Unit 1.2 Display and sort references
Choose the fields displayed
You can choose the fields to be displayed in your EndNote Library.
- You might start with:
- From the EDIT menu, choose PREFERENCES then Display Fields.
- For example, you could use the arrows to change Column 1 to Record Number and column 5 to Journal/Secondary Title. Click OK.
By default EndNote libraries are sorted alphabetically by author and then by year within each author. You can change the sort order.
Or you can set several levels of sorting. For example, you could sort by year first, then by author for the same year, then by title for the same year and author.
- Click the column heading (e.g. Title or Year) to sort the display window by that column.
- Click the same heading again to reverse the order of sorting (e.g. A to Z or Z to A, latest year first or ealiest year first).
You can also set other sorting preferences. For example, you can specify words that should be ignored when they occur at the beginning of author names (e.g. von, Von) and titles (e.g. foreign language articles such as le, der).
- From the REFERENCES menu, select SORT REFERENCES.
- Click the arrow next to each box, and select the field you want to sort by (e.g. Year for the first sort box, Author for the second box, etc.)
- Click the button next to each box if you want to change from ascending to descending order or the reverse.
- EndNote will remember these settings as the default sort order when you next open the library.
- From the EDIT menu, select PREFERENCES then Sorting.
- Enter the word to be ignored in the text box below the Author Field or Title Field prompt, and click Add and click OK.