Cadetships with government or private enterprise assist students with work placement while they study. These cadetships help students gain the professional qualifications and experience needed for a range of jobs and the opportunity to move into employment when they have completed their study.
The National Indigenous Cadetship Project
The National Indigenous Cadetship Project (NICP) links Indigenous tertiary students with employers in a cadetship arrangement involving full-time study and work placements.
- a study allowance while undertaking full-time study
- help with the cost of books and equipment
- paid work placements that are relevant to their studies.
Cadets who are studying away from home may also be eligible for limited travel assistance.
How to apply
You can register online at http://www.deewr.gov.au/Indigenous/HigherEducation/Programs/Pages/NationalIndigenousCadetshipProjectNICPforStudents.aspx or call the Indigenous employment line on 1802 102 to get a registration form or emailing email@example.com
Cadetships through NICP are offered by a number of different organisations, for example:
Government departments: eg
- SA Government
- Dept of Defence
- Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Transport , Energy & Infrastructure
- Australian Public Service Commission
Mining companies: eg
- BHP Billiton
- Rio Tinto