|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Professor Randall Faull
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
Professional Randall Faull has been Director of the Medical Program at the University of Adelaide since 2007. From 2007 until 2012 his role was titled Dean and Director, and this changed to Deputy Dean in 2012 following a restructuring of the governance of the program. Professor Faull is responsible for the overall structure and integrity of the program, and for management of the students.
Professor Faull's other professional affiliation is as a Senior Consultant in Nephrology at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, a position he has held since 1995. His clinical work encompasses the full range of nephrological practice, with particular interest in kidney transplantation.
MBBS (Adelaide) 1981
PhD (Adelaide) 1991
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (subspecialty Nephrology) 1987
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London) 2010
Awards & Achievements
· Lions/Australian Kidney Foundation Renal Research Scholarship 1987
· Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand Young Investigators Award 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990
· NH&MRC Medical Postgraduate Research Scholarship 1988 - 1990
· Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology Travelling Fellowship 1988, 1990
· Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology Squibb Young Investigator Award 1990
· Sandoz Research Fellowship of the TSANZ 1990, 1991
· Janssen-Cilag Travelling Fellowship of the TSANZ 1990
· University of Adelaide George Murray Overseas Travel Grant 1990
· Don Jacquot Foundation Travelling Fellowship (jointly administered by Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, and Royal Australasian College of Physicians) 1991
· National Kidney Foundation/American Society of Nephrology/AMGEN, Inc. Fellowship 1992-1993
· NH&MRC Project Grant 1994 - 1996; $37,092 per year
Title: "The role of integrins a4b1 and a5b1 in leucocyte extravasation to sites of inflammation"
· Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Review Committee Project Grant 1996, and RAH Special Purposes Fund Grant-in-Aid 1996; $34,721
Title: "The role of ureteric and peritoneal epithelial cells in infections involving the urinary tract and the peritoneum"
· Australian Kidney Foundation project grant 1997; $5,000
Title: "Infections in the peritoneum and urinary tract - do the epithelial cells regulate the influx of leucocytes?"
· Baxter Healthcare extramural grant, 1997 - 1998; $20,000
Title: “Studies of peritoneal mesothelial cell function”
· Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd, 1997-1998; $105,000
Title: “Pharmacokinetics of L-carnitine following single and multiple intravenous administration of 20mg/kg carnitor in chronic haemodialysis patients with end stage renal disease”
Collaborative study with Professor Roger Nation and Dr Allan Evans, Centre for Pharmaceutical Research, University of South Australia
· Australian Kidney Foundation project grant 1998; $10,000
Title: "Mesothelial cells and peritoneal membrane longevity"
· University of Adelaide B3 grant 1998; $10,000
Title: "The role of peritoneal mesothelial cells in repair of the peritoneal membrane and in peritoneal fibrosis"
· Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Review Committee project grant 1998; $20,000
Title: "The effects of immunosuppressants cyclosporin A and FK506 on the formation and function of human osteoclasts"
· Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Review Committee project grant 1998; $10,000
Title: "A role for natural antimicrobial peptides (defensins) in the peritoneal cavity"
· Baxter Healthcare Corporation Extramural Grant, 1998 - 2001; $60,000 per year
