Overseas Parliamentary publications in the Barr Smith Library
Please note that this is an old list and locations of items may have changed. Please check current locations in the Library catalogue.
Parliamentary publications began in 1841 when Upper Canada and Lower Canada were merged to form the Province of Canada.
The Dominion of Canada came into existence in 1867.
Province of Canada. Legislative Assembly. Journal.
- 1841-1866. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 1-42
Province of Canada. Legislative Council. Journal.
- 1841-1866. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 43-52
- Province of Canada. Sessional Papers.
- 1860-1866. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 53-64
[1841-1859 appeared as duplicate Appendices to both sets of Journals]
- Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Debates.
- 1875-1970. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 65-294
- Canada Parliament. House of Commons. Journals.
- 1867-1970. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 295-334
- Canada. Parliament. Senate. Debates.
- 1867-1970. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 335-366
- Canada. Parliament. Senate. Journals.
- 1867-1970. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 367-385
- Canada. Parliament. Sessional Papers.
- 1867-1925. MICROFILM PER 43, Reels 462-779
- Printed indexes to all the above are shelved in the Microform collection indexes area.
- MICROFILM PER 43 Indexes
Canada -- Bibliography
- Hardisty, P. Publications of the Canadian Parliament: a detailed guide to the dual-media edition of Canadian Parliamentary proceedings and sessional papers, 1841-1970.
- Reference 015.71 H264
Cape of Good Hope
The Cape of Good Hope (also called Cape Province) was ceded by the Dutch to Britain in 1814.
In 1910 the province became part of the Union of South Africa, and from 1961 of the Republic of South Africa.
Cape of Good Hope. Parliament. House debates.
- 1885-1909. [Lacks 1901] 328.68706 C23
Fiji was a British colony from 1874 until 11 October 1970 when it became an independent parliamentary democracy.
- Fiji. Legislative Council. Debates.
- 1907-1970. 328.961106 F477L
[1907-1969 on MICROFILM 6686-6711]
- Fiji. Legislative Council. Journal.
- 1885-1970. 328.961106 F477Lj
[1885-1969 on MICROFILM 17208-17267]
- Fiji. Parliament. Journal.
- 1970-1974. 328.961106 F477Pj
- Fiji. Parliament. House of Representatives. Debates.
- 1970+ 328.961106 F477PRp
- Fiji. Parliament. Senate. Debates.
- 1971+ 328.961106 F477PSp
- Journal officiel de l'État français: Lois et decrets.
- 4 janv.1941 - 24/25 août 1944.
- Journal officiel de l'Empire français.
- 1 janv.1869 - 4 sept.1870 MICROFILM PER 116
You can find the Comptes rendus des séances [Journal officiel, édition des débats] at L'Assemblée nationale comme si vous y étiez...
- Index to the Sessional papers of Hong Kong, 1879-1982, compiled by H. A. Rydings.
- Reference 328.5125 R992i
[Note: We have the index only, not the papers.]
The British East India Company established settlements in India throughout the 17th century. The British government took control of the Company in 1784.
The separate dominions of India and Pakistan became independent within the Commonwealth in 1947 and India became a Republic in 1950.
India. Parliament. House of the People. Lok Sabha Debates.
- 1957-1982. [imperfect] 328.5406 I391
- Japan. Kokkai. Shugiin. Shugiin koko: teikoku gikai. [House of Representatives Reports].
- November 1899-July 1987. MICROFILM PER 234
The smallest of the four provinces of the Republic of South Africa, Natal was annexed by the British in 1843. In 1910 it became a province of the Union of South Africa, and from 1961 of the Republic of South Africa.
Natal. Legislative Assembly. Debates. 1896-1910. [very imperfect]
- 328.68406 N27
Papua New Guinea
The first House of Assembly for the whole country, which consisted of an elected majority and ten nominated members, met in 1964.
After 1970 there was a gradual assumption of powers by the Papua New Guinea government, culminating in formal self-government in December 1973.
