Editing Images With Pixlr
Pixlr is an open-source web based image editor which you can find at:
Pixlr is very user-friendly and is all based within your browser window. Open an image that is saved on your computer and you can easily edit, resize and save as.
Once you have opened your image, go to Image > Image Size to see the current size. Never increase the size of an image as you will lose quality.
Cropping an Image With Pixlr
If you already have a set aspect ratio that you need to use for an image, for example W230px x H150px for a pod or widget image, you can constrain the crop to that exact output pixel size.
Cropping an Image to a Specific Size
- Select the Crop tool (the top left icon in the tool menu) then click on the No restriction dropdown menu, and select Output size.
- Enter in the desired Height and Width and drag over your image to capture the ideal crop, adjusting as needed from the corner of the selection box.
- Double click your mouse on the image to perform the crop.
Cropping an Image to Any Size
- If you do not have a set aspect ratio, click on the the Crop tool and select the No restriction option.
- Freely drag and adjust the selection box to the desired shape, but you will still most likely need to change the image size after this.
- Go to Image > Image Size and adjust the Width or Height.
Note: always keep the Constrain Proportions ticked to keep the image ratios correct.
Saving the Image
- When you are happy with the image, go to File > Save and save it on your computer.
- Enter the file name, remember to stick to file naming conventions used when adding files to the website, using all lower case, do not include and spaces and use dashes (-) instead of underscores.
- Select JPEG (Good for most photos) for the format, and scrole the slider anywhere bettween 80 and 90 (this saves the image as a compressed JPG).
- Click OK and save the file in a location you can easily find, ready for use on the web.
Visit the Pattern Library for a list of image size examples and tips for placing images on web pages.