Conduct at the University of Adelaide
The University believes that although an education institution is necessarily challenging and competitive, a comfortable, supportive and tolerant atmosphere is vital.
Thus the University expects:
- All students and staff of the University to treat each other
- All students and staff of the University to treat the University
environment and property with care.
- All students and staff of the University to become familiar
with and to follow all University policies and practices that
are relevant to their field of study or work.
- All students and staff of the University to observe their colleagues' right to work and study in an environment free from discrimination and harassment in the form of intimidation, threat and humiliation.
The University recognises that academics have a duty of care to their students.
- Academics have an obligation to diligently teach and assess
- Academic and general staff are expected to respond to the diversity of students' needs and to pay due attention to student feedback.
For further details see the full policy on Conduct at the University of Adelaide.
If you believe that you have suffered as a result of someone behaving outside these stated expectations, contact the offices listed below to discuss the best way to deal with the issue.
There are processes for dealing with general misconduct. The people below can advise on the specific application of these procedures in an individual case.
For any assistance, please contact Wilto Yerlo Student Support (08) 8303 3623 or Freecall 1800 651 763.
Education & Welfare
Education & Welfare officers provide information and advice on a wide range of issues, internal and external to the University. They are part of the Student Care offices, located on the ground floor of the Lady Symon Building.
Discrimination at the University of Adelaide
It is against the law to discriminate against another person on any of the following grounds:
- sexuality or presumed sexuality
- marital status
- political beliefs
- religious beliefs
If any students have issues with any of the above or feel that you are experiencing a form of harassment or discrimination and are unsure of who to contact or what to do next, please feel free to talk to a Student Support Officer, even if the issue doesn't seem to fall into any obvious category.
Policies and Procedures
The following is a list of website addresses which outline University policies and procedures as they relate to specific topics:
The University will be developing its Disability policy in 2001, however students requiring more information or assistance can contact the Disability Liaison Officer, phone: 8303 5962, TTY: 8303 4254, Fax: 8303 3338 or Email
Student Grievance: Policies and Procedures
If you have a student grievance and wish to make a formal complaint, you can begin the process through
- a Student Support Officer at Wilto Yerlo
- an Education and Welfare
Officer at the the University of Adelaide Union
- an the University of Adelaide Union Student Union Representative on (08) 8303 5406
For more information or assistance please contact Student Support Officers at Wilto Yerlo, phone (08) 8303 3623 or Freecall 1800 651 763.