Research Strategic Plan
The University's Research Strategic Plan, Adelaide Research for Impact, is intended to ensure our position as an internationally eminent, research-intensive university that generates local, national and global impact.
The University faces new and ongoing challenges with:
- high rates of change and uncertainty in the higher education sector
- a heightening imperative to address state and national priorities, as well as complex global problems
- the need to transform university-industry engagement and innovation in support of economic and social well-being
- accelerating trends of digital disruption, technological transformation, globalisation, urbanisation, and demographic and climate change.
Adelaide Research for Impact reflects on these challenges, updates our strategic objectives and identifies key initiatives to prepare us better for the future and the opportunities ahead.
- Adelaide Excellence
Research excellence – delivering world-class research in our selected endeavours
- Build key strengths to achieve scale and focus in selected endeavours
- Invest in new research fields with high potential and relevance
- Address global challenges and national priorities with interdisciplinary teams
- Attract and retain the finest researchers and research students
- Develop a more robust and diverse external research funding base
- Establish the University of Adelaide Fellowships Scheme to attract and retain top talent, and fasttrack research career development.
- Stimulate interdisciplinary research to enhance discovery and innovation through a new deliberative approach.
- Develop and recruit additional highly-cited researchers.
- Expand our PhD programs, including more industrylinked scholarships and placements, and new professional doctorates focussed on innovation.
- Create a Research Institute in an area of compelling strategic importance.
- Adelaide Innovation
Industry engagement and innovation - translating research for economic and social benefit
- Foster a culture that values and encourages research translation by staff and students
- Better catalyse innovation to increase generation and translation of ideas by staff and students
- Lift end-user utilisation and commercial exploitation of our research for greater impact
- Enhance partnerships with industry, entrepreneurs, governments and the broader community
- I ncrease leverage of our research into high-value commercial or social outcomes
- Equip research students as 'industry confident' for a wide range of career options
- Extend entrepreneurship skills across the wider University and community by leveraging the strengths of the Entrepreneurship Commercialisation & Innovation Centre (ECIC).
- Enhance translation of research with the inception of in-house entities University of Adelaide Enterprise and Research Business and Partnerships.
- Establish a University Innovation Hub, connecting University-wide research and business development units, ECIC, the ThincLab Business Incubator and University of Adelaide Enterprise.
- Collaborate with peak industry bodies to map our research capabilities to Australian industry expertise and commercial interests, and develop opportunities.
- Convene a regular Future Trends forum with leaders from universities, government and industry, exploring technological and societal developments and disruptions.
- Adelaide Global
Global partnering - engagement for improved research impact and translation
- Enhance the scale and scope of research collaborations with selected global leaders
- Optimise the governance of our global partnerships for improved outcomes
- Leverage our international industry and government networks for local industry
- Provide international research opportunities and experience for our leading researchers
- Extend the capability and capacity of our researchers through targeted global engagement
- Establish up to five new, multilateral international partnerships that bring together researchers, business and government with our international priority partners.
- Strengthen university wide governance and support mechanisms for development and management of our major global research partnerships for greatest impact.
- Adelaide Enabled
High-performance culture and capacity - supporting our people with operational excellence
- Ensure a pervasive culture of world-class research excellence, innovation and leadership
- Align recruitment, career development and succession planning with research priorities
- Achieve best practice gender equity and diversity in our research workforce
- Meet the highest standards of integrity, ethics and compliance in research and training
- Provide researchers with top quality support, infrastructure and services
- Improve support for researchers via enhanced systems, services and infrastructure, including provision of strengthened high-performance computing and e-research facilities.
- Identify additional ways to support female researchers, in line with the objectives of the 'Science in Australia and Gender Equity' scheme, and seek recognition under the Athena SWAN Charter.