Title: "Defensins in the peritoneal cavity of CAPD patients"
· Australian Research Council Small Grant, 1999; $10,000
Title: "The role of peripheral blood leukocytes in the formation and function of human osteoclasts - a cellular and molecular investigation" (with Dr Sean Geary and Assoc Prof David Findlay)
· Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd, 1999-2001; $40,000
Title: “Effect of chronic haemodialysis on L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine levels in patients with end stage renal disease"
Collaborative study with Professor Roger Nation and Dr Allan Evans, Centre for Pharmaceutical Research, University of South Australia
· Bristol-Myers Squibb Australia Pty Ltd, 2000-2001: $25,000
Title: “A study of the effect of pravastatin on the blood levels of soluble adhesion molecules in patients with end stage renal failure” (with Dr Kym Bannister)
· University of Adelaide, category B1 grant, 2001: $12,000
Title: “Matrix metalloproteinases and angiogenic factors in the peritoneal cavity of peritoneal dialysis patients”
· Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Review Committee, 2001: $7,500
Title: “Non-HLA genetic determinants of initiation and progression of IgA nephropathy: a comprehensive analysis of immunoregulatory gene polymorphisms”
· Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Review Committee, 2002: $15,000
Title: “Linking advanced glycosylation end products, connective tissue growth factor and peritoneal mesothelial function” (with Dr Krystyna Zarrinkalam)
· NH&MRC Project Grant 2005-2007: $253,000
Title: “Pharmacokinetics of carnitine and acylcarnitines in end stage renal disease patients undergoing chronic haemodialysis” (with Professor Allan Evans)
· NH&MRC Project Grant 2008-2010: $390,500
Title: Benefits of Intravenous L-Carnitine Supplementation in Long-Term Haemodialysis Patients (with Professor Allan Evans)
· Heart Foundation Grant-in-Aid 2009-2010: $64,400
Title: Atrial remodeling in an ovine model of chronic reno-vascular hypertension: implications for atrial arrhythmogenesis (with Dr Lorraine McKenzie and Professor Prash Sanders)
· NH&MRC Project Grant 2013-2017: $1,917,146.74
Title: Controlled trial of slowing of kidney disease progression from the inhibition of xanthine oxidase (CKD-FIX): a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial (Chief Investigator C)
· NH&MRC Project Grant 2013-2015: $1,596,597.93
Title: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess the effect of phosphate reduction with lanthanum carbonate on arterial compliance and vascular calcification in patients with chronic kidney disease stages 3-4 (Chief Investigator E)
1. Faull RJ, Aarons I, Woodroffe A, Clarkson A: "Adult Henoch-Schonlein Nephritis" Aust NZ J Med 1987: 17, 396-401
2. Faull RJ, Russ GR, Nicholls C, Mathew TH: "Early glomerular rejection in sensitised patients - treatment with plasma exchange and anti-thymocyte globulin" Trans Proc 1988: 20 (1), 14-16
3. Faull RJ, Starr RJ, Russ GR: "Vascular endothelial expression of adhesion molecules and HLA antigens in renal allografts" Trans Proc 1989: 21 (1), 316-317
4. Faull RJ, Russ GR: "Tubular expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) during renal allograft rejection" Transplantation 1989: 48, 226-230
5. Faull RJ, Russ GR: "Adhesion of lymphocytes to stimulated vascular endothelial cells is via ICAM-1-dependent and -independent pathways" Trans Proc 1990: 22, 2099-2100
6. Faull RJ, Russ GR: "Very late antigen molecules in renal allografts" Trans Proc 1991: 23, 114-116
7. O'Connell PJ, Faull RJ, Russ GR, d'Apice AJF: "VLA-2 is a collagen receptor on endothelial cells" Immunol Cell Biol 1991: 69, 103-110
