All leadership development is being designed with a primary focus on seven critical leadership capabilities. Identified by a diverse group of senior University leaders, these capabilities represent the essence of the leadership the University needs today and will require in the future.
In summary the critical leadership capabilities are:
|Strategic thinking and acting|
- Focusing externally and internally on the things that matter most and considering them from multiple perspectives
- Bringing insight and innovation to identifying a desirable future strategic position
- Stimulating progress by communicating the underlying need and purpose for change
- Implementing an integrated plan to bring about desired changes.
|Responsiveness in decision making|
- In the face of ambiguity, making swift decisions in the best interests of the University.
- Clearly communicating the decision, its rationale and reasoning
- Implementing them with a bias for action.
|Leading change toward higher performance|
- Stimulating and guiding deliberate progress toward a clear and engaging goal.
- Supporting people as they and their work groups transition to the new reality.
- Anticipating and removing barriers to progress and maintaining momentum toward success.
|Thinking and acting as one team |
- Identifying with the whole of the University as much as with one's own area.
- Thinking 'one-team', collaborating across boundaries and promoting cohesion with others.
|Communicating with influence and impact|
- Influencing others' thinking, attitude and action through convincing dialogue based on profound knowledge and credible reasoning.
- Telling a great story with conviction.
- Handling sensitive information and delicate situations diplomatically.
|Fostering excellence in learning and inquiry|
- Actively seeking emergent and leading opinion and considering multiple viewpoints.
- Promoting team and organisational learning by encouraging and guiding reflection on work practices to nourish the wisdom of experience and transform knowledge into know-how
|Exemplifying personal drive and integrity|
- Embodying the University's values, being a model of ethical conduct and guiding and supporting others to do the same.
- Constantly aspiring to standards of excellence.
- Persisting through barriers towards goal achievement.