Voluntary Flexible Work Arrangement: Compressed Weeks Procedure
Related Policy: Workforce Management Policy
Scope and Application
Detail the general conditions, eligibility and application process for a voluntary flexible work arrangement - compressed weeks.
This procedure applies to all staff (excluding casual staff).
1. Eligibility and Conditions: Enterprise Agreement Information (as amended or replaced)
2. Application Process: Enterprise Agreement Information (as amended or replaced)
Application Process: Fair Work Act 2009 Information
In line with the Fair Work Act 2009 (National Employment Standards), an eligible staff member who requests a change in working arrangements to assist them to care for a child who:
a) is under school age; or
b) is under 18 and has a disability
must receive a written response to their application within 21 days stating whether the employer grants or refuses their request.
Such applications may only be refused on reasonable business grounds. The following factors may be relevant when determining what constitutes reasonable business grounds for refusing a request for a flexible work arrangement:
* the effect on the work area and the University's operations of approving the request, including the financial impact of doing so and the impact on efficiency, productivity and customer service;
* the inability to organise work among existing staff; and
* the inability to recruit a replacement staff member or the practicality or otherwise of the arrangements that may need to be put in place to accommodate the staff member's request.
If an application is refused, the staff member must be provided with the reasons for the refusal in writing by the appropriate supervisor in accordance with the Vice-Chancellor and President's Delegations of Authority.
3. Terminating a Flexible Work Arrangement: Enterprise Agreement Information (as amended or replaced)
If you require assistance in understanding any aspect of this document, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre, extension: 31111 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This document is a component of Workforce Management Policy
Policy Control Information
|RMO File No.||2011/1433|
|Policy custodian||Vice-President (Services & Resources)|
|Responsible policy officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Approved by||Vice-Chancellor and President|
|Related Policies||Recruitment Policy
Remuneration and Employment Benefits Policy
Behaviour and Conduct Policy
Performance Development and Promotion Policy
Health Safety and Wellbeing Policy
Leaving Policy the University Policy
|Related legislation||Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (SA)
Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth)
Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)
|Superceded Policies||Flexible Work Arrangements Guidelines
Reduced Hours for the Care of Children Guidelines
Notification of Absence Policy
Long Term Sickness, Temporary Incapacity & Disablement Leave Guidelines
Leave Report Guidelines
|Effective from||25 September 2012|
|Review Date||30 September 2015|
|Contact for queries about the policy||Human Resources Service Centre - ext. 31111|
Hardcopies of this document are considered uncontrolled. Please refer to the University Policy and Procedures website for the latest version.