Agency Controlling: A6 Council
A1 Registrar's Dept. 1874-1965
A3 Registrar's Office 1982-
ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY: Established from 1 March 1965 following a decision adopted by Council on October 30, 1964 to institute a tripartite system of senior administration comprising Registrar, Academic Registrar, and Bursar to replace the Registrar's Department.
Under the new scheme the Academic Registrar's Office assumed responsibility for the administrative work in connection with Education Committee, Matriculation Board, Faculties and their Sub- and Ad Hoc committees. It also had responsibility for admissions, enrolments, examinations, graduation, student records and information services.
The Academic Registrar also became Clerk of the Senate, the Returning Officer for Council elections and the Council delegate for parking. H.E. Wesley Smith, then Assistant Registrar (Academic) was appointed the first Academic Registrar in 1965.
In effect, because of the seniority of the existing Registrar, the Registrar's Office continued to act as the senior administrative unit. Following the recommendations of the Committee for the Review of Administrative Structures in March 1972, an equal status was assumed by the three offices and a new statute "of Senior Administrative Staff" was adopted on January 23, 1975 to replace that of 1900 "of the Registrar".
No other major changes were effected, in spite of the further recommendations of the 1971 committee and subsequent reviews, until adoption by the Council on May 9, 1980 of the Report of the Committee of Administrative Review (the Corbett Report). Upon the recommendation of this Committee, the tripartite system of administration was abolished from December 1981 and the responsibilities of the Registrar were divided functionally between the Bursar and the Academic Registrar, the latter assuming the title of Registrar in accordance with accustomed usage.