Role Statement for Associate Dean (Research)
The Associate Dean reports to the Executive Dean. The role is to be performed in such a way as to make an effective contribution to research within the Faculty in accordance with the University’s and Faculty’s strategic plans.
The key responsibilities of the Associate Dean shall include:
- Membership of the following Committees:
- Membership of Faculty Board
- Membership of Executive Dean’s Advisory Committee
- Convenor of the Faculty Research Committee including the following duties:
- In conjunction with the Heads of School and Executive Dean, develop strategic research direction for the Faculty
- In conjunction with the Heads of School and Executive Dean, develop a strategy for the use of Faculty strategic initiative funding and co-ordinate the schemes for the distribution of this funding (currently the Small Research Grant Scheme, the $1000 scheme, LIEF and other competitive grant support, and various other ad hoc initiatives)
- Co-ordinate research activities across the Faculty
- Promote mentoring schemes for researchers, including the grant review scheme
- Co-ordinate supervisor training within the Faculty
- Offer various workshops, eg: ECR forum, grant information, supervisor workshop
- Co-ordinate the Faculty Overseas Short Conference Leave and Faculty Special Studies program.
- Develop and regularly update a Faculty research plan.
- Represent the Faculty on the University Research Committee, including the following duties:
- Assist in the development of University research strategy
- Develop schemes in accordance with the University research strategy
- Engage in the various items of business of this Committee, eg: approval of University research centres
- Participate in the development of research-related policy, eg: IP policy, responsible practice in research
- Participate in sub-committees of URC e.g. CRC Management committee
- Participate in internal university selection rounds of Federation Fellows, CRC, LIEF, etc.
- Take a proactive role in encouraging the research effort in the Faculty in line with the research plan.
- Disseminate to staff in the Faculty information on a range of research related matters.
- Monitor the outcome of grant applications within the Faculty.
- Co-ordinate the annual (DETYA) DEST Publications Audit for the Faculty.
- Provide Faculty specific research information and data to the VC, DVCR and ARI on demand.
- Participate in meetings and visits as required by the DVCR and ARI.
- Other duties or projects as reasonably assigned by the Executive Dean.
Approved by the Committee of Executive Deans 8 March 2006.