Henry Goronwy Alun Hughes,
Series III. Personal, family and local history papers
See also Records of the Glamorganshire Agricultural Society in Section V.
- Pacific correspondence 1976-2007. 8 cm [Originals and 7 microfiche]
- Correspondence with other researchers and colleagues, particularly Steven Roger Fischer (in separate folder) re Rongorongo Studies and Polynesian literary competition (with competition entries) and also Francix X. Hezel re the Micronesian Seminar, Dominique Pechberty, Stacey King of the Banaban Heritage Society, R.G. Roberts, etc., with journals regarding reviews, and with archives, libraries and booksellers.
- 1993 includes report on the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau. Ms and print copies
- Also condolence letter sent to the family on the death of R.G. Roberts (1918-1999) and a copy of Roberts’ death announcement. Print copies
- Curriculum vitae 1931-74. Typescript, 2 copies.
- CWB School Certificate Examination. 1937. Microfiche.
- CWB School Certificate Examination. 1938. Microfiche.
- Pontypridd French notes. 1937-38 [notes given to students preparing for HSC Examinations] Microfiche.
- CWB HSC Exam. 1939. Microfiche.
- Jesus, Oxford, Entrance Exam. 1939. Microfiche.
- Cervantes. 1945-46. [lecture notes taken by Hughes at Oxford] Microfiche.
- Oxford Spanish (Hons) Exam. 1946. [lecture notes taken by Hughes at Oxford] Microfiche.
- School practice notebook 1946-47. Microfiche.
- Understanding backwards: fragments of my life 1993 [2 copies – ms and typed].
- H.G.A. Hughes qualifications [copies of degrees and certificates] 1940-1965. Microfiche.
- [Newspaper cutting} ‘Librarian with command of 16 languages’ / Eleanor Bishop. The Leader (July 19, 1968) 2 copies.
- Proof of entry for H.A. Hughes for the ‘Dictionary of International Biography’. 34th ed. 2006?
Family history & photographs
- Sources for family history: Thomas Hughes 1848-1929. Microfiche.
- Sources for family history: William Hughes 1876-1961. Microfiche.
- Sources for family history: Robert Hughes and Sarah Hughes. Microfiche.
- Humphrey Hughes - papers and photographs 1943- [miscellaneous papers of H.G.A. Hughes’s father] Microfiche.
- Hughes family photographs (restored October 2006) [CD-ROM].
- Portrait of Dr Henry Goronwy Alan Gwenffrwd Hughes painted by Pauline Mary Harrison July 2007 [PDF images of portrait and postcard of portrait on CD-ROM, plus 3 print copies].
- Photograph of Dr H.G.A. Hughes (ScAS) 1953. 3 copies.
- Maesycoed: the road to Castellau 1993 [on Hughes' village in Pontypridd] Microfiche and typescript copies
- Cyfrifon Dosparth Y Gadlys, Aberdar 1863-6 [NB 2 microfiches covering two different periods] Accounts of Gadlys Welsh Baptist Chapel, Aberdar, Glamorgan. Hughes'maternal grandfather (Rev. Benjamin Evans "Telynfab", 1845-1900), father (Rev. Robert Gwenffrwd Hughes), and cousin (Rev. Rhydwen Williams) were all ministers of this chapel].
- Photograph of Rev Robert Gwenffrwd Hughes. Photocopy
- ‘Yr eglwys Gristionogol / Benjamin Evans (Telynfab) 1890’. Edited by H.G.A. Hughes. 2006 [In Welsh] Typescript including photocopy of original 1890 publication Also copy on CD-ROM.
- ‘Dyledswydd Rhieni Anghydffurfiol / Benjamin Evans (Telynfab) 1890’. Edited by H.G.A. Hughes. 2006 [In Welsh] Typescript including photocopy of original 1890 publication [Benjamin Evans was Hughes maternal grandfather].
- Hen Ford Fach Gron fy Mam = Mother’s Old Round Table [music] music by Jonah John, Welsh words by Telynfab, English words by D.H. Lewys. Swansea, c1917. Photocopy.
- Rev. Benjamin Evans (Telynfab) 1845-1900 of Gadlys, Aberdâr and descendants. CD-Rom [photographs of the Evans / Hughes / Ward family supplied by Shirley Ward 2007].
- Burial of the “Bishop” [description of the funeral service for Benjamin Evans, Gadlys, from ‘The Aberdare Times’, 1 Sept. 1900] Printout.
- [Obituary] Rev P.A. Hughes 1912-1976 / P.W.R. Summerson. Typescript.
- Print of Ludlow Castle (1904) done by Ethel Hughes (nee Evans) [29/12/1888-20/8/1953] at the age of 16. With brief biography. OVERSIZE.
[Sources for a biography/history of John Davies 1772-1855, Methodist missionary in Tahiti and author of a Tahitian dictionary and translator of ‘The Pilgrim’s Progress’ into Tahitian. He was the lifelong friend of John Hughes and Hughes edited Davies letters]
- draft of biographies of Davies and John Hughes by H.G.A. Hughes. Photocopies.
- copies of Davies correspondence (also OVERSIZE). Photocopies.
- ms notes by Hughes from source materials.
- Draft text for a proposed work on the Tahitian Bible by H.G.A. Hughes (typescript and ms).
- Photocopied biographical texts on John Davies, Elizabeth Davis, John Hughes, Ann Griffiths, Thomas Griffiths etc (mostly in Welsh).
