ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY: Position of Registrar established by Council 11 Dec. 1874 on motion James Hay. First appointment William Barlow, B.A. as Registrar and Librarian at a part-time salary of 250 (pounds). Statute covering duties of Registrar adopted by Council 12 Feb. 1875. Librarian and an Accountant/Chief Clerk appointed 1900 as part of the Registrar's Department. Gradual expansion of Department to meet demands as student and staff numbers, income and expenditure and complexity of administration increased. Post-war growth and new element introduced by the Universities through it led to further increases in and specialisation od staff and the establishment of separate Academic and Finance branches and a Public Examinations unit from 1951. This increasing separation of functions was formalised in the decision adopted by Council 30 October 1964 at the suggestion of the Registrar and upon the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor and the Finance Committee to institute a tripartite system of administration. Financial matters were to be transferred to the Bursar and responsibility for student matters and for servicing of committees and boards dealing with education and student matters was transferred to the Academic Registrar under the new scheme. The new administrative structure came into effect from 1 March 1965 and was reflected in the adoption23 Jan.1975 of a new Statute "Of Senior Administrative Staff" to replace that of 1900 regulating the Registrar's duties and responsabilities.