Applications are invited for the following scholarship leading to the degree of Master of Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy in the School of Mathematical Sciences.
The scholarship is supported by the Australian Research Council through Dr Hang Wang's Discovery Early Career Researcher Award under the project name Index Theory for Spaces with Symmetries.
Field of Study: Pure mathematics (geometry, functional analysis, topology and representation theory).
Background of the research field associated to the scholarship: In the 1960s, Atiyah and Singer discovered an amazing link between topology and geometry from studying index theory of elliptic operators. Over the past 30 years, foundational progress has been made in understanding the geometry and topology of spaces with symmetries, with the help of operator algebra. This motivates a research into index theory in relation with geometry, topology, representation theory and number theory. The MPhil and PhD project will fall in a broad context of these fields.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree (awarded or to be expected before June 2017) in (Pure) Mathematics, an excellent performance in the core courses in Pure Mathematics (such as differential geometry, topology and functional analysis), and a strong interest/motivation towards research in Pure Mathematics.
- Minimal requirement for English proficiency from the University of Adelaide must be satisfied for applicants whose first language is not English. Detailed language requirement.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- An honours or master degree in Pure Mathematics is desired for the PhD position.
- Research experience in Pure Mathematics (evidence includes research papers or thesis).
- Strong presentation, communication and writing skills.
Stipend: The scholarship will be for up to three years and has a stipend equivalent to the APA rate ($26,288 per annum in 2016 (indexed)). It is likely to be tax exempt, subject to Taxation Office approval.
Enquiries: Dr Hang Wang,
School of Mathematical Sciences,
Tel: (08) 8313 5086
Fax: (08) 8313 3696
Note: Your statement of purpose, CV, transcript(s) and recommendation letter(s) will be required for processing your application.
Applying: Application for Admission must be submitted using the Online Application Form available at: Domestic students orInternational students
Please email a summary of your application for admission to Dr Hang Wang, (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Application for the ARC-funded Postgraduate Scholarship” in the subject heading.
You can request a copy of your application summary by emailing email@example.com with the subject heading 'Request for application summary'.