Adaptive Release - Create Multiple Rules for a Content Item
Adaptive release allows instructors and course designers to release course content based on rules that they create; in other words, you can control what content is made available to which students and under what conditions they are allowed to see it. Rules can be created for individuals or groups, based on criteria related to date, time, assessment scores or attempts, and the review status of other items in the course.
By the time you finish this tutorial you should be able to
1. Create Multiple Rules
2. Set Criteria
2. Use an items contextual menu to access Adaptive Release. To do this select the Double Down Arrow positioned next to the item title.
- Adaptive Release – used to create basic rules for an item. In this tool only one rule per item may be created.
For instance, instructors can create one rule containing multiple criteria which makes users satisfy all restriction before gaining access to the item.
- Adaptive Release: Advanced – this feature allows instructors to create multiple rules per item. For example, if different rules apply for different Groups in a course this feature should be used.
When an item has multiple rules applied to it users need to satisfy the criteria of only one rule to gain access.
3. For the purpose of this tutorial we will use Adaptive Release: Advanced to create a rule with multiple criteria and multiple rules.
6. A success message appears at the top of the screen. Now Select Create Criteria. You can create criteria according to Date, Grade, Membership and Review Status. For content to be visible to a user the user must satisfy all the criteria in a rule.
7. Membership Criteria allows content to be displayed to specific users and Groups. Use the Username field to enter individual users and the Course-Groups field to select Available Course Groups.
All Groups can be selected, even those that are unavailable. To Select one or more course groups highlight the Group Name and select the Right Arrow.
8. Now add another criterion. Adding criteria to the rule will narrow the ability of users to view the content item. Select Create Criteria > Date.
10. When multiple criteria are added to a rule. The word AND appears between each criteria. This means that all of the rules criteria must be met before the item is released.
11. Now Create a New Rule. In creating a new rule a different option or path for releasing the content will be available. The content will be released if any one of the rules is satisfied.
14. Content items can be released based on an attempt (A) or score (B).
For example, an Instructor may prepare a pre-test for Students to prepare for the Final Exam. A Student cannot take the Final Exam until the pre-test has been attempted, regardless of the grade. Instructors can also restrict access to an item until a certain score or score range is reached on a test or quiz.
15. Select a Grade Center column, Set a condition and Submit.
16. On the Adaptive Release: Advanced page you can see that when multiple rules are added the word OR appears between each rule. This means that one of the rules must be satisfied for the item to be released.