8. Panegyres PK, Faull RJ, Russ GR, Appleton SL, Wangel AG, Blumbergs PC: "Endothelial cell activation in vasculitis of peripheral nerve and skeletal muscle" J Neurol Neurosurg Psych 1992: 55, 4-7
9. Faull RJ, Kovach NL, Harlan JM, Ginsberg MH: "Affinity modulation of integrin a5b1: regulation of the functional response by soluble fibronectin" J Cell Biol 1993: 121, 151-162
10. Gamble JR, Matthias LJ, Meyer G, Kaur P, Russ G, Faull R, Berndt MC, Vadas MA: "Regulation of in vitro capillary tube formation by anti-integrin antibodies" J Cell Biol 1993: 121, 931-943
11. O'Toole TE, Katagiri Y, Faull RJ, Peter K, Tamura R, Quaranta V, Loftus JC, Shattil SJ, Ginsberg MH: "Integrin cytoplasmic domains mediate inside-out signal transduction" J Cell Biol 1994: 124, 1047-1059
12. Faull RJ, Kovach NL, Harlan JM, Ginsberg MH: "Stimulation of integrin-mediated adhesion of T lymphocytes and monocytes: two mechanisms with divergent biological consequences" J Exp Med 1994: 179, 1307-1316
13. Faull RJ, Du X, Ginsberg MH: "Receptors on platelets" Meth Enzymol 1994: 245, 183-194
14. Faull RJ, Ginsberg MH: "Dynamic regulation of integrins" Stem Cells 1995: 13, 38-46
15. Faull RJ: “Adhesion molecules in health and disease” Aust NZ J Med 1995: 25, 720-730
16. Faull RJ: "Integrin adhesion molecules and renal disease" Kidney: A Current Survey of World Literature 1995: 4, 260-264
17. Bowditch RD, Faull RJ: "The integrin family" In, Biomembranes 1996: Vol 3, 159-181 (JAI Press Inc)
18. Faull RJ, Wang J, Stavros B: "Changes in the expression of adhesion molecules as peripheral blood monocytes differentiate into peritoneal macrophages" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1996: 11, 2037-2044
19. Faull RJ, Ginsberg MH: "Inside-out signaling through integrins" J Am Soc Nephrol 1996: 7, 1091-1097
20. Faull RJ, Wang J, Leavesley DI, Puzon W, Russ GR, Vestweber D, Takada Y: "A novel activating anti-b1 integrin monoclonal antibody binds to the cysteine-rich repeats in the b1 chain" J Biol Chem 1996: 271, 25099-25106
21. Faull RJ: "The role of integrin adhesion molecules in renal disease" Klinische Nephrologie 1997: 2, 1-8
22. Chew CG, Skuza G, Clarkson AR, Bannister K, Faull RJ: "The nephrologist’s dilemma: to biopsy or not to biopsy?" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997: 12, 601-603
23. Chew CG, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "A case of relapsing CAPD peritonitis with rapid peritoneal sclerosis due to haemophilus influenzae" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997: 12, 821-822
24. Jose MD, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "Diffuse kidney infiltration with T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998: 13, 1877-1878
25. Leavesley DI, Stanley JM, Faull RJ: "Epidermal growth factor modifies the expression and function of extracellular matrix adhesion receptors expressed by peritoneal mesothelial cells from patients on CAPD" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999: 14, 1208-1217
26. Clarkson AR, Elias TJ, Faull RJ, Bannister KM: "IgA nephropathy and renal transplantation" Transplantation Reviews 1999: 13, 174-182
27. Lester S, Heatley S, Bardy P, Bahnisch J, Bannister KM, Faull RJ, Clarkson AR: "The DD genotype of the angiotensin converting enzyme gene occurs in very low frequency in Australian aboriginals" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999: 14, 887-890
28. Jose MJ, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome, protein S deficiency and acute adrenal failure" Aust NZ J Med 1999: 29, 105-106
29. Jose MJ, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Whitehead FJ, Faull RJ: "Mesangiocapillary glomerulonephritis in a patient with Nocardia pneumonia" Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998: 13, 2628-2629
