Dr Tina Bianco-Miotto
2013- Lecturer, School of Agriculture Food and Wine, The University of Adelaide
2011- Member, Pregnancy and Birth Theme, Robinson Research Institute
& Placental Development Laboratory
2009-2012 W Bruce Hall Cancer Research Fellow, Cancer Council SA, The University of Adelaide
2005-2009 NHMRC Peter Doherty Fellow, Discipline of Medicine, The University of Adelaide
2003-2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Discipline of Medicine, The University of Adelaide
2002-2003 Research Officer & Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, Royal Adelaide Hospital & The University of Adelaide
1998-2002 Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
1997 Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours), The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
1993-1996 Bachelor of Science, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Science
Nutrition III - Course Coordinator
Food and Nutrition I
Bachelor of Applied Biology
Principles & Practice of Science for App Biology I - Course Coordinator
- Wilson RL, Buckberry S, Spronk F, Laurence JA, Leemaqz S, O'Leary S, Bianco-Miotto T, Du J, Anderson PH, Roberts CT. Vitamin D receptor gene ablation in the conceptus has limited effects on placental morphology, function and pregnancy outcome. PLoS One. 2015. 10(6):e0131287.
- Buckberry S, Bianco-Miotto T,
Bent SJ, Dekker GA, Roberts CT. Integrative transcriptome meta-analysis reveals
widespread sex-biased gene expression at the human fetal–maternal interface. Molecular
Human Reproduction. 2014. 20(8):810-9.
- Buckberry S, Bent SJ, Bianco-Miotto
T, Roberts CT. massiR: a method for predicting the sex of samples in gene
expression micro-array datasets. Bioinformatics. 2014. 30(14):2084-5.
- Bianco-Miotto T, Trotta AP, Need EF, Lee AMC, Ochnik A, Giorgio L,
Leach DA, Swinstead EE, O’Loughlin MA, Newman MR, Birrell SN, Butler LM, Harris
JH, Buchanan G. Molecular and structural basis of androgen receptor responses
to dihydrotestosterone, medroxyprogesterone acetate and Δ4-tibolone. Molecular
and Cellular Endocrinology. 2014. 382(2):899-908.
- Buckberry S, Bianco-Miotto T,
Roberts CT. Imprinted and X-linked non-coding RNAs as potential regulators of
human placental function. Epigenetics. 2014. 9(1):81-9..
- Ochnik AM, Moore NM, Jankovic-Karasoulos T, Bianco-Miotto T, Ryan NK, Thomas MR, Birrell SN, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Hickey TE. The anti-androgenic actions of medroxyprogesterone acetate in epithelial cells within normal human breast tissues cultured ex vivo. Menopause. 2014. 21(1):79-88.
- Chiam K, Ricciardelli C, Bianco-Miotto T. Epigenetic Biomarkers in Prostate Cancer: Current and Future Uses. Cancer Letters. 2014. 342(2):248-56.
- Day TK, Bianco-Miotto T. Genome wide DNA methylation analyses in breast and prostate cancer. Invited Review. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013. 20(5):R215-32.
- Andraweera PH, Dekker GA, Dissanayake VHW, Bianco-Miotto T, Jayasekara RW, Roberts CT. Vascular endothelial growth factor family gene polymorphisms in preeclampsia in Sinhalese women in Sri-Lanka. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013. 26(5):532-6.
- Chiam K, Ryan NK, Ricciardelli C, Day TK, Buchanan G, Ochnik AM, Murti K, Australian Prostate Cancer BioResource, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Bianco-Miotto T. Characterization of the Prostate Cancer Susceptibility Gene KLF6 in Human and Mouse Prostate Cancers. Prostate. 2013. 73(2):182-93.
- Buckberry S, Bianco-Miotto T, Hiendleder S, Roberts CT. Quantitative allele-specific expression and DNA methylation analysis of H19, IGF2 and IGF2R in the human placenta across gestation reveals H19 imprinting plasticity. PLoS One. 2012. 7(12):e51210.
- Moore NL, Buchanan G, Harris JM, Selth LA, Bianco-Miotto T, Birrell SN, Butler LM, Hickey TE, Tilley WD. A ligand binding domain mutation in the MB-MDA-453 cell line model of molecular apocrine breast cancer compromises androgen receptor activity. Endocr Relat Cancer, 2012, 19(4):599-613.
- Thompson VC, Day TK, Bianco-Miotto T, Selth LA, Han G, Thomas M, Buchanan G, Scher HI, the Australian Prostate Cancer BioResource, Greenberg NM, Butler LM, Tilley WD. A gene signature identified using a mouse model of androgen receptor-dependent prostate cancer predicts biochemical relapse in human disease. Int J Cancer. 2012. 131(3):662-672.
- Chiam K, Centenera MM, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Bianco-Miotto T. GSTP1 DNA methylation and expression status is indicative of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine efficacy in human prostate cancer cells. PLoS One. 2011. 6(9):e25634.
- Buchanan G, Need EF, Barrett JM, Bianco-Miotto T, Thompson VC, Butler LM, Marshall VR, Tilley WD, Coetzee GA. Corepressor effect on androgen receptor activity varies with the length of the CAG encoded polyglutamine repeat and is dependent on receptor/corepressor ratio in prostate cancer cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011. 342(1-2):20-31.
