Editing Images with Microsoft Picture Manager
If you need to resize an image before adding it to your website, the instructions below can help you crop and resize the image using Microsoft Picture Manager.
Microsoft Picture Manager (available on most University computers) can be accessed by clicking the Start button and searching through the program list.
- Open Picture Manager and click File > Add Picture Shortcut
- Select the appropriate folder where the image is saved (i.e. My Pictures) and click Add
- All images held within that folder should then appear on screen
- When the images are displayed, double-click on the image you want to resize
- Click Edit Pictures from the top toolbar
- Click Resize from the options on the right-hand side of the page
- Choose either a predefined size, custom size or percentage size and click OK to see the image in that new size.
- If you are happy, go to File > Save As. If you aren't happy, click the Undo arrow and start again.
Note: remember the filename should be saved in lowercase with an underscore (_) used instead of spaces, if required.
Alternatively, you can also crop to reduce the size of the images.
- To crop an image, click on Crop from the options on the right-hand side of the page.
- You will see the image becomes surrounded by crop handles which allow you to drag the borders in until you are satisifed (the area you have chosen to be cropped will appear shaded). Then click ok.
- If you aren't happy with the cropped image, click on the Undo arrow from the toolbar at the top of the page. If you're happy with how the image looks and you think it'll be a suitable size for the web page, then save the image by going to File > Save As.
Note: remember the filename should be saved in lowercase with a hyphen (-) used instead of spaces, if required.