The centre offers a broad range of the most technologically advanced instrumentation and scientific support services. These services are available to the students and staff of the University of Adelaide as well as the greater community of government departments, private businesses and industry.
Adelaide Microscopy can assist with micro and nano-imaging and data collection for a diverse range of applications - ranging from geological, chemical, biological, physical, materials, medical, dental and environmental, with clients from all scientific and engineering disciplines.
- Physical metallurgy, engineered materials and welds
- Failure analysis
- Dental restorative materials and amalgams, including reactions with mercury
- Ion implantation of materials
- Polymer science
- Analysis of thin film multi-layers
- Petroleum geology and core sampling
- Mineralogical characterization
- Igneous petrology
- Particle characterisation from smoke stack emissions
- Microfossil identification and characterization
- Immuno electron microscopy
- Ultramicrotomy applied to biological and physical materials
- Freeze-substitution, low temperature embedding
- SEM preparation using critical point drying
- High resolution rotary shadowing and negative staining of macromolecules, viruses and bacteria
- Development of specific protocols for the preparation of plant and animal tissue
- Live cell imaging
- Nano imaging of cell ultrastructures
- Laser microdissection for PCR, RT-PCR and Proteomics etc.