Dr Themis Carageorgos
|Org Unit||Australian School of Petroleum|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 8046|
|Mobile||+61 4 4749 8503|
Santos Petroleum Engineering Building
I am a Research fellow at the Australian School of Petroleum (ASP) of the University of Adelaide since 2008. I graduated in chemical engineering from the Fluminense Federal University (1979- Brazil) and I did my PhD in mineral resources engineering at Imperial College (1993 - London). From 1999 – 2007 I worked as an associated professor in petroleum engineering at North Fluminense State University (Brazil).
My main research interests are in laboratory studies of flow of suspension/colloid transport in porous media with applications to formation damage, environmental engineering and unconventional energy resources (CBM, shale gas/oil, geothermal reservoirs).
1993 - PhD, Imperial College - London University, London, UK
1981 - MEng, Mineral Technology - COPPE - Rio de Janeiro Federal University, Brazil
1979 - Chemical Engineer, Fluminense Federal University, Brazil
- Oilfield scaling: laboartory studies; reaction kinetics and formation damage constants.
- Oilfield scaling in produced water re-injection.
- Laboratory study of well injectivity impairment.
- Propagation of oily particles, bacteria and viruses in aquifers - laboratory modelling.
- Laboratory studies to improve oil/gas recovery from unconventional resources.
- 2016 - Bhattacharya S. S., Paitaridis J., Pedler A., Badalyan A., Yang Y., Carageorgos T., Bedrikovetsky P.,Warren
D., Lemon N., Fines Mobilisation by
Low-Salinity Water Injection: 3-Point-Pressure Tests. SPE-178974 paper presented at SPE International
Conference on Formation damage
Control. Lafayette, Louisiana –USA, 24 – 26 February 2016.
- 2016 - Alexandre Vaz , Daniel Maffra, Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky,
Characterisation of Formation Damage
during Reactive Flows in Porous Media. Journal
of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 34 (2016) 1422 – 1433.
- 2016 - Alireza Keshavarz, Ray Johnson, Jr., Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky,
Alexander Badalyan, Improving the
Conductivity of Natural Fracture Systems in Conjunction with Hydraulic
Fracturing in Stress Sensitive Reservoirs. SPE-182306 paper accepted for presentation at SPE
Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Conference and
Exhibition (APOGCE) 2016, Perth, Australia, 25 – 27 October 2016.
2015 - Alexandre Vaz, Daniel Maffra, Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Characterisation of Reactive Flow in Porous Media from Pressure Measurements. SPE-176545-MS. This paper was accepted for presentation at SPE Russian Petroleum Technology Conference held in Moscow, Russia, 26–28 October 2015.
2015 - A. Badalyan, T. Beasley, D. Nguyen, A. Kashavarz, U. Schacht, T. Carageorgos, Z. You, P. Bedrikovetsky, Laboratory and Mathematical Modelling of Fines Production from CSG Interburden Rocks. SPE-177011-MS. This paper was accepted for presentation at the SPE Asia Pacific Unconventional Resources Conference and Exhibition held in Brisbane, Australia, 9–11 November 2015.
2015 - A. Keshavarz, A. Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, R. Johnson, Jr., P. Bedrikovetsky, Effect of Suspension Fluid Chemistry on Fracture System Stimulation using Micro-sized Proppant Placement. SPE-176953-MS. This paper was accepted for presentation at the SPE Asia Pacific Unconventional Resources Conference and Exhibition held in Brisbane, Australia, 9–11 November 2015.
2015 - Alireza Keshavarz, Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Raymond Johnson Jr.. Stimulation of coal seam permeability by micro-sized graded proppant placement using selective fluid properties, Fuel 144 (2015) 228–236.
2015 - Hand M., Bedrikovetsky P., Huddlestone-Holmes C., Badalyan A., You Z., Brautigan D., Dillinger A., Carageorgos T., Khair H. F. A., Bendall B., Matthews C. Case Study: Reservoir quality in sedimentary geothermal settings in Australia. Oral presentation. Proceedings of Fortieth Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering. 26-28 January, 2015, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, 14 pp.
2015 - Badalyan A., Carageorgos T., You Z., Schacht U., Bedrikovetsky P., Hand M., Matthews C. Laboratory study on formation damage in geothermal reservoirs due to fines migration. Oral presentation. World Geothermal Congress 2015. 19-24 April 2015, Melbourne, Australia-New Zealand.
2015 - You Z., Badalyan A., Yang Y., Carageorgos T., Schacht U., Bedrikovetsky P. New laboratory method to assess formation damage in geothermal wells. Oral presentation. SPE-174199-MS. SPE European Formation Damage Conference and Exhibition, 3-5 June 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- 2015 - Keshavarz A.,
Badalyan A., Carageorgos T.,
Bedrikovetsky P., Johnson R., Jr. Graded proppant injection into coal seam
gas and shale gas reservoirs for well stimulation. Oral presentation.