30. Gares SL, Giannakopoulos NV, MacNeil D, Faull RJ, Pilarski LM: "During human thymocyte differentiation, b1 integrins regulate adhesion, motility and the outcome of RHAMM/hyaluronan engagement" J Leuk Biol 1998: 64, 781-790
31. Faull RJ, Bannister KM, Russ GR, Mathew TH, Clarkson AR: "Excellent long-term survival of low risk, first renal allografts using cyclosporine/azathioprine double therapy" Transplant Proc 1999: 31, 1155-1156
32. Elias TJ, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "Progressive hepatic failure secondary to adult polycystic kidney disease" ANZ J Med 1999: 29, 282-283
33. Elias TJ, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "Clozapine induced acute interstitial nephritis" Lancet 1999: 354, 1180-1181
34. Faull RJ: “Major physiological changes in immunosuppressed patients” Periodontology 1999: 20, 71-75
35. Faull RJ: "Peritoneal defenses against infection - winning the battle but losing the war?" Seminars in Dialysis 2000: 13, 47-53
36. Walker PC, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: "Hypercalcaemia following renal transplantation: a common problem of limited clinical consequence?" Nephrology 2000: 5, 133-138
37. Elias TJ, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Russ GR, Mathew TH, Barratt LJ, Faull RJ: "Excellent long-term graft survival in low risk, primary renal allografts treated with prednisolone-avoidance immunosuppression" Clinical Transplantation 2000: 14, 157-161
38. Evans AM, Faull RJ, Fornasini G, Lemanowicz EF, Longo A, Nation RL, Pace S: “Pharmacokinetics of L-carnitine in chronic hemodialysis patients with end-stage renal failure” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2000: 68, 238-249
39. Faull RJ, Stanley JM, Fraser S, Power DA, Leavesley DI: “HB-EGF is produced in the peritoneal cavity and enhances mesothelial cell proliferation and migration” Kidney International 2001: 59, 614-624
40. Faull RJ, Lyons JG, Stanley JM, Zarrinkalam KH: “Induction of matrix metalloproteinases –2 and –9 in the peritoneal cavity during peritonitis” Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001: 16, A192
41. Zarrinkalam KH, Leavesley DI, Stanley JM, Atkins GJ, Faull RJ: “Expression of defensin antimicrobial peptides in the peritoneal cavity of patients on peritoneal dialysis” Peritoneal Dialysis International 2001: 21, 501-508
42. Clarkson AR, Woodroffe AJ, Faull RJ: “IgA nephropathy and Henoch-Schonlein purpura” In, Schreier RW Editor, Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract, 2001
43. Faull RJ: “Glomerulonephritis” Australian Doctor, 2002
44. Prasad S, Russ GR, Faull RJ: “Live donor renal transplantation in Australia 1964-1999: an evolving practice” Internal Medicine Journal 2002: 32, 569-574
45. Lu CT, Watson DI, Elias TJ, Faull RJ, Clarkson AR, Bannister KM: “Laparoscopic placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters: 7 years experience” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery 2003: 73, 109-111
46. Prasad S, Lee A, Clarnette R, Faull RJ: “Spontaneous, bilateral patellar tendon rupture in a woman with previous achilles tendon rupture and SLE” Rheumatology 2003: 42, 905-906
47. Keller LS, Peh CA, Nolan J, Bannister KM, Clarkson AR, Faull RJ: “Successful treatment of BK nephropathy in a renal allograft with cidofavir” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 2003: 18, 1013-1014
48. Zarrinkalam KH, Stanley JM, Gray J, Oliver N, Faull RJ: “Connective tissue growth factor and its regulation in the peritoneal cavity of peritoneal dialysis patients” Kidney International 2003: 64, 331-338
49. Faull RJ: “Generics – equal or not?” Australian Prescriber 2003: 26, 124-125
50. Evans AM, Faull RJ, Nation RL, Prasad S, Elias T, Reuter SE, Fornasini G: “Impact of Long-Term Hemodialysis on Plasma and Skeletal Muscle Carnitine Levels in Patients with End Stage Renal Disease”, Kidney International 2004: 66, 1527-1534
