Dr Sarah Thompson
2007 - Surgical Consultant, Oesophago Gastric Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
2007 - Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
2005 - Medical Practitioner & Clinical Senior Registrar, Gastrointestinal Services, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
2004 - Clinical Instructor in Surgery, Department of Surgery, Oregon Health & Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
1999 - Medical Degree
2004 - General Surgery (Canada)
2008 - General Surgery (Australia)
- NIMMO Prize - $1,000 (2007) for 'Prognostic factors in oesophageal cancer.' Full time research category, RAH Medical Staff Society, Adelaide, Australia.
- RAH/IMVS Research Committee - $21,712 (2008) for 'Prognostic factors in oesophageal cancer: the importance of malignant cells in lymph nodes.' (Investigators: SK Thompson, GG Jamieson, AR Ruszkiewicz, DI Watson, PG Devitt & PA Game).
- SAGES Research Grant - $19,450 (2008) for 'Prognostic impact of micrometastases in esophageal cancer: applying the sentinel lymph node concept.' (Investigators: SK Thompson, GG Jamieson, AR Ruszkiewicz, DI Watson, PG Devitt).
- AstraZeneca Research Grant - $11,000 (2008) for 'Prognostic impact of micrometastases in oesophageal cancer: applying the sentinel lymph node concept.' (Investigators: SK Thompson, GG Jamieson).
- Thompson SK, Ruszkiewicz AR, Jamieson GG, Sullivan TR, Devitt PG. Isolated tumor cells in esophageal cancer: implications for the surgeon and the pathologist. Ann Surg (manuscript submitted for peer review).
- Beumer JD, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Intramural oesophageal dissection. ANZ J Surg (accepted Aug 2009). Review.
- Tsunoda S, Jamieson GG, Watson DI, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Early reoperation after laparoscopic fundoplication: the importance of routine postoperative contrast studies. World J Surg 2009 (in press).
- Jamieson GG, Lamb PJ, Thompson SK. The role of lymphadenectomy in esophageal cancer. Ann Surg 2009; 250: 206-9. Review.
- Yong ELC, Han XP, Watson DI, Jamieson GG, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Outcome following surgery for squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus. ANZ J Surg 2009 (in press).
- Morris TC, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Laparoscopic duodenojejunostomy for superior mesenteric artery syndrome: how I do it. J Gastrointest Surg 2009 Apr 9 [Epub ahead of print].
- Zingg U, DiValentino D, McQuinn A, Mardzuki A, Thompson SK, Karapetis C, Watson DI. Outcome for esophageal cancer following treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. ANZ J Surg 2009 (in press).
- Hamer PW, Rees GL, Devitt PG, Jamieson GG, Thompson SK. Bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy after Ivor-Lewis oesophagectomy. ANZ J Surg 2009 (in press).
- Lamb PJ, Myers JC, Jamieson GG, Thompson SK, Devitt PG, Watson DI. Long-term outcomes of revisional surgery following laparoscopic fundoplication. Br J Surg 2009; 96: 391-7.
- Zingg U, McQuinn A, DiValentino D, Esterman AJ, Bessell JR, Thompson SK, Jamieson GG, Watson DI. Minimally invasive versus open esophagectomy for patients with esophageal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 87: 911-9.
- Jamieson GG, Thompson SK. Detection of lymph nodes metastases in oesophageal cancer. Br J Surg 2009; 96: 21-5. Review.
- Zingg U, Langton C, Addison B, Wijnhoven BP, Forberger J, Thompson SK, Esterman AJ, Watson DI. Risk prediction scores for postoperative mortality after esophagectomy: validation of different models. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 611-8.
- Lamb PJ, Myers JC, Thompson SK, Jamieson GG. Laparoscopic fundoplication in patients with a hypertensive lower esophageal sphincter. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 61-5.
- Thompson SK, Cai W, Jamieson GG Zhang AY, Myers JC, Parr ZE, Watson DI, Persson J, Holtmann G, Devitt PG. Recurrent symptoms after fundoplication with a negative pH study: recurrent reflux or functional heartburn? J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 54-60.
- Thompson SK, Ruszkiewicz AR, Jamieson GG, Esterman A, Wijnhoven BPL, Devitt PG, Watson DI. Improving the accuracy of TNM staging in esophageal cancer: a pathological review of resected specimens. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 3447-58.
- Zhang AY, Thompson SK, Game PA, Allin JJ. Images for Surgeons. Cystic teratoma of the pancreas: a rare entity. ANZ J Surg 2008; 78: 1130-1.
- Coakley BA, Deveney CW, Spight DH, Thompson SK, Le D, Jobe BA, Wolfe BM, McConnell DB, Rourke RW. Revisional bariatric surgery for failed restrictive procedures. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2008; 4: 581-6.
- Thompson SK, Jamieson GG, Myers JC, Chin KF, Watson DI, Devitt PG. Recurrent heartburn after laparoscopic fundoplication is not always recurrent reflux. J Gastrointest Surg 2007; 11: 642-7.
- Thompson SK, Hayman AV, Ludlam WH, Deveney CW, Loriaux DL, Sheppard BC. Improved quality of life after bilateral laparoscopic adrenalectomy for Cushings disease: a 10-year experience. Ann Surg 2007; 245: 790-4.
- Thompson SK, Chang EY, Jobe BA. Clinical review: Healing in gastrointestinal anastomoses, part I. Microsurgery 2006; 26: 131-6. Review.
- Enestvedt CK, Thompson SK, Chang EY, Jobe BA. Clinical review: Healing in gastrointestinal anastomoses, part II. Microsurgery 2006; 26: 137-43. Review.
- Karmali S, Thompson SK, McKinnon G, Anderson IB. A 37-year-old woman with fever and abdominal pain. CMAJ 2005; 172: 1683.
- Thompson SK, Southern DA, McKinnon JG, Dort JC, Ghali WA. Incidence of perioperative stroke after neck dissection for head and neck cancer: a regional outcome analysis. Ann Surg 2004; 239: 428-31.
- Thompson SK, Wong AL, MacGregor JH. Clinical image: enteric duplication cyst. Am J Surg 2004; 187: 316-8.
- Thompson SK, McKinnon JG, Ghali WA. Perioperative stroke in patients undergoing neck dissection for head and neck cancer: Unanswered questions. Can J Surg 2003; 46: 332-5.
- Thompson SK, Nixon J, MacGregor JH. Soft tissue case 43. Cecal volvulus: differentiating distended viscus from pneumoperitoneum. Can J Surg 2002; 45: 17, 67-8.
- Thompson SK, Williams KP. Kyphoscoliosis and pregnancy: a case report and review of the literature. Soc Obstet Gynecol Canada 2000; 22: 363-5.
- Thompson SK. The impact of a split-second error. CMAJ 1999; 160: 1351.
- Thompson SK, Whitelaw WA. The rising popularity of herbal medicines: medieval times and the present. Ann Royal Coll Phys Surg Canada 1998; 31: 103-5.
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Australia and New Zealand Gastric & Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG)
2008 - Chair of the Statewide Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multidisciplinary meeting
2008 - Tutor for the Short Course Programme, SA/NT Regional Board in General Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
2007 - Clinical Instructor for the Medical Student IVth Year Surgical Program, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
2004 - Ad hoc reviewer for Annals of Surgical Oncology, British Journal of Surgery, Diseases of the Esophagus
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2016
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this