SPE-174200-MS. SPE European Formation
Damage Conference and Exhibition,
3-5 June 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- 2014 - Hussain F., Zeinijahromi A., Bedrikovetsky P.,
Badalyan A., Carageorgos T., Cinar
Y. Enhanced oil recovery through low salinity fines-assisted waterflooding:
laboratory and mathematical modelling. SPE-171525-MS. SPE Asia Pacific Oil
& Gas Conference and Exhibition,
14-16 October 2014, Adelaide,
Australia. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2118/171525-MS.
- 2014 - Badalyan A., Carageorgos
T., You Z., Schacht U., Bedrikovetsky P., Matthews C., Hand M. A new experimental procedure for formation
damage assessment in geothermal wells. Oral presentation. Proceedings of
Thirty-Ninth Workshop on Geothermal
Reservoir Engineering, 24-26 February
2014, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA.
2014 - Alireza Keshavarz, Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Ray Johnson, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Stimulation of Unconventional Naturally Fractured Reservoirs by Graded Proppant Injection: Experimental Study and Mathematical Model, SPE paper 167757, presented at the SPE/EAGE European Unconventional Conference and Exhibition, Vienna, Austria, 25–27 February 2014.
2014 - Alexander Badalyan, Zhenjiang You, Kaiser Aji, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Themis Carageorgos and Abbas Zeinijahromi, Size exclusion deep bed filtration: Experimental and modelling, Review of Scientific Instruments 85, 015111 (2014),
- 2014 - A. Keshavarz, A. Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, P. Bedrikovetsky and R. Johnson, Enhancement of CBM well fracturing through stimulation of cleat permeability by ultra-fine particle injection, APPEA Journal 2014—155-166.
- 2013 - Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Zhenjiang You,
Ulrike Schacht, Pavel Bedrikovetsky, Chris Matthews, Martin Hand, Analysis of Field Case in Salamander-1
Geothermal Well, Proceedings
Australian Geothermal Energy Conferences 2013, Brisbane, Australia, 14-15
2013 - Aji K., You Z., Bedrikovetsky P., Badalyan A., Carageorgos T. Experimental investigation for colloid migration in porous media under particle-rock repulsion. Poster Presentation and Extended Abstract. The Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association Conference and Exhibition (APPEA 2013), Brisbane Queensland, Australia, 26-29 May 2013.
2013 - F. Hussain, A. Zeinijahromi, P. Bedrikovetsky, A. Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, Y. Cinar, An experimental study of improved oil recovery through fines-assisted waterflooding, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. August 2013, 109, 187-197.
2013 - Keyiseer Aji, Alexander Badalyan, Themis Carageorgos, Abbas Zeinijahromi and Pavel Bedrikovetsky, High Velocity Colloidal Flow in Porous Media: Experimental Study and Modelling in: Focus on Porous Media Research, Ed. by Zhao C., Nova Science Publishers, NY, chapter 12 - pp.359-398. 2013
2012 - Hussain, F., Zeinijahromi, A., Bedrikovetsky, P., Cinar, Y., Badalyan, A., Carageorgos, T., Improved Oil Recovery by Mobilizing Fines during Waterflooding (Laboratory-based Incremental Recovery, SPE paper 149704 presented at the SPE North Africa Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Cairo, Egypt, 20-22 February.
- 2012 - A.Badalyan, T. Carageorgos, P. Bedrikovetsky, Z. You, A. Zeinijahromi and K. Aji, Critical analysis of uncertainties during particle filtration, Review of Scientific Instruments, 83, 095106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4749844.
- 2011 - Z. Mohiuddin, M. Haghighi, Y. Stokes, T. Carageorgos and D. Gibbins, Pore scale visualization and simulation of miscible displacement process under gravity domination, International Petroleum Technology Conference in Bangkok, Thailand, 15-17 November. IPTC 15310.
- 2010 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti and P. Bedrikovetsky, A new laboaratory method for evaluation of sulphate scaling parameters from pressure measurements, SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, June 2010, 438 - 448.
- 2009 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti and P. Bedrikovetsky, Characterize scaling damage from pressure measurements, Journal of Petroleum Technology, June 2009, 71 - 72.
- 2009 - T. Carageorgos, M. Marotti, R. Monteiro and P. Bedrikovetsky, Laboratory and well-history based predictions of productive decline due to oilfield scaling - Analytical modelling and field study, APPEA Journal.
- 2005 - P. Bedrikovetsky, R. Monteiro, R. Lopes, P. Moraes, T. Carageorgos, F.F. Rosário and E. A. Lima, Mathematical and Laboratory Modelling of Reservoir Sulphate Scaling, Journal Progress in Mining and Oilfield Chemistry, Akadémia Kiadó, Budapest, Vol. 6, 1 - 36.
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/themis.carageorgos