51. Bain MA, Faull R, Fornasini G, Milne R, Schumann R, Evans AM: “Quantifying trimethylamine and trimethylamine-N-oxide in human plasma: interference from endogenous quaternary ammonium compounds”, Analytical Biochemistry 2004: 334, 403-405
52. Keller LS, Faull RJ, Smith P, Swift J, Bannister KM, Otto S, Peh CA: “Crystalloid deposits in the kidney”, Nephrology 2005: 10, 81-83
53. Kleinman L, Faull R, Walker R, Prasad R, Ambuehl P, Bahner U: “GI-specific patient reported outcome instruments differentiate between renal transplant patients with or without GI complications”, Transplantation Proceedings 2005: 37, 846-849
54. Faull RJ: “Bad and good growth factors in the peritoneal cavity” Nephrology 2005: 10, 234-239
55. Mathew TM, Faull RJ, Snelling P. “The shortage of kidneys for transplantation in Australia” (editorial) Medical Journal of Australia 2005: 182, 204-205
56. Faull RJ, Hollett P, McDonald SP. “Lymphoproliferative disease following renal transplantation in Australia and New Zealand”, Transplantation 2005: 80, 193-197
57. Reuter SE, Evans AM, Faull RJ, Chase DH, Fornasini G: “Impact of haemodialysis on individual endogenous plasma acylcarnitine levels in end-stage renal disease”, Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 2005: 42, 387-393
58. Elder G, Faull R, Branley P, Hawley C: “Management of bone disease, calcium, phosphate and parathyroid hormone” Nephrology 2006: 11 (suppl. 1), S230-S261
59. Bain MA, Faull RJ, Milne RW, Evans AM: “Oral L-carnitine: metabolite formation and hemodialysis”, Current Drug Metabolism 2006: 7, 811-816
60. Bain MA, Faull RJ, Fornasini G, Milne RW, Evans AM: “Accumulation of trimethylamine and trimethylamine-N-oxide in end-stage renal disease patients undergoing haemodialysis”, Nephrology, Dialysis Transplantation 2006: 21, 1300-1304
61. Kleinman L, Kilburg A, Machnicki G, Faull R, Walker R, Prasad R, Ambuehl P, Bahner U, Margolis M: “Using GI-specific patient outcome measures in renal transplant patients: validation of the GSRS and GIQLI”, Quality of Life Research 15:1223-32, 2006
62. Faull RJ, Clarkson AR: “IgA nephropathy and Henoch Schonlein purpura”, In: Schreier RW Editor, Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract, 8th edition, 2006
63. Jeffs LS, Skilton F, Nitschke J, Bannister KM, Faull RJ: “The effect of pravastatin on markers of endothelial activation in dialysis patients”, Nephrology 2007: 12, 234-238
64. Faull RJ, Lee L: “Prescribing in renal disease”, Australian Prescriber 2007: 30, 17-20
65. Faull RJ: “Managing Bone Parameters in Dialysis Patients: Guideline Conflicts”. Seminars in Dialysis 2007: 20, 191-194
66. Kaisar MO, Mahadevan K, Faull RJ: “Primary presentation with metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma in a renal transplant recipient”. Nephrology 2007: 12, 420-421.
67. Faull R: “Peritoneal defensins – key contributors to the innate immunity of the peritoneal cavity?”, Peritoneal Dialysis International 2007: 27, 634-635.
68. Rogers NM, Peh CA, Faull RJ, Cooper J, Russ GR: “Transmission of toxoplasmosis in two renal allograft recipients receiving an organ from the same donor”. Transplant Infectious Diseases 2008: 10, 71-74.
69. Reuter SE, Faull RJ, Evans AM: “L-Carnitine Supplementation in the Dialysis Population - Are Australian Patients Missing Out?” Nephrology 2008: 13, 3-16.
70. Gallucio ST, Faull RJ, Ghali J: “Extreme hyperkalaemia and hypernatraemia in a renal transplant recipient: where two wrongs make a right?”. Nephrology 2008: 13, 448-449.
71. Reuter SE, Faull RJ, Ranieri E, Evans AM: “Endogenous plasma carnitine pool composition and response to erythropoietin treatment in chronic haemodialysis patients”. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009: 24, 990-996.
