Dr Themis Carageorgos
I am a Research fellow at the Australian School of Petroleum (ASP) of the University of Adelaide since 2008. I graduated in chemical engineering from the Fluminense Federal University (1979- Brazil) and I did my PhD in mineral resources engineering at Imperial College (1993 - London). From 1999 – 2007 I worked as an associated professor in petroleum engineering at North Fluminense State University (Brazil).
My main research interests are in laboratory studies of flow of suspension/colloid transport in porous media with applications to
formation damage, environmental engineering and unconventional energy resources (CBM, shale gas/oil, geothermal reservoirs).
1993 - PhD, Imperial College - London University, London, UK
1981 - MEng, Mineral Technology - COPPE - Rio de Janeiro Federal University, Brazil
1979 - Chemical Engineer, Fluminense Federal University, Brazil
- Oilfield scaling: laboartory studies; reaction kinetics and formation damage constants.
- Oilfield scaling in produced water re-injection.
- Laboratory study of well injectivity impairment.
- Propagation of oily particles, bacteria and viruses in aquifers - laboratory modelling.
- Laboratory studies to improve oil/gas recovery from unconventional resources.
- 2016 - Bhattacharya S. S., Paitaridis J., Pedler A., Badalyan A., Yang Y., Carageorgos T., Bedrikovetsky P.,Warren
D., Lemon N., Fines Mobilisation by
Low-Salinity Water Injection: 3-Point-Pressure Tests. SPE-178974 paper presented at SPE International
Conference on Formation damage
Control. Lafayette, Louisiana –USA, 24 – 26 February 2016.
- 2016 - Alexandre Vaz , Daniel Maffra, Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky,
Characterisation of Formation Damage
during Reactive Flows in Porous Media. Journal
of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 34 (2016) 1422 – 1433.
- 2016 - Alireza Keshavarz, Ray Johnson, Jr., Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky,
Alexander Badalyan, Improving the
Conductivity of Natural Fracture Systems in Conjunction with Hydraulic
Fracturing in Stress Sensitive Reservoirs. SPE-182306 paper accepted for presentation at SPE
Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Conference and
Exhibition (APOGCE) 2016, Perth, Australia, 25 – 27 October 2016.
2015 - Alexandre
Vaz, Daniel Maffra, Themis Carageorgos,
Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Characterisation of Reactive Flow in Porous Media from Pressure
Measurements. SPE-176545-MS. This paper was accepted for presentation at SPE Russian Petroleum Technology Conference
held in Moscow, Russia, 26–28 October
2015 - A.
Badalyan, T. Beasley, D. Nguyen, A. Kashavarz, U. Schacht, T. Carageorgos, Z. You, P. Bedrikovetsky, Laboratory
and Mathematical Modelling of Fines Production from CSG Interburden Rocks. SPE-177011-MS.
This paper was accepted for presentation at the SPE Asia Pacific Unconventional
Resources Conference and Exhibition
held in Brisbane, Australia, 9–11 November
2015 - A.
Keshavarz, A. Badalyan, T. Carageorgos,
R. Johnson, Jr., P. Bedrikovetsky, Effect
of Suspension Fluid Chemistry on Fracture System Stimulation using Micro-sized
Proppant Placement. SPE-176953-MS. This paper was accepted for presentation
at the SPE Asia Pacific Unconventional Resources Conference and Exhibition held in Brisbane, Australia, 9–11 November 2015.
2015 - Alireza Keshavarz, Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Raymond Johnson Jr.. Stimulation of coal seam permeability by
micro-sized graded proppant placement using selective fluid properties, Fuel 144 (2015) 228–236.
2015 - Hand M., Bedrikovetsky P., Huddlestone-Holmes C., Badalyan A., You Z.,
Brautigan D., Dillinger A., Carageorgos
T., Khair H. F. A., Bendall B., Matthews C. Case Study: Reservoir
quality in sedimentary geothermal settings in Australia. Oral presentation. Proceedings of Fortieth Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir
Engineering. 26-28 January, 2015,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, 14 pp.
2015 - Badalyan A., Carageorgos T., You Z., Schacht U.,
Bedrikovetsky P., Hand M., Matthews C. Laboratory study on formation damage
in geothermal reservoirs due to fines migration. Oral presentation. World
Geothermal Congress 2015. 19-24 April 2015, Melbourne, Australia-New
2015 - You Z., Badalyan A.,
Yang Y., Carageorgos T., Schacht U.,
Bedrikovetsky P. New laboratory method to assess formation damage in
geothermal wells. Oral presentation. SPE-174199-MS. SPE European Formation Damage Conference and Exhibition, 3-5 June 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- 2015 - Keshavarz A.,
Badalyan A., Carageorgos T.,
Bedrikovetsky P., Johnson R., Jr. Graded proppant injection into coal seam
gas and shale gas reservoirs for well stimulation. Oral presentation.