- Bianco-Miotto T, Chiam K, Buchanan G, Jindal S, Day TK, Thomas M, Pickering MA, O'Loughlin M, Ryan NK, Raymond WA, Horvath LG, Kench JG, Stricker PD, Marshall VR, Sutherland RL, Henshall SM, Gerald WL, Scher HI, Risbridger GP, Clements JA, Butler LM, Tilley WD, Horsfall DJ, Ricciardelli C; for the Australian Prostate Cancer BioResource. Global levels of specific histone modifications and an epigenetic gene signature predict prostate cancer progression and development. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010. 19(10):2611-22
- Ricciardelli C*, Bianco-Miotto T*, Jindal S, Dodd TJ, Cohen PA, Marshall VR, Sutherland PD, Samaratunga H, Kench J, Dong Y, Wang H, Clements JA, Risbridger GP, Sutherland RL, Tilley WD, Horsfall DJ; for the Australian Prostate Cancer BioResource. Comparative biomarker expression and RNA integrity in biospecimens derived from radical retropubic and robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomies. (*Joint first authors). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010. 19(7):1755-65.
- Peters AA, Buchanan G, Ricciardelli C, Bianco-Miotto T, Centenera MM, Harris JM, Jindal S, Segara D, Jia L, Moore NL, Henshall SM, Coetzee GA, Sutherland RL, Butler LM, Tilley WD. Androgen receptor inhibits genomic activity of estrogen receptor-alpha and is prognostic for breast cancer outcome. Cancer Res. 2009. 69:6131-40.
- Bianco-Miotto T, Hussey DJ, Day TK, O'Keefe DS, Dobrovic A. DNA methylation of the ABO promoter underlies loss of ABO allelic expression in a significant proportion of leukemic patients. PLoS One. 2009. 4(3):e4788.
- Chiam K, Tilley WD, Butler LM, Bianco-Miotto T. The dynamic and static modification of the epigenome by hormones: a role in the developmental origin of hormone related cancers. Biochim Biophys Acta - Reviews on Cancer. 2009. 1795: 104-109.
- Cops EJ, Bianco-Miotto T, Moore NL, Clarke CL, Birrell SN, Butler LM, Tilley WD. Antiproliferative actions of the synthetic androgen, mibolerone, in breast cancer cells are mediated by both androgen and progesterone receptors. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008. 110:236-43.
- Marrocco DL, Tilley WD, Bianco-Miotto T, Evdokiou A, Scher HI, Rifkind RA, Marks PA, Richon VM, Butler LM. Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA; vorinostat) represses androgen receptor expression and acts synergistically with an androgen receptor antagonist to inhibit prostate cancer cell proliferation. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007. 6:51-60.
- Buchanan G, Birrell SN, Peters AA, Bianco-Miotto T, Ramsay K, Cops EJ, Yang M, Harris JM, Simila HA, Moore NL, Bentel JM, Ricciardelli C, Horsfall DJ, Butler LM, Tilley WD. Decreased androgen receptor levels and receptor function in breast cancer contribute to the failure of response to medroxyprogesterone acetate. Cancer Res. 2005. 65:8487-96.
- Smith E*, Bianco-Miotto T*, Drew P, Watson D. Method for optimizing methylation-specific PCR. BioTechniques. 2003. 35:32-33. (*Joint first authors).
- Dobrovic A, Bianco T, Tan LW, Sanders T, Hussey D. Screening for and analysis of methylation differences using methylation-sensitive single-strand conformation analysis. Methods. 2002. 27:134-8.
- Tan LW, Bianco T, Dobrovic A. Variable promoter region CpG island methylation of the putative tumor suppressor gene Connexin 26 in breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2002. 23:231-6.
- Bianco T, Farmer BJ, Sage RE, Dobrovic A. Loss of red cell A, B, and H antigens is frequent in myeloid malignancies. Blood. 2001. 97:3633-39.
- Bianco T, Chenevix-Trench G, Walsh DC, Cooper JE, Dobrovic A. Tumour-specific distribution of BRCA1 promoter region methylation supports a pathogenetic role in breast and ovarian cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2000. 21:147-51.
- Butler LM, Dobrovic A, Bianco T, Cowled PA. Promoter region methylation does not account for the frequent loss of expression of the Fas gene in colorectal carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2000. 82:131-5.
- Bianco T, Hussey D, Dobrovic A. Methylation-sensitive, single-strand conformation analysis (MS-SSCA): A rapid method to screen for and analyze methylation. Hum Mutat. 1999. 14:289-93.
- Chiam K, Day TK, Bianco-Miotto T. Recent updates on epigenetic biomarkers for prostate cancer. In: Epigenetics and Cancer. Sarkar FH (Ed), Springer, 2012.
- Buchanan G, Need EF, Bianco-Miotto T, Greenberg NM, Scher HI, Centenera MM, Butler LM, Robins DM, Tilley WD. Insights from AR gene mutations. In: Androgen Action in Prostate Cancer. Tindall DJ & Mohler JL (Eds). Springer, New York, pp207-240, 2009.
Bianco-Miotto T. Epigenetic Biomarker. In: Encyclopedia of Cancer. Schwab M (Ed), Springer, 2012.
Entry last updated: Friday, 13 Jan 2017
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this