Chemical dictionaries and encyclopaedias
These Web and printed chemical dictionaries and encyclopaedias are useful for definitions of chemical terms, explanations of processes and ideas, substance names, formulae and structures.
A few encyclopaedias have substantial treatments of chemical topics.
- Encyclopedia of chemical technology (Kirk-Othmer).
4th ed. Reference collection 660.03 E56.4 and online
- Ullmann's encyclopedia of industrial chemistry. 5th ed. 1984- English edition
Reference collection 660.03 U41.5 and online
- Macmillan encyclopedia of chemistry. Ed. J.J. Lagowski. Macmillan, 1997. 4 vols.
Reference collection 540.3 L177m
Chemical dictionaries are useful for definitions of terms, substance names or brief summaries:
- Chemical dictionaries and encyclopedias, Links for Chemists, Liverpool
- General chemistry glossary, Frostburg State University
- IUPAC compendium of chemical terminology, 2nd ed, 1997, A.D. McNaught.
- Chemindex, Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety - names and CAS registry numbers
- Chemical acronyms database, BioTech, Indiana University
- ChEBI: Chemical Entities of Biological Interest, EBI - small natural or synthetic compounds
- Chemical dictionary, Chemical Institute of Canada
- McGraw-Hill dictionary of chemistry
- Chemistry Dictionary: German-English and English-German, Chemie.de
- Elsevier's dictionary of chemistry, through NetLibrary
- For chemical dictionaries in the Library: see 540.3 and 660.03 in the Reference collection or search chemistry dictionaries in the Library catalogue.