Special Procedures For Operating PC2 lab MLS 4.53
Lab 4.53 has no hand-washing facilities and the following procedures are to compensate for this.
All procedures from the School PC2 – Laboratories operation manual apply plus:
- All transgenic material will be in approved, small volume (less than 25mls), sealed containers at all times. Currently approved containers are:
a) “Wet mount” microscope slides with the cover slip edges sealed.
b) Tissue culture flasks and chambers with sealing caps.
- The exterior of the sealed containers will be disinfected, if possible, before transportation to Lab 4.53.
- Operators will wear gloves when handling the transgenic containers and remove the gloves when using any equipment. The “one glove” procedure is recommended.
- In the event of the breakage of a container and, therefore, a spill the procedure listed below will be followed.
- A spill-kit as detailed below will be held in Lab 4.53.
- Move away from the area and allow a few minutes for any aerosol to settle.
- Put on gloves.
- Remove any contaminated protective clothing and place in an autoclaving bag for sterilisation.
- Select a disinfectant from the spill kit, that is suitable both for transgenic material and the surfaces contaminated by the spill.
- Apply the disinfectant in an appropriate manner:
a) Dabbing or wiping with a disinfectant soaked cloth
b) Pouring on the spill (take care not to induce an aerosol)
- Allow sufficient time for the disinfectant to destroy the organism.
- If the spill is of any volume (more than 25mls) use absorbant granules to soak up the liquid.
- Dry the affected area.
- Dispose of all cloths and gloves in the infected material bags and dispose of as per the normal PC procedures.
- Disinfect your hands using the spray can in the spill kit (follow the instructions on the can).
Spill Kit Contents for PC2 Lab Room 4.53 MLS Building
Disinfectant: 70% w/w Ethanol
Disinfectant: synthetic phenolic
Hand Disinfection Spray-Can