas gingivalis on citrullination of proteins by macrophages in vitro. Journal of Periodontology 84:1272-1280; 2013.
- Han J, Menicanin D, Marino V, Ge S, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Assessment of the regenerative potential of allogeneic periodontal ligament stem cells (PDLSCs) in a rodent periodontal defect model. Journal of Periodontal Research Epub 11 Jul 2013.
- Xiong J, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Role of epithelial cell rests of Malassez in the development, maintenance and regeneration of periodontal ligament tissues. Periodontology 2000 63: 217-233, 2013.
- Wada N, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Immunomodulatory effects of stem cells. Periodontology 2000 63: 198-216, 2013.
- Bartold PM, McCulloch CA. Information generation and processing systems that regulate periodontal structure and function. Periodontology 2000 63: 7-13, 2013.
- Roberts-Thomson K, Do L, Bartold PM, Daniels J, Grosse A. Severe periodontal destruction among an urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population. Australian Dental Journal (In Press)
- Han J, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Stem cells, tissue engineering and periodontal regeneration. Australian Dental Journal (In Press)
- Kapellas K., Skilton M, Maple-Brown L, Do L, Bartold PM, O'Dea K, Brown A, Celermajer D, Jamieson, L. Periodontal disease and dental caries among Indigenous Australians living in the Northern Territory, Australia. Australian Dental Journal (In Press- Accepted 17 June 2013)
- Hynes K, Menicanin D, Han J, Marino V, Mrozik K, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Mesenchymal stem cells from iPS cells facilitate periodontal regeneration. Journal of Dental Research (In Press - Accepted 25 June 2013)
- Mrozik MM, Wada N, Marino V, Richte W, Shi S, Wheeler DL, Gronthos S, Bartold PM. Regeneration of periodontal tissues using allogeneic periodontal ligament stem cells in an ovine model. Regenerative Medicine (In Press)
- Kapellas K, Do LG, Bartold PM, Skilton MR, Maple-Brown LJ, O’Dea K, Brown A, Celermajer DS, Slade GD, Jamieson LM. Effects of full-mouth scaling on the periodontal health of Indigenous Australians: a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Periodontology (In Press)
- Chee B, Park B, Bartold PM. Periodontitis and type II diabetes – a two way relationship. International Journal of Evidence-Based Health Care (In Press)
- Editor of the Australian Dental Journal
- Associate Editor Journal of Periodontal Research
Member of the Editorial Board on the following Journals:
- Australian Dental Journal
- Clinical Implant Dentistry & Related Research
- Clinical Oral Implants Research
- Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology
- Journal of Periodontal Research
- Periodontology 2000
I am a member of the following organisations:
International Association for Dental Research, Matrix Biology Society of Australia and New Zealand, Australian Dental Association, Australian Society for Periodontology, Periodontal Research Group of IADR, Australia and New Zealand Academy of Periodontists, Federation Dentaire Internationale, Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Asian Pacific Society of Periodontology, Academy of Dentistry International, Australian Periodontology Research Foundation, New York Academy of Sciences, International Academy of Periodontology, International College of Dentists
Expertise for Media Contact
|Expertise||Periodontal disease Stem cells and tissue engineering Periodontal disease and systemic health|
|Notes||Alt phone: (08) 8303 3437|
Entry last updated: Sunday, 9 Mar 2014
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this