Contractor Management at MBS
At various times, contractors come to the School to conduct tasks such as plant maintenance, electrical testing etc. This information is designed to provide staff and temporary contractors with the information relating to the School's procedure for the management of contractors.
The term "temporary contractor" refers to any contractor that is engaged directly by the School of Molecular & Biomedical Science and not through Property Services.
Responsibilities of the School
- If a contractor is going to be on the School grounds for more than a full 8 hour day, they must undergo the School's induction program. Contact the HSO for further information on Contractor Induction.
Responsibilities of Temporary Contractors
- Contractors MUST NOT enter any LOCKED laboratory without authorisation from the room's occupier or an escort.
- Contractors MUST NOT enter any laboratory that conducts radiation work without authorisation from the room's occupier.
- All contractors on their arrival, must report to reception and sign in the Visitor's book and be given a Visitor's badge and the Visitor/Contractor Information Pamphlet to read before commencing their work.
- On leaving, all contractors must return to reception and sign out of the Visitor's book and return the Visitor's badge.
- Contractors are not to enter the ZebraFish Facility.
Contractors must notify their primary contact person when they have arrived.
Level of Contractor
Short Term Contractors
Short term contractors are those that will only be on the School's premises for a short period of time. This includes contractors such as photocopier maintenance persons, equipment maintenance persons etc.
Short term contractors are required to sign in on their entry to the building and are to be given the Safety Visitor/Contractor Information pamplet on their initial visit.
Medium Term Contractors
Medium term contractors are those that are engaged by the School and will be on the premises for more than an 8 hours shift.
These contractors are required to undertake the School's induction program for contractors. They must sign in and out at the building's reception desk each day they are required to be onsite and will also be given the Visitor/Contractor Information pamphlet on their initial visit.
Property Services Engaged Contractors
This group of contractors are those that are engaged directly by Property Services and not by the School. For example, Spotless are engaged by the University to perform maintenance services in the MBS buildings. They are not required to undertake the School's Induction program.
Access to G41 (Outside Annexe)
The annexe on the east end of the MLS building is accessed via swipe card only. At times, it may be necessary for contractors to enter this area.
At no time should the swipe card access be disabled. 2 x Contractor Swipe Cards with access to the annexe are held by MLS reception and can be booked out on a daily basis (but must be returned by 5pm that day.
Should a contractor require access, the project manager must contact MBS reception to organise a swipe card and provide the Safety Officer and/or the Infrastructure Manager information on the reason for entry.
Kate Dixon: 29th July 2009
Feedback on the MBS HSW Web or its contents may be e-emailed to the MBS HSO.