General Practice Resource Guide
Last update July 2011 by Mick Draper
- Australasian Cochrane Centre Evidence based medicine database infromation. Includes reviews
- Australian Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing Media releases, publications, and links to related sites Includes Population Health Division which promotes health in the population.
- Australian Medical Association
- DrsReference Site Free textbooks, journals, NH&MRC publications, govt publications, patient education materials, Australian practice management sites, medical supplies, Oz hospitals, locums, software and computing,
- Doctors Reform Society Includes articles on current issues.
- NHMRC - National Institute of Clinical Studies includes Evidence Uptake Guides Covers the gaps in evidence based practice in general practice in Australia
- Primary Health Care Research and Information Service (PHC) Australian general practice and primary health care research resources.
- PHC Focus on ... (formerly Journal Watch) Research for primary health care policy in Australia.
- Public Health Association of Australia Inc Policies, current issues, and Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Includes immunisation schedules and CME events
General Practice Sites
Patient Education Sites
Better Health Channel Health info from the Victorian govt
HealthInsite Australian Commonwealth Govt site on life styles, and medical conditions
MedlinePlus Patient access to the Medline database. Includes a topical list of more than 600 medical conditions, a medical dictionary and encyclopaedia
National Institutes of Health Health Information USA health information by body region, demographic group, procedures or common conditions
Bereavement and Palliative Care
GP Registrar Supervisors
Mental Health and General Practice
Uni of Adelaide Library Obesity Links. Includes tips on how to search Medline as well as Australian and other links. Compiled by Maureen Bell.
BSL Sources for Rural Health Students
Search for Current Information
- Uni of Adelaide Health Sciences information sources Most of these are restricted to Uni of Adelaide staff and students and "walk in" users.
- Instructions to Authors in the Health Sciences A long list of instructions pages for journals. In alphabetical order by journal title. From Raymon H. Mulford Library Medical College of Ohio.
- NLM Gateway The U.S. National Library of Medicine database for MEDLINE/PubMed, OLDMEDLINE, LOCATORplus, MEDLINEplus, DIRLINE, AIDS Meetings, Health Services Research Meetings, Space Life Sciences Meetings, and HSRProj (research projects in progress).
- POPLINE Citations with abstracts to world literature on population, family planning and related health issues. From Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs.
- MedlinePlus A consumer database that includes a list of more than 600 of medical topics to search, drug info, a medical distionary, and a medical encyclopaedia. From U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- NLM Gateway Provides simultaneous searching in MEDLINE/PubMed, OLDMEDLINE, LOCATORplus, AIDS Meetings, HSR Meetings, HSRProj, MEDLINEplus and DIRLINE
- PubMed A customised version for Uni of Adelaide community to search millions of health science and life science citations
- Uni of Adelaide basic PubMed tutorial Covers the main points of searching PubMed.
- Uni of Adelaide advanced PubMed tutorial Includes more detail and comes with dental examples
- PubMed Tutorial The official PubMed tutorial from U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Journal Title Abbreviations
Introduction to Evidence based practice With dental examples
PubMed searches of Discipline of General Practice research topics
Indigenous health (2nd year MBBS course 2010)
Help for second year students doing this option. Covers use of the Catalogue, Databases, and AusStats