Agency Controlling: A6 Council
Administartive History: The Elder Conservatorium was established in 1898 following a bequest of 65,000 pounds to the University of Adelaide on the death of Sir Thomas Elder, 20,000 pounds of which was to the School of Music. The foundation of the building was laid on 26 September 1898 and the Conservatorium was formally opened on 26 September 1900.
The Professor of Music, Joshua Ives was appointed Director of the Conservatorium and the first staff were contracted from the Adelaide College of Music, most of the students also transferring from the College to the Conservatorium.
The Conservatorium was open to both professional and amateur students who could enrol for either a formal diploma ( the Diploma of Associate in Music) or for single subjects. All candidates for admission were required to pass an entrance examination and were graded as of Junior, Intermediate and Senior level.
Upon Ives' refusal to continue as Director of the Conservatorium in 1900 an acting-Director was appointed, but the successor to Ives was appointed (1901) as Professor of Music and Director of the Conservatorium and this joint responsibility was retained until 1977.
In 1905 a Faculty of Music (Committee) was established in addition to the Board of Musical Studies, the Faculty to deal with the whole of business in connection with the Chair of Music and the public examinations, leaving the Conservatorium work for the Board of Musical Studies to deal with. From 1914 the Board was incorporated with the Faculty although the Statute establishing the Board (Chapt. X1) was not repealed until 1919.