News & Events
For detailed events and news, visit www.theblacks.com.au
2012 Australian University Games (AUG)
Compassionately known as "Uni Games", this is a not be missed sporting event for any student! Adelaide University Sport is proud to announce that Adelaide will host the 2012 Games. The event will showcase some of the state's best sporting venues and provise students with an unforgettable social program to complement sporting schedules.
The AUG's have grown to be Australia's largest annual multi-sport event. The Games are renowned for providing a friendly but competitive environment for Australian university athletes and is the flagship event on the national university sporting calendar.
The Games are recognised as a perfect opportunity to provide university athletes of all abilities, Olympic standard included, to compete against each other in a national multi-sport event. As such, the Games have built up a reputation as a not-to-be-missed event, attracting over 6,000 participants each year.
Off the sporting field, an action-packed, week-long social program is conducted to complement the sporting activities and enhance the event experience for participants.
The 2012 Australian University Games will be held from 23 - 28 September with 30 sports contested. Participants will compete in: Athletics, AFL, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Cycling, Fencing, Golf, Handball, Hockey, Judo, Kendo, Lawn Bowls, Netball, Rugby Union 7s, Rowing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Tenpin Bowling, Touch, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball and Water Polo.
Sports O'Week 2012
The Cloisters car park will come alive from 20 - 22 February with over 30 sporting clubs on display! There will be ergo competitions car park circuits, Coopers giveaways and your chance to test your speed against the radar speed gun.
Make sure you also head to the Barr Smith Lawns at 11am each day to see some of our clubs parade their talents. The Cheerleading/Gymnastics club will be flying high, while our martial art clubs will show us just how tough they are! You can even have a go against the Rugby boys in a scrum before learning the basics of Volleyball.
Sports on the Lawns (28 February and 17 April)
Free activites and music on the lawns for all students. Activites include Frisbee, Bocce, Totem Tennis, Table Tennis, Giant Jenga and Badminton.
Sports on the Green (22 March)
A free Soccer and Volleyball event on the University fields directed at integrating international and domestic students. Music, food and competitions!
Central University Games (9 - 10 July)
The regional/qualification event for AUGs, held right here in Adelaide. The five sports being contested are Basketball, Touch, Soccer, Netball and Hockey. Qualification sports are up for grabs in Basketball (men and women), Touch (men and women), Soccer (men), Netball (women and mixed) and Hockey (women). All other catergories have already pre-qualified for AUGs.
SA Challenge (11 - 13 July)
A mini "uni games" between the three South Australian Universities. This event is all about participation and fighting it out against our rivals, Flinder and UniSA. We have won the trophy for the last two years, so join us as we battle it out again in 2012!
Inter-Faculty Active Recreation (IFAR) Week (4 - 7 September)
Free activites held on the lawns, with music, food and games for all.
The Vice Chancellor's Cup (7 September)
Held at the end of IFAR Week, the VC Cup is a running race around the University grounds between the 5 University Faculties and a University Services and Resources team. The prestigious trophy was won by Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences in 2011.
Australian University Championships
Compete against other Australian University students in Orienteering, Surfing, Snow Sports, Distance Running, Triathlon, Rowing and/or Twenty20 Cricket. These events are held at different times throughout the year.
Held throughout the year on and off campus. Make contact with the club you are interested in for more information.
The University of Adelaide along with Adelaide University Sport offers six scholarships each year. The scholarships are for $2000 (Sports Association Scholarship $2500) and are payable mid-year to assist with the payment of compulsory fees, textbooks and sporting equipment. The scholarships may be renewed for two subsequent years. Applicant forms can be found under 'Forms' at www.theblacks.com.au
- The Mr Bill Scammell Scholarship (one), named after a former Chancellor of the University of Adelaide and supporter of the AUS. This scholarship is awarded to a student who has contributed overall to his or her sporting club both competitively and through support of the club.
- The Don Stranks Scholarships* (one for cricket and one for football), dedicated to the late Professor Don Stranks, former Vice-Chancellor of the University and Vice-President of AUS, who was a keen supporter of the Football and Cricket Clubs.
- The Bob Heddle Sports Scholarship (two in total), in recognition of the many years of service and support given by Bob who was Director of the University Health Service from 1964-1982. During that time Bob was a member of the University Council and the University Council Representative on the AUS Council and Management Committees. These scholarships are awarded on merit to unspecified sports by the AUS Blues committee.
- The Sports Association scholarship has been established by Adelaide University Sport and the University. This scholarship is to benefit two students per year who are undertaking an Undergraduate or Honours program of study and who have been identified as members of AUS. The value of the scholarship is $2500 per student and is available for one year.
Other awards available are:
- The Coopers Award (one), presented by AUS's Primary Sponsor, Coopers. This scholarship is awarded to an AUSA affiliated club member to undertake further studies in sports management.
- Fast Twitch training scholarship (two), awarded to an AUS affiliated club member or AU student for a 3-month training and testing program at Fast Twitch.
*Where no "Don Stranks" Scholarships are awarded in any year, the number of "Bob Heddle" Scholarships may be increased.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 2 March, 2012.