Urrbrae House Historic Precinct
Please Note: Restoration building work is currently being undertaken at Urrbrae House. We are attempting to keep things "business as usual" but appreciate your understanding that we may need to close the house at relatively short notice. Please check our What's On? calendar or ring 83137497 to confirm opening times.
The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct is situated on the Waite Campus of the University of Adelaide on land bequeathed by Peter Waite to the University in 1922, for use in part as an agricultural research and teaching facility and in part as an area for public recreation. The land has remained unsubdivided since 1839. The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct has a commitment to community outreach and is an accredited museum with History SA.
The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct incorporates
One of South Australia's most significant heritage houses and the historic heart of the Waite Campus Learn More
The site of the first laboratory of the Waite Agricultural Research Institute where groundbreaking work was conducted in the 1920s and 1930s Learn More
The Battery House is believed to be the first purpose built domestic powerhouse in South Australia Learn More
Collections held within the Urrbrae House Historic Precinct include house furniture and artefacts, Peter Waite Library Books and the historic Waite Scientific Collection. Photographs and archival materials relating to the Waite Agricultural Research Institute are also held. Learn More