The teaching of economics in the University begins in 1901, offered as a core subject in a BA degree by Professor William Mitchell. In 1902 the Advanced Certificate in Commerce is introduced. In 1904 The Department of History and Commerce is formed, within the Faculty of Arts. 1917, Herbert Heaton is appointed the first full time lecturer in economics. 1929 Leslie Melville is appointed the first full time Professor of Economics. In 1930 the B.Ec degree is introduced followed in 1938 by the Masters of Economics degree. In 1946 a new Department of Economics is formed within the Faculty of Arts by splitting the Department of History and Economics. In 1952 the Faculty of Economics is formed comprising the Department of Economics and a new Department of Commerce. 1989 The Faculty of Economics becomes the Faculty of Economics and Commerce. In 1996 the Departments of Economics and Commerce are re-named Schools. In 1997 the Faculty of economics and Commerce is absorbed into a larger Faculty of Performing Arts, Law, Architecture, Commerce and Economics (PALACE). In 2001 PALACE is restructure and renamed faculty of the Professions. The School of Economics is know housed within the Faculty of Professions.The School of Commerce was merged with the Adelaide Graduate School of Business to become the University of Adelaide Buisness School on the 1st January 2008.