Professor Mark Biggs
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (Honours 1), University of NSW, 1987.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, 1996.
My current research is focused on the elucidation of the fundamentals of interfacial systems across the lengthscales, and the application of this knowledge to problems of real practical importance. The interfacial systems I currently work on are:
My PhD, which was awarded in 1996 from the University of Adelaide in Australia, was concerned with modelling of coal combustion. Although I continued work in this area until the late 1990s, I no longer undertake coal-related research.
My work has been reported in over 50 publications to date; details of some of these may be found below.
My work is supported by a number of organizations including the EPSRC and the RAEng/Leverhulme Trust amongst others. This support has allowed me to build a compute cluster and maintain a group typically of 4 PhD students and 1-2 PDRAs.
If you think you would like to undertake a PhD under my supervision or spend some time in my group as a visiting scholar, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Below is my list of publications. Where allowed by copyright, I have provided links to the electronic form of the article - just click on the publication of interest
Recent refereed journal publications in print
- M. Mijajlovic, M.J. Biggs and D.P. Djurdjevic, The performance and optimal control parameter values of an EA applied to ab initio protein fold prediction are significantly affected by the potential energy model used, Evolutionary Computation, in press.
- M.J. Biggs, Molecular simulation for nanofluids, in Nanoscience: Colloidal and Interfacial Aspects (ed. V.M. Starov), Taylor and Francis, in press (invited).
- V Zivkovic, M.J. Biggs and D.H. Glass, Particle dynamics in a vibrated submerged granular bed as revealed by Diffusing Wave Spectroscopy, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys, 42, 245404 (8pp), 2009.
- V. Zivkovic, M.J. Biggs and D.H. Glass, Particle dynamics and granular temperatures in dense fluidized beds as revealed by diffusing wave spectroscopy, Advanced Powder Technology, 20, 227-233, 2009 (invited).
- M.J. Biggs and M. Mijajlovic, Switching in polyalanine at a solid surface, Nanomedicine, 4, 262-265, 2008.
- Q. Cai, A. Buts, N. A. Seaton and M. J. Biggs, A pore network model for diffusion in nanoporous carbons: Validation by molecular dynamics simulation, Chemical Engineering Science, 63, 3319-3327, 2008.
- Q. Cai, M.J. Biggs and N.A. Seaton, Effect of pore wall model on prediction of diffusion coefficients for graphitic slit pores, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 10, 2519-2527, 2008.
- V. Zivkovic, M.J. Biggs, D.H. Glass, P. Pagliai and A. Buts, Particle dynamics in a dense vibrated fluidized bed as revealed by diffusing wave spectroscopy, Powder Technology, 182, 192-201, 2008.
- M.J. Biggs, D. Glass, L. Xie, V. Zivkovic, A. Buts and M.A.C. Kounders, Granular temperature in a gas fluidized bed, Granular Matter, 10, 63-73, 2008 (invited).
- M. Mijajlovic and M.J. Biggs, Study of conformational switching in polyalanine at solid surfaces using molecular simulation, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 111, 15839-15847, 2007 (invited).
- M. Mijajlovic and M.J. Biggs, On use of Amber Potential with Langevin Dipole Method, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 111, 7591-7602, 2007 (cover article).
- Q. Cai, A. Buts, M.J. Biggs, N.A. Seaton, Evaluation of methods for determining the pore size distribution and pore-network connectivity of porous carbons, Langmuir, 23, 8430-8440, 2007.
- L. Xie, M.J. Biggs, D. Glass, S.U. Egelhaaf and G. Petekidis, Granular temperature distribution in a gas fluidized bed of hollow microparticles prior to onset of bubbling, Europhysics Letters, 74, 268-274, 2006.
- M.J. Biggs and A. Buts, Virtual porous carbons: What they are and what they can be used for, Molecular Simulation, 32, 579-593, 2006 (invited).
- D.P. Djurdjevic and M.J. Biggs, Ab initio protein fold prediction using evolutionary algorithms: Influence of design and control parameters on performance, Journal of Computational Chemistry, 27, 1177-1195, 2006.
- M.J. Biggs, A. Buts and D. Williamson, Absolute assessment of adsorption-based porous solid characterisation methods: Comparison methods, Langmuir, 20, 7123-7138, 2004.
- M.J. Biggs, A. Buts and D. Williamson, Molecular simulation evidence for solid-like adsorbate in complex microporous carbon structures, Langmuir, 20, 5786-5800, 2004 (cover article).
- X. Hu, J.J. Zhang, S. Mukhnahallipatna, J. Hamann, M.J. Biggs and P.K. Agarwal, Transformations and destruction of nitrogen oxides - NO, NO2 and N2O - in pulsed corona discharge reactor, Fuel, 82, 1675-1684, 2003.
- T.J. Bandosz, M.J Biggs, K.E. Gubbins, Y. Hattori, T. Iiyama, K. Kaneko, J. Pikunic and K. Thomson, Molecular models of porous carbons, Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, 28, 41-228, 2003 (invited).
- M.J. Biggs, S.J. Humby, A. Buts and U. Tüzün, Explicit numerical simulation of suspension flow with deposition in porous media: Influence of local flow field variation on deposition processes predicted by trajectory methods, Chemical Engineering Science, 58, 1271-1288, 2003.
Recent refereed conference publications
- Q. Cai, A. Buts, M.J. Biggs and N.A. Seaton, A method for predicting the diffusion coefficient based on the physical characterisation of porous carbons by adsorption, in Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Characterisation of Porous Solids (eds. N.A. Seaton, F. Rodríguez-Reinoso, P. Llewellyn and S. Kaskell), paper #12 (6 pages). Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing: London, 2009. ISBN: 978-1-84755-904-3..
- M.J. Biggs, M. Mijajlovic and D.P. Djurdjevic, Towards in silico rational de novo design of peptides for inorganic interfaces, in Proceedings of Chemeca 2008: The 36th Australasian Chemical Engineering Conference, Paper #129 (9 pages), 2008. The Institution of Engineers: Australia. ISBN: 0-85825-823-4 (CD-ROM).
- M.J. Biggs, V. Zivkovic, D.H. Glass, P. Pagliai and A. Buts, Particle dynamics and granular temperatures in dense fluidized beds as revealed by multiple light scattering techniques, in Proceedings of Chemeca 2008: The 36th Australasian Chemical Engineering Conference, Paper #117 (10 pages), 2008. The Institution of Engineers: Australia. ISBN: 0-85825-823-4 (CD-ROM).
- M.J. Biggs, R. Layfield, M. Mijajlovic, A. Buts and G.R. Duursma, Explicit numerical simulation of binary drop collision in a linear shear field at finite Reynolds numbers, in Proceedings of Chemeca 2008: 36th Australasian Chemical Engineering Conference, Paper #246 (10 pages), 2008. The Institution of Engineers: Australia. ISBN: 0-85825-823-4 (CD-ROM).
- M.J. Biggs, A. Buts, Q. Cai and N.A. Seaton, Absolute assessment of adsorption-based microporous solid characterisation methods, in Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis (eds. P. L. Llewellyn, F. Rodriquez-Reinoso, J. Rouqerol and N. Seaton; ISBN: 0444520228), 160, 79-86, 2006.
- Q. Cai, A. Buts, N.A. Seaton and M.J. Biggs, Characterization of the porosity of a microporous model carbon, in Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis (eds. P. L. Llewellyn, F. Rodriquez-Reinoso, J. Rouqerol and N. Seaton; ISBN: 0444520228), 160, 257-264, 2006.
Entry last updated: Monday, 18 Jan 2010
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this