The Maths Learning Centre Drop-In Room
The MLC drop-in room is a relaxed place where you can come to talk with friendly tutors about learning and using maths for your coursework.
It is available for all students, regardless of the course you are studying. We exist for students studying courses that are part of a University of Adelaide degree/diploma program, especially if you are needing or using maths for the first time.
You don't need an appointment, just drop in!
We aim to help you develop...
- the confidence and skills to learn new maths concepts on your own
- the confidence and skills to solve new maths problems on your own
- the confidence and skills to communicate maths clearly on your own
- the appropriate maths background knowledge for your Uni study.
|Normal Opening Hours||10.00 am - 4.00 pm, Monday - Friday
during Semester 1 and 2 teaching weeks, swot vacs and exam weeks
|No appointments are required at these times for discussion about ordinary coursework.|
|Mid-Semester Break Semester 1 Hours||
|Mid Year Break Hours||
- Will the Maths Learning Centre be able to help me?
Maths related to an undergraduate course:
All our staff are skilled at helping students learn and use maths on their own. We can help you find the key concepts you need to know in order to solve a problem, interpret what your course materials say, and identify any gaps in your assumed knowledge. We are particularly experienced in the concepts in first-year level courses, but can still help in the above ways for courses we are unfamiliar with. However, we will help first-year students before later-year students. Finally, we can also provide useful handouts, offer general advice on study skills, or give you fun activities to try if you are bored.
So the short answer is: "Try us out!"
Statistics relating to a research project:
We are happy to discuss your statistics, but we prefer you email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment first, since this is often a complex discussion. Also, it is important to note that we are not professional statisticians, so it can happen that we may not know the correct statistical procedures you need to use, and even if we do we can only give you general advice. We also cannot analyse your data for you. Finally, we recommend if you do make an appointment to talk to us, that you bring your research supervisor with you. We find that this helps all of us have the best possible outcome.
If you are a 3rd Year Med student wanting to talk about your research proposal, then we have a special appointment system for MBBS III students.
- What resources are available in the Drop-In room?
We have all of the following resources to help you learn:
- The recommended textbooks for many of the mathematics and statistics courses taught at the university.
- Revision worksheets about various assumed knowledge topics, and useful reference sheets.
- Computers with common mathematics and statistics programs (eg: Excel, SPSS, RStudio, MATLAB).
- Free (but not necessarily good) tea and coffee.
- Games and puzzles.
- What should I bring with me?
We are not directly involved with your courses, so please bring along anything you can which will help us understand what you are being taught (eg. lecture notes, printed handouts, textbooks).
- How long can I stay?
As long as you need to. You may work on your own or with friends, or make some new friends.