- Photocopies/ extracts from:
- Davies, John. The history of the Tahitian mission, 1799-1830. Cambridge: Published for the Hakluyt Society at the University Press, 1961. Introduction and epilogue. Photocopy.
- ‘Te Evanelia a Ioane …’ Tahiti, 1821 [transl. by John Davies] Photocopy.
- Davies, John. The Journal of the Missionaries, from ‘The Journal of William Lockerby, sandalwood trader in the Fijian Islands …’ (London, 1925), p. 119-160. Photocopy.
- Pearse, A. Tahiti of Today, Monthly Notes’ (Feb. 1885), p. 48-53. Photocopy.
- Georgian Islands,’ London Missionary Society Annual Report 1885’ p. 145-6. Photocopy.
- Preiss, G. The Church in Tahiti, ‘International Review of Missions’ vol. 46 (Oct. 1956), p. 401-409. Photocopy.
- And various extracts in Welsh. Photocopies.
Personal writings, bibliographies etc
- The tools are on the bar 1994 [personal history essay entered for the British Library National Life Story Award] Microfiche and typescript copies.
- Pencoed farm, Capel Llaniltern, Glamorgan etc [notes and extracts from official records re farms in Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire occupied by or associated with the James family in the 19th and 20th centuries] Microfiche.
- Borough of Flint Public Libraries 1966-1971 [copies of articles on the construction and development of the Library, H.G.A. Hughes' appointment as Librarian 1966 (erroneously named as Henry Goronwy Alun Williams), (a further article from the Flintshire Leader July 1968) and subsequent events and activities] Microfiche.
- The Flintshire and Denbighshire Yeomanry (Territorials): Civic ceremony and historical exhibition September 21, 1967 [notes for exhibition at Flint Public Libraries Central Library] Microfiche.
- Fifty years on: memories of Pontypridd Intermediate Boys' School, Pontypridd, Glamorgan 1932-1939. 1991. Typescript.
- General Election, 1945. North Berkshire. Microfiche and typescript copies. Also copy of extract from Hughes' autobiographical account of the campaign, published in Greensocs no. 8 1998 (photocopy).
- Colwyn Bay Technical College. 1961-62 [printed Prospectus] Microfiche.
- [Radio Offa] Memorandum of articles of association of Radio Offa, 1971 and Application for the contract for local independent radio at Wrexham, Deeside, 1980 [Hughes was one of the Directors, and Company Secretary] Microfiche.
- Dyffryn Lets [Local exchange trading systems: members literature] 1994- 1996. Microfiche.
- Institute of Polynesian Languages and Literature: deed of trust. 1995. Microfiche.
- Notes for D.L. Wales National Consultative Meeting, Cardiff 22 November 1997 Typescript.
- List of publications 1948-49. Typescript.
- Bibliography 1994 [bibliography of Hughes' published writings from 1939-1994, arranged chronologically. Draft edition] Microfiche.
- Bibliography 2. (Manuscripts) Microfiche.
- Bibliography 2 (December 1994) [supplementary list of articles/reviews by Hughes 1951-94, with appendices] Microfiche and typescript copy.
- Hughes Papers - Papers kept in the Archives of the School of Oriental and African Studies, London. Comprise various manuscript notes and published books and articles, including some by others. No contents list or index and apparently in random order. Some items difficult to read. Microfiche.
- Hughes Papers (Adelaide) [listing of papers deposited with the University of Adelaide, as at November 1995. Microfiche.
- Books of Pacific Interest: Invoices c1988-95. Microfiche.
- Copyright/Legal deposit receipts. (Great Britain) Microfiche.
- Deposit receipts (Foreign) Microfiche.
- Deposit receipts (Great Britain) Microfiche.
- Deposit receipts (Glamorgan Archive Service) Microfiche.
- Deposit receipts (National Library of Wales) Microfiche.
- Deposit receipts (Flintshire/Clwyd Record Office) Microfiche.
- Sundry book receipts. Print copies.
- Resolution for Senedd ’04, Mechynlleth 15/9/2007, proposed by HGA Hughes. Print and ms copies.
- Goronwy (HGA) Hughes papers [listing of papers in the National Library of Wales 1937-2002] (incorrectly titled Gwenffrwd Hughes papers) Print copy.
Brenda Hughes (nee Stenning)was the daughter of HJ Stenning, noted translator of many books on Marxist philosophy. An author and journalist, Brenda was HGA Hughes’ second wife. She also wrote under the names Judy Martin, Brenda Stenning, Brenda Cross, Brenda Hughes and Brenda Colloms producing school stories, film diaries, film criticism, New Guinea, missionary stories, biography of Charles Kingsley, Chilean folk stories etc. Hughes ‘provided Brenda with most of the research material on which the thesis … and the two children’s books are based’ (from biographical note provided by HGA Hughes)
- Biographical note by HGA Hughes. Ms copy.
- Hughes, Brenda. The geographical exploration of Papua, 1870-1900. (Thesis - M.A. Liverpool 1959) Print and m/fiche copies.
- Hughes, Brenda. [Sketch maps of Papua & New Guinea … to illustrate her Liverpool University MA thesis …] 1959. Paper copy.
- Hughes, Brenda.’ King among the Cannibals: the story of John Chalmers’. London, 1959. Print copy.
- Hughes, Brenda. ‘New Guinea Folk-tales’. London, 1959. Print copy.