73. Kaisar O, Faull R: “Infection in the Immunocompromised Host”, in “Clinical Cases in Kidney Disease”, Editor: David Harris; McGraw Hill 2007
74. Campbell V, Peake SL, Chapman M, Faull R, Finnis M, Moran JL: “Does intravenous N-acetylcysteine prevent contrast nephropathy in at-risk critically ill patients? A pilot study”. Submitted
75. Lau DH, Mackenzie L, Kelly DJ, Worthington M, Psaltis PJ, Rajendram A, Nelson AJ, Kelly DR, Zhang Y, Worthley SG, Faull RJ, Rao M, Edwards J, Saint DA, Sanders P. “Short term hypertension is associated with the development of the substrate for atrial fibrillation: a study in an ovine hypertensive model” Heart Rhythm 2010: 7, 396-404
76. Jeffs LS, et al: "Anti-Neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody associated vasculitis with renal involvement: the evidence for treatment” International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 2010: 8, 18-27
77. Lau DH, Mackenzie L, Rajendram A, Psaltis PJ, Kelly DR, Spyropoulos P, Zhang Y, Olakkengil S, Russell CH, Brooks AG, Faull RJ, Saint DA, Kelly DJ, Rao MM, Worthley SG, Sanders P. Characterization of Cardiac Remodeling in a Large Animal ‘One-Kidney, One-Clip’ Hypertensive Model. Blood Pressure 2010: 19, 119-125.
78. Lau DH, Mackenzie L, Kelly DJ, Psaltis PJ, Brooks AG, Worthington M, Rajendram A, Kelly DR, Zhang Y, Kuklik P, Nelson AJ, Wong CX, Worthley SG, Rao M, Faull RJ, Edwards J, Saint DA, Sanders P. Hypertension and atrial fibrillation: Evidence of progressive atrial remodeling with electro-structural correlate in a conscious chronically instrumented ovine model. Heart Rhythm 2010: 7, 1282-1290
79. Yu RW, Faull RJ, Coates PTH, Coates PS. Calcium supplements lower bone resorption after renal transplant. Clin Transplant 2012: 26, 292-299
80. Devitt P, et al. Clinical Problems in Medicine and Surgery (chapter), Churchill Livingstone Elsevier 2012
81. Black et al. Post-Transplant Plasmablastic Lymphoma of the Skin, Australasian Journal of Dermatology, in press
82. Reuter-Lange SE, et al. Patient functionality in chronic hemodialysis patients: The importance of carnitine pool composition. Haemodialysis International, submitted
Collaborator on published studies
Fellström BC, Jardine AG, Schmieder RE, Holdaas H, Bannister K, Beutler J, Chae DW, Chevaile A, Cobbe SM, Grönhagen-Riska C, De Lima JJ, Lins R, Mayer G, McMahon AW, Parving HH, Remuzzi G, Samuelsson O, Sonkodi S, Sci D, Süleymanlar G, Tsakiris D, Tesar V, Todorov V, Wiecek A, Wüthrich RP, Gottlow M, Johnsson E, Zannad F; AURORA Study Group.
N Engl J Med. 2009 Apr 2;360(14):1395-407.
Baigent C, Landray MJ, Reith C, Emberson J, Wheeler DC, Tomson C, Wanner C, Krane V, Cass A, Craig J, Neal B, Jiang L, Hooi LS, Levin A, Agodoa L, Gaziano M, Kasiske B, Walker R, Massy ZA, Feldt-Rasmussen B, Krairittichai U, Ophascharoensuk V, Fellström B, Holdaas H, Tesar V, Wiecek A, Grobbee D, de Zeeuw D, Grönhagen-Riska C, Dasgupta T, Lewis D, Herrington W, Mafham M, Majoni W, Wallendszus K, Grimm R, Pedersen T, Tobert J, Armitage J, Baxter A, Bray C, Chen Y, Chen Z, Hill M, Knott C, Parish S, Simpson D, Sleight P, Young A, Collins R; SHARP Investigators.
