Agency Controlling: A6 Council
( All except A6 Council and A13 Senate)
The Office of Vice-Chancellor was established by the Act of Incorporation No.20 of 1874 section 2. The Vice-Chancellor was to be elected by Council and at the first Council meeting of 11 December 1874 the Right Reverend Augustus Short, Lord Bishop of Adelaide, was elected as the first Vice-Chancellor. The terms of office of the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor were fixed by statute (allowed November 1881), ( amended as regards the Chancellor in 1912 and with refernece to the terms of office of the Vice-Chancellor in 1942) but it was not until January 1975, under the new University of Adelaide Act No. 41 of 1971, that the functions of the Vice-Chancellor as the Chief Executive Officer of the University were formallyprescribed by Statute. Until 1948 the position was honorary: A.P. Rowe was appointed the first full time salaried Vice-Chancellor in September 1947 (taking up duties in May 1948) at a salary of 2,000 pounds plus250 pounds expense allowance.