The final powers held by Australia were relinquished in March 1975, and Papua New Guinea achieved full independence on 16 September 1975.
Papua and New Guinea. Legislative Council. Debates.
- 1952-1963. [imperfect] 328.9506 P21L
- Papua and New Guinea. House of Assembly. Debates.
- 1964-1975. [imperfect] 328.9506 P21
- Papua and New Guinea. House of Assembly. Minutes of Proceedings.
- 1968-1973. 328.9506 P21m
- Papua New Guinea. National Parliament. Debates. 1975-
- 1979 (impf.) 328.9506 P218Nd
- Papua New Guinea. National Parliament. Draft Hansard.
- Dec. 1995-Oct. 1996 328.9506 P218Ndd
- Papua New Guinea. National Parliament. Minutes of Proceedings.
- Latest year only kept. 328.9506 P218Nm
- Papua New Guinea. National Parliament. Notice papers.
- 1996. 328.9506 P218Nn
- Papua New Guinea. National Parliament. Question papers.
- 1996. 328.9506 P218Nq
Singapore, where Sir Stamford Raffles had first established a trading post under the East India Company in 1819, was incorporated with Penang and Malacca to form the Straits Settlements in 1826, which became a Crown Colony in 1867.
In 1946 it became a separate colony; internal self-government and the title State of Singapore were introduced in 1959.
Singapore became a state of Malaysia in 1963 but left the Federation and became an independent sovereign state within the British Commonwealth in 1965.
Singapore. Parliament. Parliamentary debates.
- 1963+ 328.59506 S617
Singapore -- Bibliography
- Leong, Alice Select list of Singapore Parliamentary Papers.
- Reference 328.595 L583s
The self-governing colonies of the Cape of Good Hope, Natal, the Transvaal and the Orange River Colony became united in 1910 as the Union of South Africa.
In 1961 the Union withdrew from the British Commonwealth and became the Republic of South Africa.
South Africa. Parliament. House of Assembly. Debates.
- 1915-1963. [very imperfect] 328.6806 S72H
The Maritime Provinces of Ceylon were ceded by the Dutch to the British in 1798, becoming a British Crown Colony in 1802.
On 4 February 1948 Ceylon became a self-governing state and a member of the British Commonwealth.
A republican Constitution was adopted in 1972 when the country was renamed the Republic of Sri Lanka.
Ceylon. State Council. Debates.
- 1927-1930; 1933. 328.549306 C4255d
The Kingdom of Tonga was a British protected state until 4 June 1970, when it became an independent constitutional monarchy within the British Commonwealth.
Tonga. Legislative Assembly. Parliamentary bulletin (English summary translation).
- 1985+ 328.961205 T665
United States of America
The United States of America is a Federal Republic. Legislative power is vested in the Congress which comprises two Houses, the Senate and the House of Representatives.
U.S.A. Continental Congress. Journals.
- 1774-1789. 328.7306 U59
- Annals of Congress.
- 1789-1824. MICROFILM 975-984
- Register of Debates.
- 18th Congress, 2nd Session - 25th Congress, 1st Session.
1824-1837. MICROFILM 985 -990
- Congressional Globe.
- 23rd Congress - 42nd Congress. 1833-1873. MICROFILM 991 -1039
- 43rd - 94th Congress. 1874-1976. MICROFILM PER 59
- Congressional Record.
- 94th - 99th Congress. 1977-1986. MICROFICHE PER 230
- Confederate States of America. Congress. Journal.
- 1861-1865. 328.7306 C748
You can search the full text of the Federal Register, Congressional Record, Congressional Bills and other Federal government information on the Superintendent of Documents site at http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/
Congressional Quarterly Service. Congress and the nation, 1945-1964.
Reference 328.73 C749
Congressional Quarterly, Inc. Guide to the Congress of the United States: origins, history and procedure.
Reference 328.73 C7489