Collections and locations in the Library
The University of Adelaide Library comprises a number of libraries each of which contains individual collections.
This page provides brief descriptions of the different collections and locations you are likely to come across in Search results.
|BSL (Barr Smith Library)|
|Offsite (in storage) Collections|
BSL (Barr Smith Library)
- Chemistry Dept
- For access to books and journals with the Location: Chemistry Dept, contact the School of Chemistry and Physics Office.
- EUi collection
- Monographs of the European Union are all classified at 337.142
Journal material, including the Bulletin of the European Union, annual reports and statistics, are all classified at 337.14205
More information on the European Union publications is available.
- Geographical and Environmental Studies Dept
- For access to items with the Location: Geographical and Environmental Studies Dept, contact the Geographical and Environmental Studies Office.
- In Storage: Use the Requests button
- Closed storage. If you need an item in this category use the Requests button at the top of the page with the catalogue record for the item. Choose Request (incl. Store & Intercampus) from the drop-down menu.
- Items are collected each morning. Items requested by 11am Monday - Friday will be available after 12.
- Joint Library Store
- Many older items are kept in an off-campus store known as the Joint Library Store or Universities' Research Repository - South Australia (URRSA). Use the Requests button on the Library Catalogue. If you are not a registered borrower of the Library, items may be requested for you by Library staff.
Visit the Joint Library Store page for more information.
- Main collection
- Many of the Barr Smith Library's books and journals are shelved in the Main collection on Levels 1 and 2, in one call number sequence. See floor plans for the locations of call numbers.
- New books
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 3, displayed for one week.
Or check the weekly lists of new books that have been added to the library.
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 3. The latest issue and a small number of recent issues are on display racks. The latest month of newspapers are kept in the Reserve collection on Level 3 North.
- Offsite storage
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Temporarily in offsite storage. This item is unavailable.
Registered Library users who need an article from one of these journals should place a Document delivery request. The article will be supplied free of charge.
- Oversize collection 000-999
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 2 North: outside the Barr Smith Reading Room.
- Recent journals (Barr Smith Library, Level 3)
- The latest issues of some general interest journals are kept on display shelves on Level 3.
- Reference collection
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 2 North, outside the Barr Smith Reading Room. For use within the Library only.
- Reserve collection
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 3 North. A collection of items that are in high demand: essential and required reading as well as DVDs and CDs.
More information on the Reserve collection is available.
- Schulz collection
- Held in the Schulz Library, Education Building, Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street. Available for loan only to staff and students of the School of Education, unless otherwise authorised. Access to the collection may be obtained by contacting the School secretary.
More information on the Schulz collection is available.
- Special collections
- Location: Barr Smith Library, Level 1 South. Houses old and rare books, and fine and limited editions; specialist Pacific and Theatre collections; and University of Adelaide publications, amongst other items. For use only in the Library.
More information on Rare Books & Special collections and on its Digitised collections is available.
- Law (Law Library)
- The Law Library located on the lower two floors of the Ligertwood (Law School) Building, North Terrace Campus. More information on Law Library collections is available.
- Music (Elder Music Library)
- Located in the Hartley Building, Kintore Avenue, North Terrace Campus. More information on the Elder Music Library is available.
- Roseworthy (Roseworthy Campus Library)
- The Roseworthy Campus Library is located approximately 50 kilometres north of Adelaide and 12 kilometres from the nearest main town of Gawler. Supports the research and teaching of the Faculty of Sciences. More information on the Roseworthy Campus Library collections is available.
- Waite (Waite Library)
- The Waite Library is located at the Waite Campus at Urrbrae, eight kilometres south-east of Adelaide. Supports the research and teaching of the Faculty of Sciences. More information on the Waite Library is available.
Last update: 5 November 2012 by Margaret Colmer