The Integrated Bridging Program - Research (IBP R) is a part-time program for international research students. It aims to enhance understanding of the academic, linguistic and cultural conventions of postgraduate study in their discipline at the University of Adelaide.
The program is accredited as Domain A on the Researcher Development Framework (RDF). Students undertaking the IBP-R can claim a maximum of 30 Career and Research Skills Training (CaRST) activity hours.
The IBP R is delivered in three components:
- Discipline Specific Seminars
- Consultations - by appointment (as required until CCSP Milestone signoff).
There are 4 Key Macro Skill areas addressed in the program:
- Research Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Oral Communication Skills
- Graduate Attributes.
Program registration, orientation and diagnostic task
- Registration to the program is compulsory for all commencing international higher degree by research students.
- Domestic students who intend to undertake the program need to register.
- Registration information is emailed to students prior to commencement of the program.
- All students are required to attend an orientation session and diagnostic task to determine the level of participation required.
- Participation level and requirements will be emailed to students the following week.
Participation level and requirements
Students are emailed their participation level and requirement. The outcomes could be one of the following:
- Full Participation: attend all seminars and lectures; submit drafts of research proposal (as required); attend consultations (as required); deliver a practice presentation; be signed off by supervisor and IBP R staff.
- Negotiated Participation: attend seminars and lectures; participate in assignments (optional); submit drafts of research proposal (as required); attend consultations (as required); deliver a practice presentation (optional); be signed off by supervisor (RSAM document) and Consulting Teacher (IBP R completion document).
- Exemption: not required to participate in the IBP R (however welcome to attend).
Please note: All students attending IBP R are able to claim a proportion of attendance hours towards the university required CaRST hours (120 hours PhD, 60 hours MPhil).
Assignments are related to the Core Component of the Structured Program (CCSP) and/or the production of research writing and oral presentations. No extraneous work is required.
Participants in the program submit drafts of their research proposal and give a practice presentation in the seminar session (optional for Negotiated Students). These are assessed in regard to communication issues.
This part time program has been designed with the work schedules of busy researchers in mind. Suggested deadlines are provided and consideration is given in regard to student commitments and CCSP deadlines.
See MyUni for details of assignments after course commencement.
There are no fees for higher degree by research students.