The series consists of bound official, signed minutes and annual reports. The Board of Adult Education was established in 1958 to replace the Joint Committee for Tutorial Classes which had been formed in 1914 to work with the Workers Educational Association. The Department of Adult Education was established at the same time as the Board, at which point the adult education programme consisted of tutorial classes in Adelaide, extension lectures in country centres, a residential summer school and a library service. A detailed history of adult education in South Australia until 1958 can be found in volume one of the minutes. In 1978, the Board was renamed the Board of Continuing Education. In 1983, a review resulted in its renaming as the Committee of Continuing Education which subsequently disestablished in 1986 when the Office of Continuing Education moved into the Registry.