Lancet. 2011 Jun 25;377(9784):2181-92.
Holdaas H, Rostaing L, Serón D, Cole E, Chapman J, Fellstrøm B, Strom EH, Jardine A, Midtvedt K, Machein U, Ulbricht B, Karpov A, O'Connell PJ; ASCERTAIN Investigators.
Transplantation. 2011 Aug 27;92(4):410-8.
Carrera F, Lok CE, de Francisco A, Locatelli F, Mann JF, Canaud B, Kerr PG, Macdougall IC, Besarab A, Villa G, Kazes I, Van Vlem B, Jolly S, Beyer U, Dougherty FC; PATRONUS Investigators.
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010 Dec;25(12):4009-17.
Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology
· Chair, Local Organising Committee, 2004 Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology annual scientific meeting, 2002-2004
· Member, Scientific Programme and Education Committee, Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, 2000-2006
· Council member, Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, 2004-2010
· Member, ANZSN and TSANZ Renal Transplantation Advisory Committee, 2004-2008
· Honorary Executive Officer, Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, 2006-2008
· Vice President and President Elect, Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, 2006-2008
· President, Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology, 2008-2010
Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand
· Convenor of annual scientific meeting of Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, Canberra, 1997
· Convenor, Postgraduate Education Course, Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, Canberra 2002
· Council Member, Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, 1997-2005
· Honorary Secretary, Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, 1997-2001
· President-elect, and Vice-President, Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, 2001-2003
· President, Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand, 2003-2005
Royal Australasian College of Physicians
· Royal Adelaide Hospital regional examiner for the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, and chair of local examination organising committee, 1997-2005
· Local Invigilator, RACP written examination, 2005-2006
· Member, National Examination Panel, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2005-2011
· Member, Senior Examination Panel, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2012-
· Director, Advanced Physician Training, Royal Adelaide Hospital, 2000-
· State Coordinator, Clinical Examination, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2010-
· Member, Adult Medicine Division Committee, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2008-2010
Other professional service
· Board Member, Adelaide Medical Students Foundation, 2009- (Deputy Chair 2009-) · Member, Medical and Scientific Advisory Committee, Kidney Health Australia, 2006- · Board Member, South Australian Postgraduate Medical Education Association, 2008- (Deputy Chair 2009-) · Council Member, Asia Pacific Society of Nephrology, 2008-2010
· Board Member, Adelaide Medical Students Foundation, 2009- (Deputy Chair 2009-)
· Member, Medical and Scientific Advisory Committee, Kidney Health Australia, 2006-
· Board Member, South Australian Postgraduate Medical Education Association, 2008- (Deputy Chair 2009-)
· Council Member, Asia Pacific Society of Nephrology, 2008-2010
International Education Work in Myanmar (Burma)
· 6 educational visits to Myanmar in the last 10 years. The main purpose of these visits has been to meet with and educate nephrology and urology/transplantation specialists in Myanmar. This has involved lectures, addresses at their annual scientific meeting, attendance at ward rounds and case discussions, and meeting with and mentoring trainees. The principal sites of these activities have been Yangon (Rangoon) and Mandalay. Several of the visits have been supported by the International Society of Nephrology, as part of its global outreach program.
· I have also arranged and coordinated study visits to Adelaide for 3 nephrologists over the last 6 years, as well as a recent visit by the head of nephrology services in Myanmar. The purpose of these visits has been to enable the Myanmar nephrologists to observe nephrology practice in Australia, to discuss and learn about our processes and protocols, and to familiarise themselves with the latest approaches to dialysis and kidney transplantation.
· My clinical department has an ongoing close relationship with our Myanmar colleagues, and these visits and exchanges will continue in the future.
Copyright © 2010 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 16/08/2012 M&SC
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M