SPE-174200-MS. SPE European Formation
Damage Conference and Exhibition,
3-5 June 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- 2014 - Hussain F., Zeinijahromi A., Bedrikovetsky P.,
Badalyan A., Carageorgos T., Cinar
Y. Enhanced oil recovery through low salinity fines-assisted waterflooding:
laboratory and mathematical modelling. SPE-171525-MS. SPE Asia Pacific Oil
& Gas Conference and Exhibition,
14-16 October 2014, Adelaide,
Australia. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2118/171525-MS.
- 2014 - Badalyan A., Carageorgos
T., You Z., Schacht U., Bedrikovetsky P., Matthews C., Hand M. A new experimental procedure for formation
damage assessment in geothermal wells. Oral presentation. Proceedings of
Thirty-Ninth Workshop on Geothermal
Reservoir Engineering, 24-26 February
2014, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA.
2014 - Alireza Keshavarz, Alexander Badalyan,
Themis Carageorgos, Ray Johnson, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Stimulation of Unconventional Naturally
Fractured Reservoirs by Graded Proppant Injection: Experimental Study and Mathematical
Model, SPE paper 167757, presented at the SPE/EAGE European Unconventional
Conference and Exhibition, Vienna, Austria, 25–27 February 2014.
2014 - Alexander
Badalyan, Zhenjiang You, Kaiser Aji, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Themis Carageorgos and Abbas Zeinijahromi, Size exclusion deep bed filtration:
Experimental and modelling, Review
of Scientific Instruments 85, 015111 (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4861096
- 2014 - A. Keshavarz, A. Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, P. Bedrikovetsky and R. Johnson, Enhancement of CBM well fracturing through stimulation of cleat permeability by ultra-fine particle injection, APPEA Journal 2014—155-166.
- 2013 - Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Zhenjiang You,
Ulrike Schacht, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Chris Matthews, Martin Hand, Analysis of Field Case in Salamander-1
Geothermal Well, Proceedings
Australian Geothermal Energy Conferences 2013, Brisbane, Australia, 14-15
2013 - Aji K., You Z.,
Bedrikovetsky P., Badalyan A., Carageorgos
T. Experimental investigation for
colloid migration in porous media under particle-rock repulsion. Poster
Presentation and Extended Abstract. The Australian Petroleum Production &
Exploration Association Conference and Exhibition (APPEA 2013), Brisbane
Queensland, Australia, 26-29 May 2013.
2013 - F. Hussain, A. Zeinijahromi, P.
Bedrikovetsky, A. Badalyan, T.
Carageorgos, Y. Cinar, An
experimental study of improved oil recovery through fines-assisted
waterflooding, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. August 2013, 109, 187-197.
2013 - Keyiseer
Aji, Alexander Badalyan, Themis
Carageorgos, Abbas Zeinijahromi and Pavel Bedrikovetsky, High Velocity Colloidal Flow in Porous
Media: Experimental Study and Modelling in: Focus on Porous Media Research,
Ed. by Zhao C., Nova Science Publishers, NY, chapter 12 - pp.359-398. 2013
2012 - Hussain, F., Zeinijahromi, A., Bedrikovetsky, P., Cinar, Y., Badalyan, A., Carageorgos, T., Improved Oil Recovery by Mobilizing Fines during Waterflooding (Laboratory-based Incremental Recovery, SPE paper 149704 presented at the SPE North Africa Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Cairo, Egypt, 20-22 February.
- 2012 - A.Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, P. Bedrikovetsky, Z. You, A. Zeinijahromi and K. Aji, Critical analysis of uncertainties during particle filtration, Review of Scientific Instruments, 83, 095106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4749844.
- 2011 - Z. Mohiuddin, M. Haghighi, Y. Stokes, T. Carageorgos and D. Gibbins, Pore scale visualization and simulation of miscible displacement process under gravity domination, International Petroleum Technology Conference in Bangkok, Thailand, 15-17 November. IPTC 15310.
- 2010 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti and P. Bedrikovetsky, A new laboaratory method for evaluation of sulphate scaling parameters from pressure measurements, SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, June 2010, 438 - 448.
- 2009 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti and P. Bedrikovetsky, Characterize scaling damage from pressure measurements, Journal of Petroleum Technology, June 2009, 71 - 72.
- 2009 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti, R. Monteiro and P. Bedrikovetsky, Laboratory and well-history based predictions of productive decline due to oilfield scaling - Analytical modelling and field study, APPEA Journal.
- 2005 - P. Bedrikovetsky, R. Monteiro, R. Lopes, P. Moraes, T. Carageorgos, F.F. Rosário and E. A. Lima, Mathematical and Laboratory
Modelling of Reservoir Sulphate Scaling, Journal Progress in Mining and Oilfield
Chemistry, Akadémia Kiadó,
Budapest, Vol. 6, 1 - 36.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 19 Oct 2016
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this