Skip to content

Information for Staff Travelling on University Business

Planning to Travel

The University requires anyone travelling in the course of official University activities or on its behalf, to seek and be granted approval prior to the travel taking place.

If you are a Corporate Credit Card holder, the process for obtaining approval is to raise a domestic or international travel requsition through the Expense Management System (EMS).  This is then automatically workflowed to your travel approver.  You will be notified when your travel has been approved and can then proceed to book and pay for your travel.

If you are a non cardholder and required to travel, you will need to use a local Travel Arranger to submit a travel requisition on your behalf and arrange your travel.  To assist with this process, a Notification to Travel Form has been developed.  Please check with your Travel Arranger for the local process regarding the use of this form.

When planning your travel, please check the latest travel warnings issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.  Travel to countries with a Level 3 ("Reconsider your need to travel") or Level 4 travel warning ("Do not travel") can only be approved by the Vice-Chancellor and President by completing a Request for Approval to Travel to a High Risk Destination form.

Private Travel & FBT

The University has received a ruling from the ATO (Australian Tax Office) about Private Travel and FBT (Fringe Benefits Tax). Guidelines and FAQ's have been developed to assist anyone travelling on behalf of the University considering incorporating private travel as part of their trip. There is also a FBT & Private Travel Calculator to help determine if FBT is applicable.

Before you travel check list

  • T&E Corporate Credit Card

    The University of Adelaide requires each staff member who travels on University business more than once internationally or twice yearly domestically, to apply for and hold a University Corporate Travel & Entertainment Credit Card. The credit card will be used to pay for all travel costs, expenses and entertaining.

    Non staff and infrequent travellers who do not have a Corporate Travel & Entertainment Credit Card may use the services of a travel arranger to book their travel and to arrange payment for that travel.

    Once you have your Travel & Entertainment Corporate Credit Card -

    • Set up your PIN -  if you are travelling internationally, some countries won't accept a signature
    • Check your credit card limit - do you have enough credit? If booking AND travelling within the same month, you may not have sufficient funds for the duration of your trip.  

    Incidental Allowances

    The University will make incidental allowances available to staff who travel on behalf of the University where the terms and conditions attached to the funding source permit and a travel requisition has been approved. Incidental allowances will be paid in advance to the traveller and no supporting evidence or acquittal is required against using that allowance.  Download the Fact Sheet for more information.

    Reimbursement of Out of Pocket Expenses

    Travellers may seek reimbursement for expenses incurred whilst travelling that were unable to be paid for using the corporate credit card or incidental allowance.  Reimbursements are claimed via the Expense Management System.

  • Travel Bookings

    The University has contracts with three Travel Management Companies to provide international travel services, and all international travel bookings must be made through them. The University has also entered into a number of commercial arrangements to secure discounted international airfares. These fares are only available through the contracted travel management companies.

    The University has acquired an On-Line Booking System (OBS) for the purpose of booking domestic airfares, rental cars and accommodation. Domestic travel can be booked online via the booking system or directly with one of the University's preferred Travel Management Consultants. Qantas & Virgin Australia now offer discounts to the University on the majority of their domestic airfares. The discounted fares can be accessed via the Online Travel Booking System or via our TMC's.

  • Travel Safety & Insurance

    For information on your safety whilst travelling on behalf of the University, please refer to the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy and Handbook under Travel Safety.  For further information please contact the HSW Manager in your Faculty/Division.

    The University has engaged the services of Customer Care to assist in the management of travel safety. Customer Care provide updates on health and security situations across the globe, email & text advice to travellers and an online tool called "red24 travel tracker" that enables the University to quickly determine the location and contact details of University staff travelling overseas when booked through the University's preferred TMC's - refer to the Legal & Risk website for more information.

    The University purchases travel insurance for all staff and students travelling interstate or overseas on approved University travel.  For more details and to download information on the University's travel insurance provider, refer to the Legal & Risk Travel Insurance webpage.

  • Airline Lounges & Membership

    Staff travelling on University business can get a discount off the Qantas Club membership/renewal rate.  To take up this offer, you will need to obtain the University's Corporate ID number by contacting the T&E Support Desk on ext. 33330 or Linda Peluso on ext. 35242.  Please note that the discount is applicable only to the membership/renewal fee and not the joining fee.  To view the current rates, visit the Qantas website.

    Once you have the University's Corporate ID number, please ring Qantas on 131131 to complete the application over the phone.  If you are an existing Frequent Flyer member, please provide the number upon application.

    If you have any queries in relation to the above, please contact Linda Peluso on ext. 35242.





T: +61 8 8313 7898
F: +61 8 8313 4350