Checklists for Convenors and Members of Appointment Committees
This tool provides checklists for Convenors and Members of Appointment Committees.
- Has a Duty Statement (Professional Staff
only) and Selection Criteria been developed
for the position? Can the Criteria be divided into 'essential' and 'desirable'
attributes? Is it necessary to specify the teaching or research field(s)?
- Has the composition of the Appointments Committee been met?
- a minimum of two and a maximum of five people
- gender balance where possible
- a person with expertise in the field
- a person who has an understanding of how the role contributes to the
effectiveness of the area.
- Is at least one person, preferably the Convenor, trained in recruitment
and the principles of equity and diversity?
- Has the draft Advertisement been provided
with the Advertising Form,
including Selection Criteria,
and a signed Duty Statement
(if Professional Staff)?
- Has appropriate advertising of the position been identified in order to
attract the best candidates for the position? (ie. advertising in at least
The Australian and The Advertiser).
- If non-Australian residents are likely to apply, have all the requirements
of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship been met?
- Has the short-listing process been carried out by the Appointment Committee,
or by a sub-group of the Appointment Committee?
- Have the essential selection criteria been used as a basis for short-listing?
- Has the Appointments Committee selected the most effective selection process
for the position? (It is recommended that the minimum selection technique
be an interview.) Is an interview required? Do interview questions reflect
the Selection Criteria?
- Have reference checks been carried out? (It is recommended that references
be obtained either verbally – using the Referee
Proforma – or via email.)
- If required, will unsuccessful candidates be given verbal feedback? Who
will provide the feedback?
- Has the authorised Appointment
Form and accompanying documentation been forwarded to Human Resources
for preparation of the contract?
Appointment Committee Member's Checklist
- Are you clear on your role and responsibilities on the Committee?
- Do you need any support or coaching on the range of selection techniques?
- Do you have a signed copy of the Duty Statement? (Professional Staff only)
- Do you have a copy of the Selection Criteria?
- What short listing criteria will be used?
- Have equity and diversity issues been addressed?
- What other selection techniques will be used?
- Who will undertake referee checking?
- Who will provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates?