Applying for certification of a facility
- Area to determine type of facility and level of containment required for the GMO work which will be undertaken in the facility (refer to OGTR Guidelines and Explanatory Information on Guidelines for Certification of Physical Containment Facilities and Guide to Physical Containment Levels and Facility Types)
- Area to nominate a 'Facility Manager'
- Area to ensure that facility meets the criteria listed in the relevant OGTR Guidelines (discuss with IBC Secretary if necessary)
- Area to complete the IBC Facility Coversheet and the OGTR form Application for certification of a facility (V1-4) and ensure all attachments are in order (including the floorplan). A copy of Standard Operating Procedures or the Facility Manual also need to be submitted with the application form.
- If relevant, apply to the OGTR for a declaration that specified information is confidential commercial information by completing the OGTR form 'Application for declaration that specified information is confidential commercial information (CCI)?
- Area to forward completed forms (ie as indicated at 4. and 5. above) to IBC Secretary
- IBC Secretary to arrange to undertake an inspection of the facility - during the inspection the IBC Secretary, accompanied by the Facility Manager, will complete the relevant OGTR checklist
- Any issues arising during inspection to be addressed by area
- Application for certification to be endorsed by IBC prior to submitting to OGTR
- OGTR will issue an 'identifier' (in the form Cert xxxx/200y) upon receipt of application
NOTE: allocation of this identifier does not confirm certification
- OGTR will advise IBC Secretary of any issues requiring clarification or attention
- As required, IBC Secretary will liaise with area to complete application process
- The application is assessed by the OGTR. Applications are decided within 90 working days of receipt of the application by the OGTR, unless the period is extended because the Regulator has sought additional information from the applicant
- OGTR will issue an 'instrument of certification' to the applicant organisation and will forward appropriate door signage and facility practice signage
- IBC Secretary will confirm with Facility Manager that GMO dealings may now commence within the certified facility
- IBC will maintain a register of certified facilities
- IBC Secretary will liaise with the Facility Manager on any issues of relevance which arise