The University of Adelaide has been the leader in tertiary education in South Australia since it commenced teaching in 1876.
Over ensuing years, it has been affiliated with a number of other educational institutions with the aim of offering South Australians world class education opportunities and to provide the state with the skills required to achieve industrial progress and economic growth.
Names such as the Waite Agricultural Research Institute (or ‘the Waite’) and Elder Conservatorium (or ‘the Con’) are sometimes interpreted as being independent organisations. However, they have both been integral parts of the University since their inception, and remain so today.
Through benefaction and amalgamation the University has acquired additional campus locations at Waite and Roseworthy. This allowed the University to extend its academic programs into the areas of agriculture, food, wine and, more recently, veterinary science.