Library services for University of Adelaide Alumni
A person who is registered with the Development and Alumni Office of the University of Adelaide may join the Library for an annual fee.
Registered electronic resource users login here.
- How do I apply?
- Library Card
- Borrowing books
Apply for borrowing privileges in person with photo ID (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, weekends credit card payment only at BSL) at:
- Service Enquiries, Barr Smith Library Level 3
- Loans desk, Waite Library
- Loans desk, Roseworthy Campus Library
Alumni members who join the Library will be issued with a Library Card. You will need to bring this Card with you when you use the Library.
If you lose your Library Card, report the loss immediately to Service Enquiries (telephone number 8313 5124). Any loans made with it before it is reported lost will be your responsibility.
Lost Library Cards may be replaced at a cost of $11.00 [includes GST].
Alumni may borrow fifty items, including two language kits and two three hour Reserve items at a time.
Books from the main collection may be borrowed for ten weeks and bound journals for one week.
An item on loan to you may be recalled if it is urgently required by another user. The loan period will be reduced to seven days and you will be notified of the new due date by email.
If an item is kept beyond the date of despatch of the first and final overdue notice requesting its return, an invoice will be sent for the cost of replacement of the item, plus a non-refundable handling charge of $30.00 per item.
You may renew the loan of a book using MyLibrary on or before the due date.
A standard loan may be renewed up to five times unless it is required by another user.
Online access to a large and growing selection of academic resources is available to University alumni at no charge. There are presently over 20,000 e-journals, magazines, newspapers, and over 12,000 e-books and reports available to Alumni through the University of Adelaide Library.
What is available?
Complete lists of the journal titles available through these resources appear below [not all titles listed are available to the University]:
- Academic Search Alumni* - covers 3000 journals in most areas of the sciences, social sciences and humanities.
- Business Source Alumni<* - covers 6200 journals and 1,700 ebooks in marketing, management, MIS, accounting, finance, econometrics, economics and more./em>
- Annual Reviews - review articles in many areas of academic enquiry.
- CSIRO Journals - important Australian research reports in agriculture, biological and health sciences
- Oxford English Dictionary - the most authoritative and complete dictionary of the English language
- Oxford Journals Online - 200 high quality research journals covering a broad range of subjects
- PressDisplay - Cover-to-cover presentation online of the print versions of over 1100 newspapers from around the world. Backfile is 30 days. All titles are browseable and searchable.
- Project MUSE - over 300 top humanities and social sciences journals from US university presses
- SourceOECD - includes everything published by the OECD (books, journals, series, working papers, databases) on subjects as diverse as general economy, statistics, agriculture, science, future studies and the environment.
- SpringerLINK - Springer is the second-largest journal publisher worldwide, with over 1200 journals and 3 million articles available.
- Taylor & Francis Journals - T&F are among the largest journal publishers in the world. Alumni can, for 2010-11, join current University staff and students in accessing over 1000 T&F journals.
[*Note that access to fulltext for some titles in Academic Search and Business Source is subject to publisher embargo. These titles and time periods are indicated on title lists for these resources.]
How do I register for access?
- Step 1: Review and agree to terms and conditions for access
- Step 2: The Library will e-mail you a username and password within three working days
- Step 3: Login here, once you have received your username and password, to access Library E-Resources for Alumni
If you have any questions regarding the registration process, please contact Service Enquiries on 08 8313 5124.
Alumni may use the majority of the Library's electronic resources, in person, through the public access terminals in the University of Adelaide Libraries. Remote access to electronic resources other than those listed above is not possible.
Additional licensed e-resources are available via the National Library of Australia.
Databases on offer include Art Abstracts, Applied Science and Technology Full Text, JSTOR, and Factiva.
Alumni members may make use of the University of Adelaide Library Document delivery service.
Last update: 28 February 2013 by Margaret Colmer